Old 29-04-2008, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Are you 'breaking the rules' by growing fruit or vegetables in yourflower beds?

Who has a few veggies tucked in their flower beds? My mom always
sneaks a container with a tomato plant into her side yard. She grows
a bush variety so it doesn't take up too much space. It gets watered
by the sprinklers automatically so she doesn't have to worry about it.

I've got a pepper growing in a side plot too. You don't notice it's a
veggie until the peppers start turning colors. I've also got culinary
sage growing, it has beautiful blue flowers in the spring too.

Who else is 'breaking the rules'? What are you growing?

Old 29-04-2008, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Laura from MomsRetro.com" wrote in
:

Who has a few veggies tucked in their flower beds? My mom always
sneaks a container with a tomato plant into her side yard. She grows
a bush variety so it doesn't take up too much space. It gets watered
by the sprinklers automatically so she doesn't have to worry about it.

I've got a pepper growing in a side plot too. You don't notice it's a
veggie until the peppers start turning colors. I've also got culinary
sage growing, it has beautiful blue flowers in the spring too.

Who else is 'breaking the rules'? What are you growing?

I've thought about putting some onion in my mother's flower bed (more for
bug and pest control than anything else), but I've got my own garden to
tend. I did plant marigolds in my "edible" garden, though. They seemed
to have lots of positive things they did for the garden with very little
negative.

Breaking the rules? I guess, if you believe in pure flower and vegetable
gardens. Gardeners for years have planted flowers as companions to
vegetables.

We might still plant onion in the flower garden, if we start getting too
many pests...

Puckdropper

Old 29-04-2008, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Laura from MomsRetro.com" wrote in message
Who has a few veggies tucked in their flower beds? My mom always
sneaks a container with a tomato plant into her side yard. She grows
a bush variety so it doesn't take up too much space. It gets watered
by the sprinklers automatically so she doesn't have to worry about it.

I've got a pepper growing in a side plot too. You don't notice it's a
veggie until the peppers start turning colors. I've also got culinary
sage growing, it has beautiful blue flowers in the spring too.

Who else is 'breaking the rules'? What are you growing?

Globe artichokes, great geometric folliage for the ornamental garden.

David

Old 29-04-2008, 11:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Laura from MomsRetro.com said:

Who has a few veggies tucked in their flower beds? My mom always
sneaks a container with a tomato plant into her side yard. She grows
a bush variety so it doesn't take up too much space. It gets watered
by the sprinklers automatically so she doesn't have to worry about it.

I've got a pepper growing in a side plot too. You don't notice it's a
veggie until the peppers start turning colors. I've also got culinary
sage growing, it has beautiful blue flowers in the spring too.

Who else is 'breaking the rules'? What are you growing?

I like to tuck herbs and edible* ornamental peppers in my container
arrangements.

The only edibles in my flower beds (these days) are the daylilies.

But I do grow my giant zinnias (for cutting) in one of the beds of
the veggie garden, as that's the only place they are protected from
the local herbivores, who have demonstrated in the past that zinnias
are on their "to be eaten first" list.

*Not by everyone's standard. They are hot, hot, HOT

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 29-04-2008, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Laura from MomsRetro.com" wrote:

Who has a few veggies tucked in their flower beds? My mom always
sneaks a container with a tomato plant into her side yard. She grows
a bush variety so it doesn't take up too much space. It gets watered
by the sprinklers automatically so she doesn't have to worry about it.

I've got a pepper growing in a side plot too. You don't notice it's a
veggie until the peppers start turning colors. I've also got culinary
sage growing, it has beautiful blue flowers in the spring too.

Who else is 'breaking the rules'? What are you growing?

Okra... ;-d

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 29-04-2008, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

[...]

A mix of garlic and marigolds actually seems to work pretty well.

Old 29-04-2008, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Laura from MomsRetro.com" wrote in message
Who has a few veggies tucked in their flower beds? My mom always
sneaks a container with a tomato plant into her side yard. She grows
a bush variety so it doesn't take up too much space. It gets watered
by the sprinklers automatically so she doesn't have to worry about it.

I've got a pepper growing in a side plot too. You don't notice it's a
veggie until the peppers start turning colors. I've also got culinary
sage growing, it has beautiful blue flowers in the spring too.

Who else is 'breaking the rules'? What are you growing?

Globe artichokes, great geometric folliage for the ornamental garden.

David

I've never been able to get artichokes to stay alive. :-( Not even
potted 2 year old plants from the nursery...

What conditions do you give them? I live in South Central Texas near
Austin.

Old 29-04-2008, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Every year, my parents have a "mystery plant" come up in the flower bed near
their side door. They toss kitchen scraps into this garden. Some years
it's squash. Some years it's gourds of some kind. They've had okra &
usually a few tomatoes every year. It's all volunteer.

Robert

Old 30-04-2008, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:04:32 -0700, Laura from MomsRetro.com wrote:

Who has a few veggies tucked in their flower beds? My mom always sneaks
a container with a tomato plant into her side yard. She grows a bush
variety so it doesn't take up too much space. It gets watered by the
sprinklers automatically so she doesn't have to worry about it.

I've got a pepper growing in a side plot too. You don't notice it's a
veggie until the peppers start turning colors. I've also got culinary
sage growing, it has beautiful blue flowers in the spring too.

Who else is 'breaking the rules'? What are you growing?

Most of my decorative plants are edible.

stonerfish
Old 30-04-2008, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message newsmpomelet-

Globe artichokes, great geometric folliage for the ornamental garden.

David

I've never been able to get artichokes to stay alive. :-( Not even
potted 2 year old plants from the nursery...

What conditions do you give them? I live in South Central Texas near
Austin.

Peace! Om

The climate here is warm temperate but can be very hot in summer (100F or more
is fairly common) and cool in winter (around freezing) but it never snows or
freezes. Artichokes quite like the cooler months here but go backwards when
it is very hot. They also dislike it when it is very dry and I have to water
carefully then. The soil is heavy and fertile.

The flowers are also rather attactive but if you leave them go that long I
would have to come and scold you for inattention and carelessness.

David

Old 30-04-2008, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

[...]

I'm guessing the mistake I made then was leaving them in a pot. ;-)

I'd rarely let flowers mature. Too tasty! ;-d

Old 30-04-2008, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

[...]

I would guess it would be a good time to call the Ag advisor, to ask
what you can do to remediate your garden to the likes of an artichoke.
--

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related
Old 01-05-2008, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

[...]

Probably a good idea. I did also once try putting them in one of the
raised garden beds. They still died.

North side of the house tho', they might not have gotten enough
sunlight. I should probably amend one of the "free" areas up front in
the driveway and try some there.