Old 29-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Gabbages

Hi

Just a quick one. I am new to gardening and i have taken over an allotment. I am attempting to grow much of what is intended to go into the ground from seed. Most things have been pretty successful so far but i have had problems with my cabbages.

I planted Greyhound and a type of red cabbage (Drumhead?). Nearly all the seeds germinated and when i thought they were ready to transplant to biiger pots i did so and moved into my cold frame

It looks like i have lost all of them! We have had no frsot (UK-Midlands) and everything else is fine. I used Westland West + Advanced compost with a little bit of lime in (i was advised to do that)

Anything i have done wrong or have i just been unlucky? It seems strange that i have lost them all (there are 1 or 2 still alive that i didn't have time to transplant)

Thanks
Old 29-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw80 View Post
[...]

That is of course Cabbages and NOT Gabbages!!!! LOL
Old 29-04-2008, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Gabbages

In article ,
mw80 wrote:

[...]

Cabbages do better in winter.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 29-04-2008, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"mw80" wrote in message

[...]

It could well be slugs :-(

My brassica seedlings are still in pots in the greenhouse, even the kale. I
haven't planted out my Grehound and January King (red) seedlings yet, I'll
leave it until they're about four or five inches tall then bury them up to
their lowest leaves - but using a solid copper collar round them. That will
stay on all their lives, it really does seem to deter the slugs. The copper
mesh and other devices aren't as effective in my experience.

We've had true April weather here in Leeds, Yorkshire, and I don't want to
risk feeding the slugs any more than I can help.

On lime - I scatter lime on the ground where my brassicae are to live a few
weeks before they go in. Well, that's the intention. I've forgotten this
year :-) It won't harm to use slaked lime even after planting.

You're not going to have 100% success with anything, even when you've been
doing it for a lifetime. My old beekeeping mentor used to remind me that you
don't get a chicken from every egg.

On the other hand - want any tomatoes?

Mary

Old 29-04-2008, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--

I'm testing that this year....

I am sick to effing death of cabbage looper eater things. I'm thinking
that since they disappear by late summer, I'll start and set out
brassicas for fall harvest.

Charlie

Couldn't hurt. :-)

Will they grow in shade or does it matter?
I need to consider putting in some chard.

If you are having trouble with caterpillars, try some BT.

Old 30-04-2008, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"mw80" wrote in message

[...]

You may want to
USE IRON PHOSPHATE BAIT
Choose a bait product carefully.
Baits containing methiocarb kill
earthworms and beneficial insects.
Baits containing iron phosphate
(such as Sluggo¨, Escar-Go¨, or
Worry Free¨) are safer for children
and pets than baits containing
metaldehyde. Nevertheless, always
keep this and all other pesticides out
of the reach of children and pets.
After eating iron phosphate, snails
and slugs stop feeding and die within
3 to 6 days. They often crawl into
secluded places, so you may not see
dead bodies.
Reapply iron phosphate baits every 2 weeks.

I use Sluggo and i t works very well. It says on the container
that it is safe with pets and children
and can be used up to the day of harvesting.

paste
counties.cce.cornell.edu/suffolk/HortFactSheets/factsheets/Slugs%20and%20
Snails.pdf into your URL. Yes I know it doesn't have a http:\\, just
paste it in and hit return.
On lime - I scatter lime on the ground where my brassicae are to live a few
weeks before they go in. Well, that's the intention. I've forgotten this
year :-) It won't harm to use slaked lime even after planting.

The slack lime is for what? Slugs and snails?

You're not going to have 100% success with anything, even when you've been
doing it for a lifetime. My old beekeeping mentor used to remind me that you
don't get a chicken from every egg.

On the other hand - want any tomatoes?

Mary

--

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related
Old 30-04-2008, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message

We've had true April weather here in Leeds, Yorkshire, and I don't want
risk feeding the slugs any more than I can help.

You may want to
USE IRON PHOSPHATE BAIT

I don't.

I use Sluggo and i t works very well. It says on the container
that it is safe with pets and children
and can be used up to the day of harvesting.

Your choice. I don't use poisons. The lime, by the way, is to address the
acid level of the soil, nothing to do with slugs.

Your poison would also kill snails.We have hens which eat snails as well as
the other life forms you seem to want to kill yet which do good or at least
no harm to the garden.

Mary

Old 30-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Fisher View Post
"mw80" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Mary

It isn't slugs.....they certainly haven't been eaten by anything. More sort of wilted and died! They haven't even gone in the ground yet as all i had done was pot them on and leave them in my cold frame.

Would too much lime cause this as i may have been heavy handed with it?!!

What is the purpose of copper around the cabbages? Could you explain how you do this in a little more detail?

Thanks everyone
Old 30-04-2008, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"mw80" wrote in message

Hi Mary

It isn't slugs.....they certainly haven't been eaten by anything. More
sort of wilted and died! They haven't even gone in the ground yet as
all i had done was pot them on and leave them in my cold frame.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Would too much lime cause this as i may have been heavy handed with
it?!!

I doubt it.

What is the purpose of copper around the cabbages? Could you explain
how you do this in a little more detail?

The slugs slide along on their slimy bellies (OK so it's a foot). There's an
interaction between the reactive copper and the slime which they can't
abide. I've watched one trying to slide up a ring and turning round,
hurriedly, back to nice safe soil.

Spouse cuts Cu sheet into 4 x 10" pieces, give or take. There are different
sizes for different plants. The metal is coiled into a slightly overlapping
ring, put round the plant stem (it's slightly springy) and pushed into the
soil for at least an inch. I leave the rings in place until I harvest the
plant.

If a longer ring is required two or more can be linked together.

Mary

Old 30-04-2008, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:47:30 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:54:58 -0500, Omelet wrote:

Cabbages do better in winter.
--

I'm testing that this year....

I am sick to effing death of cabbage looper eater things. I'm thinking
that since they disappear by late summer, I'll start and set out
brassicas for fall harvest.

Charlie

Couldn't hurt. :-)

That's what I thought, plus it leaves me more room for summer crop.
I've read brussels sprouts taste better with a frosting anyway. ;-)

Will they grow in shade or does it matter?
I need to consider putting in some chard.

Brassicas require quite a bit of sun, so it is said.
Chard will grow in partial sun, or so it is said. ;-)

I grew in partial sun during the winter last time I did them.
Pretty plants and OH so tasty:

http://i17.tinypic.com/8ezxbua.jpg

If you are having trouble with caterpillars, try some BT.

I am hesitant to use BT as I have dill that attracts swallowtails and
have caterpillars from them every year. They are usually doing their
thing at the same time as the other dumb things. sigh...

So don't spray it on the dill?

A good place to move Swallowtails to is Parsley. It'll help on your
dill if you did not plant enough. They also like fennel.

Perhaps "time, time, time.. is on my side, yes it is.", when it comes
to brassica.

Charlie

Indeed. :-)

Old 30-04-2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

We've had true April weather here in Leeds, Yorkshire, and I don't want
risk feeding the slugs any more than I can help.

You may want to
USE IRON PHOSPHATE BAIT

I don't.

I use Sluggo and i t works very well. It says on the container
that it is safe with pets and children
and can be used up to the day of harvesting.

Your choice. I don't use poisons. The lime, by the way, is to address the
acid level of the soil, nothing to do with slugs.

Your poison would also kill snails.We have hens which eat snails as well as
the other life forms you seem to want to kill yet which do good or at least
no harm to the garden.

Hens aren't affected by iron or phosphate, but they will pull up or
scratch out seedlings.

Mary

The alleged poison is only poisonous (iron phosphate) to the
gastropods. "Iron" is is an indispensable mineral to your health
and you probably already add "rock phosphate" to you beds.
Phosphorous is important for the hardy growth of the plant,
playing an important role in root development and cell activity.

You will not find elemental phosphorus available at nurseries
because it is highly flammable.

I am enjoying my first, nearly slug and snail free year
gardening.

I just got tired of doing the midnight patrol with my flashlight and
stomping all those snails and slugs.

As my plants get larger, I won't worry about their predation so
much.

Good luck with your garden;-)

Old 30-04-2008, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
mw80 wrote:

[...]

Brassica, in general, dump sugar into their sap in cold weather, as a
form of anti-freeze, to lower their freezing point. As a result, they
usually taste much better after the second or third frost.

--
Bush Behind Bars

Old 30-04-2008, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

[...]

Not in our garden, the vegetables are in runs. The hens range freely.

But I still don't want to use any chemicals to 'control' slugs/snails.

Mary

Old 30-04-2008, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
PDM PDM is offline

You said they wilted. This may be caused by overheating. Coldframes can get
very very hot - hotter than a greenhouse even. It's the size; being small
they heat up very quickly and need a lot of ventilation in the sun. Can't
see it being the lime; although it is not usual to put in the pots, only on
the soil. Don't know what that Westland stuff is. But wonder if you didn't
over do it. If I do ever use fertilizer on seedlings, it only used at low
rates so perhaps this may be the cause.

PDM.

PS: I'm in the West Mids too.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

[...]

Hey, it's a free country, over there anyway. Hail Victory;-)