Old 24-06-2007, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Where are my strawberries?

I have a dozen strawberry plants, eight that I planted last year and four
that I planted this year. The plants all look healthy but they haven't
produced a single berry. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

I'm in Massachusetts.
Old 24-06-2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Any flowers?

news |I have a dozen strawberry plants, eight that I planted last year and four

Old 24-06-2007, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:06:54 -0400, Kimberly wrote:

Any flowers?

"Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz" wrote in message
news plants, eight that I planted last year and four | that I planted this
year. The plants all look healthy but they haven't | produced a single
berry. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong? |
| I'm in Massachusetts.

There were flowers a few weeks ago but not now.
Old 24-06-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:06:54 -0400, Kimberly wrote:

Any flowers?

"Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz" wrote in message
news plants, eight that I planted last year and four | that I planted this
year. The plants all look healthy but they haven't | produced a single
berry. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong? |
| I'm in Massachusetts.

There were flowers a few weeks ago but not now.

What kind of fertilizer?
--
Billy
Old 24-06-2007, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:42:07 -0700, Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:06:54 -0400, Kimberly wrote:

Any flowers?

"Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz" wrote in
message news strawberry plants, eight that I planted last year and four | that I
planted this year. The plants all look healthy but they haven't |
produced a single berry. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing
wrong? | | I'm in Massachusetts.

There were flowers a few weeks ago but not now.

What kind of fertilizer?

Some Miracle Grow and some 10 10 10

Old 24-06-2007, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:42:07 -0700, Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:06:54 -0400, Kimberly wrote:

Any flowers?

"Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz" wrote in
message news strawberry plants, eight that I planted last year and four | that I
planted this year. The plants all look healthy but they haven't |
produced a single berry. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing
wrong? | | I'm in Massachusetts.

There were flowers a few weeks ago but not now.

What kind of fertilizer?

Some Miracle Grow and some 10 10 10

Could be your problem. It appears that strawberry bed are normally
fertilized at the beginning of the growing year and then again at the
end. Once you see flowers, you don't want to give them more nitrogen.
Nitrogen encourages vegetative growth. Hopefully you can wait out the
nitrogen, if that is the problem.
--
Billy
Old 24-06-2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
[...]

Sorry, let me take another short run at this. You may not want to
fertilize at the end of the season because you will get the plant to
produce new growth that will only be killed off by the winter.

Check http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/2067.htm

Hope that helps.
--
Billy
Old 24-06-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I have a dozen strawberry plants, eight that I planted last year and four
that I planted this year. The plants all look healthy but they haven't
produced a single berry. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

How much sun?
Old 24-06-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 24 Jun 2007 13:19:35 GMT, Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
wrote:

I have a dozen strawberry plants, eight that I planted last year and four
that I planted this year. The plants all look healthy but they haven't
produced a single berry. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

I'm in Massachusetts.

In western NC it takes 6 to 7 weeks from bloom to ripe strawberry. In
MA it is probably more like 7 to 8 weeks. This information from my
husband, the strawberry grower.
--
Susan N.

Old 25-06-2007, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Last year I had few, this year I had loads. I think strawberries
takes a couple years to begin having a big crop.

Old 25-06-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 24, 11:19 pm, Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
wrote:
I have a dozen strawberry plants, eight that I planted last year and four
that I planted this year. The plants all look healthy but they haven't
produced a single berry. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

I'm in Massachusetts.

You said they are flowering. Do any small green/white fruit appear
after the flowers?

If no I will have to rethink but I am going to guess yes. In that
case something that likes strawberries is getting to them before you
do.

1) birds
2) ants or some other small pest
3) neighbours' kids

Watch carefully to determine which it is and take appropriate action.

David

Old 25-06-2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 18:30:25 -0400, Jim Kingdon wrote:

I have a dozen strawberry plants, eight that I planted last year and
four that I planted this year. The plants all look healthy but they
haven't produced a single berry. Can anyone tell me what I might be
doing wrong?

How much sun?

It's not a lot of sun. BTW I found the start of one berry today.

Moving Strawberries Lilac Edible Gardening 1 03-06-2003 05:44 PM
strawberries? H United Kingdom 6 21-02-2003 08:33 PM
Question about strawberries! Claude Gardening 5 06-02-2003 12:48 PM
Indian Strawberries again JLee United Kingdom 3 21-11-2002 02:33 PM
Strawberries? Dwayne United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 02:27 PM