Old 11-09-2007, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomatoes and Basil

In addition to the wonderful tabouli, here is another way to enjoy
tomatoes:

Cut tomatoes into cubes or just plain bits, chop basil leaves, mince
garlic, combine with olive oil, add a bit of salt (pepper if you want),
and chill. Very refreshing. :-)

Glenna

Old 11-09-2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Steve wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:26:56 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

And then there is insalata caprice.

Layer slices of fresh tomato with whole fresh basil leaves and fresh
mozarella cheese slices. Drizzle with vinagrette, chill and serve.

Yum.
In Italy the caprese maker omits the vinegar and drizzles a little EVO
on the dish. True heaven.
And I leave in 10 days...ahhhh.

I envy you. :-)

I actually learned about that dish on alt.binaries.food.

I did not grow any veggies this year (just herbs and stuff) but I do
plan to next year.

Grossery store tomatoes just don't cut it. I need to hit the Farmers
Market before it gets to be too late in the year.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Steve wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:06:22 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Grossery store tomatoes just don't cut it.

Tip: A grocery store tomato in front of each wheel will keep your car
from rolling while you change a flat tire.

ROFL!!!

I need to hit the Farmers
Market before it gets to be too late in the year.

Go get 'em.

Indeed...

SO sweet and rich!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

wrote:

And then there is insalata caprice.

Layer slices of fresh tomato with whole fresh basil leaves and fresh
mozarella cheese slices. Drizzle with vinagrette, chill and serve.

Yum.
In Italy the caprese maker omits the vinegar and drizzles a little EVO
on the dish. True heaven.
And I leave in 10 days...ahhhh.

I envy you. :-)

I actually learned about that dish on alt.binaries.food.

I did not grow any veggies this year (just herbs and stuff) but I do
plan to next year.

Grossery store tomatoes just don't cut it. I need to hit the Farmers
Market before it gets to be too late in the year.

Slice French bread in half (length wise) and place under cut side up
under broiler until toasted. Rub toasted bread with garlic. Drizzle
toasted face with olive oil. Place a layer of basil leaves, then sliced
tomato, and finally sprinkle with parmesan or romano cheese. Return,
face up to broiler until cheese browns lightly. Slice into 3" to 4"
pieces and serve.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley

Old 12-09-2007, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Slice French bread in half (length wise) and place under cut side up
under broiler until toasted. Rub toasted bread with garlic. Drizzle
toasted face with olive oil. Place a layer of basil leaves, then sliced
tomato, and finally sprinkle with parmesan or romano cheese. Return,
face up to broiler until cheese browns lightly. Slice into 3" to 4"
pieces and serve.
--
FB - FFF

Damn. You have me drooling. ;-) I've not had lunch yet and was too busy
to eat breakfast. I've not eaten since about 2 am. (I work nights g)

Kinda like fresh pizza.

The only thing I'd add to the above is just a small amount of Marjoram.
Similar flavor to Oregano but lighter, less bitter.

Mexican Oregano is similar to Marjoram, and I actually grow that.

Using fresh tomatoes and herbs in place of a cooked tomato sauce is
seriously the gods...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.