Old 09-10-2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hemp (Corn-to-Ethanol: US Agribusiness Magic Path To A World Food Monopoly)

writes:
doofy wrote in
:

nzlstar* wrote:
how about growing industrial hemp.
has many uses we could sure do with now and i dont think
it is edible so unlike corn is not taking food off the
table. industrial also is too low in THC to bother using
it for recreational purposes.
i'm not sure how the laws in various countrys deal with
the industrial stuff.
j.

In the US it is generally verbotten, though some farmers
are trying to get it ok, with LOTS of govt. oversight, and
interference.

it is legal to grow industrial hemp in North Dakota now,
with, as you say, lots of oversight.
i expect that we'll be allowed to grow it soon in NH & i'll
be in line for a license. it's a great cash crop for marginal
land, & needs little to no chemical help to thrive.
lee

From what I've read about industrial hemp, uses and growing conditions, it
would seem logical for our U.S. government to subsidize hemp farmers
instead of tobacco farmers. Deep in my memory banks, the "reason" farmers
(using the word loosely) grow tobacco is that the soil is too poor to grow
anything else and they get government subsidies so they can stay in
business. Keep in mind this info came across from politicians years ago,
but the question keeps popping into my head, why don't they grow hemp
instead of tobacco? We might even get multiple industries thriving.
Personally, I prefer to buy fabric for sewing that was made in the U.S.A.
which is getting more and more difficult with each passing year as is
clothing made in the U.S.A.

Of course, I also think we should ditch the income tax and go to a
straight federal sales tax (distributed to all state, county and city
agencies), excluding food, housing and health care. People would be
encouraged to save as they don't pay any tax until they spend (read
retirement savings and college funds). However, the biggie is no
loopholes for the wealthy; when they buy that expensive vehicle, they pay
tax on it rather than write it off for business purposes, so it won't ever
happen 'cuz they must have their write-offs. After low-income people (who
spend most of their money on food and housing) receiving the biggest tax
break, the biggest benefit would be that all the "underground income"
would be taxed at the time of spending including under-the-table wages and
illegally gotten funds which currently never collect income tax. In the
long-run, we who are honest would wind up actually paying less tax. It
irritates me that we, in essence, often are taxed on the same money
multiple times. A straight sales tax would end that little game as well.
Of course, written into the sales tax law would have to be no future
income tax, ever. The thing about sales tax is that we, the consumers,
have no paperwork to do; it's all done at the time of purchase as well as
the tax being collected at that time and paid to the Dept. of Revenue
weekly or monthly depending on size of business. Of course, IRS wouldn't
like it because it would take billions of dollars less in annual payroll
to record the collection of sales tax versus income tax. Just another way
to streamline government, save the honest taxpayers money - nope, it'll
never happen.

Hemp: Bio-fuel source, clothing source, etc., and all the industries that
spring up around it. If the smokers want to smoke it, let them providing
what I hear about hemp for smoking is correct (that is is not at all like
smoking its near cousin).

Imagine the new jobs created if hemp growing were legalized so the
resulting industries could thrive. Oh, but wait, fabric made with hemp
is supposed to be more durable than most others so there we go, jobs
reduced before they are even created.

Sorry folks, no current research, just decades-old information, but the
questions are still floating around in that anti-smoking brain of mine.
(Currently courtesy of mother who will smoke rather than pay her utility
bills and whose favorite song includes the words, "Smoke, smoke yourself
to death. Tell St. Peter at the Golden Gate that he'll just have to wait;
I just gotta have another cigarette." Same mother who swears her throat
cancer in 1992 was because of a cold rather than 40+ years of smoking 2 or
more packs a day and told my niece that smoking doesn't hurt you. But I'm
not biased!)

Yes, grow industrial hemp, not tobacco!

Glenna

Old 09-10-2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Glenna Rose wrote:

Sorry folks, no current research, just decades-old information, but the
questions are still floating around in that anti-smoking brain of mine.
(Currently courtesy of mother who will smoke rather than pay her utility
bills and whose favorite song includes the words, "Smoke, smoke yourself
to death. Tell St. Peter at the Golden Gate that he'll just have to wait;
I just gotta have another cigarette." Same mother who swears her throat
cancer in 1992 was because of a cold rather than 40+ years of smoking 2 or
more packs a day and told my niece that smoking doesn't hurt you. But I'm
not biased!)

Yes, grow industrial hemp, not tobacco!

Glenna

Get your mom a rolling machine, and slip her some flavoring.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JRY JRY is offline

.. Deep in my memory banks, the "reason" farmers
(using the word loosely) grow tobacco is that the soil is too poor to grow
anything else and they get government subsidies so they can stay in
business. Keep in mind this info came across from politicians years ago,

Glenna

No tobacco is grown on excellent soil and is taken very good care of.Again
that's for the top quality tobacco used in cigars not that anemic sickly
looking stuff grown in Va.,Tn, or anyplace other than Pioneer Valley along
the Connecticut River and a small area of Florida.
Fields that used to have field or shade tobacco on them are now growing
everything from lettuce,beans,squash,eggplant,bokchoy just about any veggie
that will grow in zone5 are doing great on fields that were once tobacco
fields.
Tobacco always was a cash crop and will stay that way till there is no
demand for. Its a crop that is labor intensive but when you can make clear
thousands of dollar per acre people will continue to grow it.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 9, 8:07 pm, Billy wrote:
In article fc.003d094102317f103b9aca006e8d30bb.2317...@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

Hemp: Bio-fuel source, clothing source, etc., and all the industries that
spring up around it. If the smokers want to smoke it, let them providing
what I hear about hemp for smoking is correct (that is is not at all like
smoking its near cousin).

No, but from the air, it will drive the DEA crazy. I presume it's
infared fingerprint looks an awful lot like the local wacko weed.

Fiber hemp is planted close together, so that the individual
plants will compete for sunlight and grow tall, producing
longer fibers (aka bast). Such plants can exceed 20 feet in
height, with few or no branches. Shorter C. Indica strains are
given more breathing space so that the plants can bush out
and produce more flower clusters. Additionally, male plants
will be culled out early to prolong the females' flowering stage,
boosting THC content. The two subspecies look nothing alike,
save for the characteristic fingerlike leaves, and then only
vaguely so.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

(Glenna Rose) wrote:

[...]

The infrared signatures aren't similar?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 9, 11:51 pm, Billy wrote:

(Glenna Rose) wrote:

[...]

Do stalks show up the same as leaves and flowers?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . com,
Ferd Farkel wrote:

On Oct 9, 11:51 pm, Billy wrote:

(Glenna Rose) wrote:

[...]

Do you always answer a question with a question?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 11, 10:06 pm, Billy wrote:
In article . com,
Ferd Farkel wrote:

On Oct 9, 11:51 pm, Billy wrote:

(Glenna Rose) wrote:

[...]

Sometimes a question isn't really a question.

Old 13-10-2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ferd Farkel wrote:
On Oct 11, 10:06 pm, Billy wrote:

In article . com,
Ferd Farkel wrote:

On Oct 9, 11:51 pm, Billy wrote:

(Glenna Rose) wrote:

[...]

Sometimes it's just a cigar.
Old 14-10-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 12, 1:52 am, Ferd Farkel wrote:
On Oct 11, 10:06 pm, Billy wrote:

In article . com,
Ferd Farkel wrote:

On Oct 9, 11:51 pm, Billy wrote:

(Glenna Rose) wrote:

[...]

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those
who understand binary, and those who don't.

Old 14-10-2007, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ferd Farkel wrote:

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those
who understand binary, and those who don't.

oh, groan, and very good.
Old 14-10-2007, 10:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 9, 12:31 pm, (Glenna Rose) wrote:
writes:
doofy wrote in
:

nzlstar* wrote:
how about growing industrial hemp.
has many uses we could sure do with now and i dont think
it is edible so unlike corn is not taking food off the
table. industrial also is too low in THC to bother using
it for recreational purposes.
i'm not sure how the laws in various countrys deal with
the industrial stuff.
j.

In the US it is generally verbotten, though some farmers
are trying to get it ok, with LOTS of govt. oversight, and
interference.

it is legal to grow industrial hemp in North Dakota now,
with, as you say, lots of oversight.
i expect that we'll be allowed to grow it soon in NH & i'll
be in line for a license. it's a great cash crop for marginal
land, & needs little to no chemical help to thrive.
lee

From what I've read about industrial hemp, uses and growing conditions, it
[...]

Glenna- Hide quoted text -

Tax: A straight across the board 10% Fed tax, money going either way
(Including corporations) would eliminate the need for any state taxes,
fuel taxes, sales tax, and eliminate so many jobs (government jobs)
that our system could not handle it, also there would be plenty of
money to take care of our kids schooling (lotto's what a joke for
education money) And the one big benefit child care, medical that is,
Ohhh Ohhh yepper here's a person here that would make sure any child
that needed medical care would get it (Not like a certain anti-child
supposed leader in Washington DC)

Hemp: Same signature on radar and all other electronic type home
invasion, this also includes tomato plants by the way. As for creation
of jobs, yes it would create a bunch of jobs, As for hemps close
cousin, legalize it, and tax it, it's already a fact booze is worse
than pot, America needs to wake up!

Old 14-10-2007, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 14, 5:13 am, wawwiz wrote:
On Oct 9, 12:31 pm, (Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:
doofy wrote in
:

nzlstar* wrote:
how about growing industrial hemp.
has many uses we could sure do with now and i dont think
it is edible so unlike corn is not taking food off the
table. industrial also is too low in THC to bother using
it for recreational purposes.
i'm not sure how the laws in various countrys deal with
the industrial stuff.
j.

In the US it is generally verbotten, though some farmers
are trying to get it ok, with LOTS of govt. oversight, and
interference.

it is legal to grow industrial hemp in North Dakota now,
with, as you say, lots of oversight.
i expect that we'll be allowed to grow it soon in NH & i'll
be in line for a license. it's a great cash crop for marginal
land, & needs little to no chemical help to thrive.
lee

From what I've read about industrial hemp, uses and growing conditions, it
[...]

Chop off the sunleaves. Cut the nitrogen. Yellowing plants
won't show up the same, the buds are stickier, and the taste
is much less like dried spinach.

Other close cousins of c. sativa include hops, used to
flavor beer.