Old 11-04-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default New to gardening

"Hud" wrote in message

I do worry about rabbits. I thought a chicken wire fence might be a good
idea. But then a friend told me that rabbits just dig right under them.

I have never had rabbits dig under a fence. I use the cheap 50' rolls of
plastic "rabbit fencing" and those cheap metal fence poles from the local
Lowe's Store. Make sure you bury the bottom few inches so they don't
squeeze under.

Someone else told me to pour ammonia on the ground all around my garden.
He said that would keep them out.

No, that will not work. The ammonia dissipates quickly.

Another buddy told me to get some cat fur,
stuff it in panty hose and hang it on posts on the corners of the garden
to ward off rabbits.

That only works until they realize no real live cats are available. We've
tried every trick in the book including the blood meal and nothing worked
but the anti-rabbit fencing. Since the new neighbors now have 3 cats, the
rabbit population has dropped.

I've never heard of any of these ideas before. Anybody
have any other good ideas on how to keep rabbits out of the garden?
Thoughts?

Old 11-04-2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Manelli Family" wrote in
:

*trim*

If you're going to grow carrots and beans make sure you are either in
a rabbit free area or fence the veggie patch. If there are rabbits
they will eat the tops off right down to an inch or two above the
ground. They don't touch peppers or tomatoes.

At one time we had something eating tomato plants. The solution my
mother used when I was young was simply to put a bit of screen around the
base of the cages, and that solved the problem.

The only thing that ever ate our tomatoe plants was the despised "tomatoe
horn worm." That would be useless against them. You may be talking about
the cut worm which circles plants at the bottom and they topple and die.

Puckdropper

Old 11-04-2007, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Manelli Family wrote:

"Hud" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, the fencing worked fine for me too. I used regular chicken wire,
had the posts only about four feet apart, if that and didn't bury the
bottom. I just left a couple inches on the bottom and pulled it tight
enough between the posts. The posts were close enough to keep the wire
tight and I had no problem with rabbits getting in.

I've since dismantled that and went with a netting approach. I use
regular PVC plumbing piping to make hoops over the raised beds and got
some great netting from Lee Valley and draped it over. It keeps the
cats, birds and rabbits out (no deer or raccoons here).

Here's an awkward picture of one of the raised beds with the hoops and
netting:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times

With carrots, turnip and other low growing plants (even celery), I was
able to leave the netting on all summer. For the tall growing plants
like the few corn I had, the netting was long enough to make a fence
around the raised bed. The netting was pulled tight to nails in the
sides of the wooden beds. This way, the netting was high enough to
dissuade not only rabbits, but the cats too. A neighbour's dog also had
no problem jumping the chicken wire and trampling through the beds...he
doesn't go near them with the hoops.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's still chilly Far East.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message

I've since dismantled that and went with a netting approach. I use regular
PVC plumbing piping to make hoops over the raised beds and got some great
netting from Lee Valley and draped it over. It keeps the cats, birds and
rabbits out (no deer or raccoons here).

Here's an awkward picture of one of the raised beds with the hoops and
netting:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times

The site is either password protected or has a problem as no picture is
there! Perhaps you gave us the wrong URL or an incomplete URL? I would
love to see what it looks like.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Manelli Family wrote:

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message

I've since dismantled that and went with a netting approach. I use
regular PVC plumbing piping to make hoops over the raised beds and got
some great netting from Lee Valley and draped it over. It keeps the
cats, birds and rabbits out (no deer or raccoons here).

Here's an awkward picture of one of the raised beds with the hoops and
netting:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times

The site is either password protected or has a problem as no picture is
there! Perhaps you gave us the wrong URL or an incomplete URL? I would
love to see what it looks like.

Hmmm...okay...try this one...hopefully it's not too long:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East

Old 11-04-2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ink.net,
"Lil' Dave" wrote:

"William Rose" wrote in message
In article .net,
"Lil' Dave" wrote:

Keep it turned
once a couple of weeks.

How does this affect the earthworm?

- Bill

Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Hope there's more than one. Why is there just one in your scenario?

If you mean earthworms, same as the helpful bacteria and other small stuff.
Some are injured, some die, most get better access to the nutrients they
feed on.

If you want to something of concern that directly affects plants, how about
the bee population decreasing.

Dave

I had the bee scare last year when they were late showing up to
pollinate the zuchs. Baby zuchs just withered away. Eventually, the bees
arrived and, life was good once more. At the time, I thought the flower
lady across the street had been splashing Sevin around. Later found it
was a more wide spread affair. This year I'm putting out bee balm and
other bee attractants, to encourage their patronage but, from what I
read, it doesn't sound hopeful, "Fall Dwindle Disease" to "Colony
Collapse"?

Numerero-uno, we need to look at the messenger. Remember that "news
papers" aren't about informing, they are about making money and, "if it
bleeds, it leads". If you don't sell papers, advertisers won't advertise
and, the paper won't make a profit. Corporate ownership adds another
wrinkle (I'll save that rant for another time.). Anyway, sensationalism
sells.

Numero-two-o, somethin' is happen here but, what it is, isn't exactly
clear. Bees that don't fly away, but stay with the hive, seem to have
multiple diseases, kinda like "AIDS" for bees. No, I don't want to know
what they're doing in there but what ever it is, it isn't pretty.
Apparently, even honey-bee predators won't go into the unguarded hives.

Numero-three-o, Maybe over this growing season, we could report to the
group on the appearance or disappearance of honey-bees in our own
gardens in order to try to make some sense out of this.

Like Freedom, a good garden requires constant vigilance.

I hate ending on such a bummer, so Ill leave you with the following
thought to contemplate.

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God."

Old 11-04-2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Hud Hud is offline

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"Hud" wrote in message

[...]

I didn't know they made anti-rabbit fencing. Sounds like just the thing I
need. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Hud Hud is offline

Manelli Family wrote:

"Hud" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, it looks like you definitely solved the rabbit problem.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Manelli Family" wrote in
:

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...

At one time we had something eating tomato plants. The solution my
mother used when I was young was simply to put a bit of screen around
the base of the cages, and that solved the problem.

The only thing that ever ate our tomatoe plants was the despised
"tomatoe horn worm." That would be useless against them. You may be
talking about the cut worm which circles plants at the bottom and they
topple and die.

I think rabbits got blamed. Maybe they were hungry and even less fond of
the strawberries (that the birds liked and so they got netting put over
them.)

Puckdropper

Old 11-04-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Manelli Family wrote:
The site is either password protected or has a problem as no picture is
there! Perhaps you gave us the wrong URL or an incomplete URL? I would
love to see what it looks like.

Hmmm...okay...try this one...hopefully it's not too long:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times

This must be a huge monster size picture or the website is having problems.
It says 'downloading data' now for over 15 minutes and I still have a blank
screen - no picture. Oh well........ thanks for trying.