Old 14-06-2007, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Replace with?

Leaf lettuce is seeding. Gotta pull it all up, eat, and give away rest.
Adjacent plants are jalapenos and tomatoes doing well in central TX heat.

Want to seed for something I like to eat. Never tried growing cantalope
(cantaloupe). Is it too late in season for this if planting seed?

Raised garden. Average depth of soil is 6" brought in. Various bagged
potting soils, 10-5-5 fertilizer, sandy loam with some clay. Use ditch
irrigation, deep soak method. Water drains well.

Planted watermelon seed in same garden to replace spinach some 3 weeks ago.
Its got 3rd set of leaves now. My son says its too late in season for that?

Will probably go with spinach and leaf lettuce seed again in September.
Don't expect much of frost here till November.
Dave

Old 14-06-2007, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Dave" wrote in
k.net:

*snip*

Planted watermelon seed in same garden to replace spinach some 3 weeks
ago. Its got 3rd set of leaves now. My son says its too late in
season for that?

Will probably go with spinach and leaf lettuce seed again in
September. Don't expect much of frost here till November.
Dave

If you're not getting much frost until November, you might get good
production from you watermelon. Mine have usually got at least a foot by
how, and are getting ready to race. I think watermelon may be the only
plant you'll be able to SEE grow.

Puckdropper

Old 14-06-2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ews.net,
Puckdropper wrote:

"Dave" wrote in
k.net:

*snip*

Planted watermelon seed in same garden to replace spinach some 3 weeks
ago. Its got 3rd set of leaves now. My son says its too late in
season for that?

Will probably go with spinach and leaf lettuce seed again in
September. Don't expect much of frost here till November.
Dave

If you're not getting much frost until November, you might get good
production from you watermelon. Mine have usually got at least a foot by
how, and are getting ready to race. I think watermelon may be the only
plant you'll be able to SEE grow.

Puckdropper

We don't generally get a frost here until after Thanksgiving.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 14-06-2007, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ews.net,
Puckdropper wrote:

"Dave" wrote in
k.net:

*snip*

Planted watermelon seed in same garden to replace spinach some 3 weeks
ago. Its got 3rd set of leaves now. My son says its too late in
season for that?

Will probably go with spinach and leaf lettuce seed again in
September. Don't expect much of frost here till November.
Dave

If you're not getting much frost until November, you might get good
production from you watermelon. Mine have usually got at least a foot by
how, and are getting ready to race. I think watermelon may be the only
plant you'll be able to SEE grow.

Puckdropper

We don't generally get a frost here until after Thanksgiving.

Thats what I was thinkin'. The watermelons seeds that I've seen call for
anywhere from 65 to 120 days. 120 days gives you to the beginning of
Nov. plos a few days to spare. Times awastin'. Get to it.

- Bill
Old 14-06-2007, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

If you're not getting much frost until November, you might get good
production from you watermelon. Mine have usually got at least a foot by
how, and are getting ready to race. I think watermelon may be the only
plant you'll be able to SEE grow.

Puckdropper

We don't generally get a frost here until after Thanksgiving.

Thats what I was thinkin'. The watermelons seeds that I've seen call for
anywhere from 65 to 120 days. 120 days gives you to the beginning of
Nov. plos a few days to spare. Times awastin'. Get to it.

- Bill

Indeed... Not an edible but I'm fixin' to stick some birdhouse gourd
seeds into the ground on the fence line. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 14-06-2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

If you're not getting much frost until November, you might get good
production from you watermelon. Mine have usually got at least a foot
by
how, and are getting ready to race. I think watermelon may be the only
plant you'll be able to SEE grow.

Puckdropper

We don't generally get a frost here until after Thanksgiving.

Thats what I was thinkin'. The watermelons seeds that I've seen call for
anywhere from 65 to 120 days. 120 days gives you to the beginning of
Nov. plos a few days to spare. Times awastin'. Get to it.

- Bill

Indeed... Not an edible but I'm fixin' to stick some birdhouse gourd
seeds into the ground on the fence line. :-)

Have you grown them before? I have one in the ground (2 wks) and 2
standing by for an opportunity. I see that you have to dry and lacquer
them but it is always nice to have somebody with experience to hold your
hand the first time.

- Billy
Old 15-06-2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet, could you email me? I seem to have suddenly become a Luddite.

- Billy
Old 16-06-2007, 06:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ews.net,
Puckdropper wrote:

"Dave" wrote in
k.net:

*snip*

[...]

As I said, planted about 3 weeks ago. 3rd set of leaves now. Did I omit
something?

Was wondering about the cantalope primarily...
Dave

Old 27-06-2007, 09:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ews.net,
Puckdropper wrote:

"Dave" wrote in
k.net:

*snip*

[...]

Did you plant some yet? There are some short season cantalopes
that you'd probably be able to grow. I can't think of which catalog
I saw them in. My normal catalogs are Pinetree Seeds, Territorial,
Nichols and Johnny's. This late in the season, an order that was faxed
or emailed in would probably get shipped within a day or two.

Ah, another short season catalog seedsman is High Altitude Gardens
in Idaho. All open pollinated seed.

Jan in Alaska