Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato emergency........ please help!!!!!!!

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:14:11 -0500, Omelet wrote:

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

Hey, I've that one in my quotes file also! I like it.

He posts on tx.guns. He's a TABC academy instructor in my area. :-)
One of the smartest and most savvy cops I've ever known.

I can't recall the thread he said that in, (probably the one where I was
considering cetaceans as sentient) but it IS a great statement. g

Had the season's first radish and bread and butter sammy!!!

French Breakfast Raddies.

I put the tops on it also and it was......Yummo! ;-)

This is the first year I have ever eaten tops. I need to thin them and
am going to follow your suggestion of litely steaming them, tops and
bottoms.

I generally eat radishes as a cooked veggie. I always rinse and use the
greens. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 11-05-2008, 09:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 11 May 2008 01:06:42 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:14:11 -0500, Omelet wrote:

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

Hey, I've that one in my quotes file also! I like it.

He posts on tx.guns. He's a TABC academy instructor in my area. :-)
One of the smartest and most savvy cops I've ever known.

I can't recall the thread he said that in, (probably the one where I was
considering cetaceans as sentient) but it IS a great statement. g

???? I wonder where in the hell I got that quote??? I don't hang out
there and I thought I usually got deadpersons quotes! ;-) Maybe from
survivalacres.......who knows.......my brain is like a sieve.

I've used it as a -sig before. I tend to rotate them.
He gave me permission to use it as such.
I'm sure he'd feel honored that you kept it. g
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 11-05-2008, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

All this talk of young radishes & greens is all well & good, but be sure to
leave enough for the best part to stir-fry, the seed pods!
Steve
Charlie wrote in message
On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:23:49 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:14:11 -0500, Omelet wrote:

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

Hey, I've that one in my quotes file also! I like it.

Had the season's first radish and bread and butter sammy!!!

French Breakfast Raddies.

I put the tops on it also and it was......Yummo! ;-)

This is the first year I have ever eaten tops. I need to thin them and
am going to follow your suggestion of litely steaming them, tops and
bottoms.

Radish tops can also be used in salads, as I found out last year when
about all there was to my radishes was tops.

I'll be doing that, for sure. Om suggested steaming young radishes and
tops and I am anticipating that. Been reading up on all the leaves that
are edible, and nutritious, and I was amazed to say the least. From
vegetable to tree leaves. Whooda thunk it? ;-)

Catch ya later, my friend...I'm gonna go stretch my back.

Charlie

Old 11-05-2008, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:14:11 -0500, Omelet wrote:

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

Hey, I've that one in my quotes file also! I like it.

He posts on tx.guns. He's a TABC academy instructor in my area. :-)
One of the smartest and most savvy cops I've ever known.

I can't recall the thread he said that in, (probably the one where I was
considering cetaceans as sentient) but it IS a great statement. g

"Considering"? They probably think less of us.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I pick just about the size of garden peas. The flavor is that of radish &
the texture of snap peas.
Steve
Charlie wrote in message
On Sun, 11 May 2008 10:51:11 -0500, "Steve Peek" wrote:

All this talk of young radishes & greens is all well & good, but be sure
leave enough for the best part to stir-fry, the seed pods!
Steve

Hmmm...this is new to me. Sounds good...and spicy? I assume you pick
the pods when the seeds are still very immature?

Yep...the humble radish has definitely been taken to higer levels of
culinary delight!

--
Thanks, Steve
Charlie

"Spare feast! a radish and an egg." ~~William Cowper

Old 11-05-2008, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

All this talk of young radishes & greens is all well & good, but be sure to
leave enough for the best part to stir-fry, the seed pods!
Steve

Really??? I've never tried that. Gods knows those plants make a lot of
pods. :-)

What stage do you gather them at?
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 11-05-2008, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:14:11 -0500, Omelet wrote:

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

Hey, I've that one in my quotes file also! I like it.

He posts on tx.guns. He's a TABC academy instructor in my area. :-)
One of the smartest and most savvy cops I've ever known.

I can't recall the thread he said that in, (probably the one where I was
considering cetaceans as sentient) but it IS a great statement. g

"Considering"? They probably think less of us.

Or are just tolerant. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 11-05-2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 11 May 2008 10:51:11 -0500, "Steve Peek" wrote:

All this talk of young radishes & greens is all well & good, but be sure to
leave enough for the best part to stir-fry, the seed pods!
Steve

Hmmm...this is new to me. Sounds good...and spicy? I assume you pick
the pods when the seeds are still very immature?

Yep...the humble radish has definitely been taken to higer levels of
culinary delight!

There are some varieties of radish grown specifically for their pods.
--

Billy
Old 12-05-2008, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 9, 9:47�am, Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,

�Omelet wrote:
In article
,
�gonzo wrote:

I believe roundup is a systemic herbicide. �If your plants were
healthy to begin with, you could take a few and try removing the new
growth - pinch back. �Kind of like sucking the venom from a snakebite
(OK, I think that's just Hollywood, but the principle is the same).
Only if you leave it go, you're too late. �The stuff works it's way to
the roots and then kills the plant.

Or maybe there was something else going on, and they wilted from too
much sun, just coincidence neighbors. I do know one thing, if I
had even slightly misted my 'mater plants with roundup, they'd be
dead. �Karma is a real.. you know.

That's why I'm graduating to a flamer this year. �Could be fun if I
don't blow myself up.

Flame on!

I've considered one of those! Where do you get them?
Are they legal everywhere?

Om, you get them at the hardware store. They're called a "weed burner."
You use propane to fuel them. They're kind of expensive.

We use them for everything but flame killing weeds here...

Mostly the SO uses ours (we have several) to pre-heat our diesel farm
tractors and bulldozers in the winter, so they'll start. It's not a
trick for the faint of heart, as the oil & grease on heavy equipment
will light on fire readily, so you have to be prepared to put the fire
out.

I have used our weed burner to burn the dried weeds/grass off a garden
plot in the spring. Timing is critical -- it's got to be exactly the day
the grass dries out enough to burn, but before the whole neighborhood is
dried-out, so I don't start a forest fire.

We have a big hemp nettle infestation down on the ranch, but I was told
to not flame kill it. It's in the loafing area where our cows hang out
all winter, so the soil is real heavy in organics, which will catch fire
like crazy, once it dries out.

� �Jan- Hide quoted text -

I use a tank sprayer filled with vinegar to spray weeds. It kills
them in about two days. Spray when there is no rain expected for a
few days. Cheap, effective, and biodegradeable.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article fa39ec62-c5cc-4723-bcd1-
, says...

I use a tank sprayer filled with vinegar to spray weeds. It kills
them in about two days. Spray when there is no rain expected for a
few days. Cheap, effective, and biodegradeable.

Anything special about the vinegar?

Old 16-05-2008, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

I wish! A nice 8' tall fence on both sides would be nice.

Mine is 7ft. g 12" stone and 6' wood.

They deliberately killed my grape vines...
I'm trying to come up with a good fence vine that is roundup resistant.

Maybe the Dept. Of Ag where you live can suggest something resistant to
RoundUp.

Local extension office...

Good idea, thanks!

They've come through for me a few times. ;-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson

Old 16-05-2008, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

I wish! A nice 8' tall fence on both sides would be nice.

Mine is 7ft. g 12" stone and 6' wood.

They deliberately killed my grape vines...
I'm trying to come up with a good fence vine that is roundup resistant.

Maybe the Dept. Of Ag where you live can suggest something resistant to
RoundUp.

Local extension office...

Good idea, thanks!

They've come through for me a few times. ;-)

They seem to be delighted to help. They've even mailed me information on
specific plantings when I wanted to do more landscaping with local
plants to conserve on water.

I've put in a few Lantana for a start. I really like their blooms and
leaves.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

I wish! A nice 8' tall fence on both sides would be nice.

Mine is 7ft. g 12" stone and 6' wood.

They deliberately killed my grape vines...
I'm trying to come up with a good fence vine that is roundup resistant.

An old man that lived next door to another neighbor sprayed a shrub on the yard
line that he didn't like. A tree sprayer noticed the damage and asked the
neighbor what happened to the shrub. After being told, he reported it to the
state EPA, who sent someone out to have a stern talk to the old man.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
gonzo wrote:

I believe roundup is a systemic herbicide. If your plants were
healthy to begin with, you could take a few and try removing the new
growth - pinch back. Kind of like sucking the venom from a snakebite
(OK, I think that's just Hollywood, but the principle is the same).
Only if you leave it go, you're too late. The stuff works it's way to
the roots and then kills the plant.

Or maybe there was something else going on, and they wilted from too
much sun, just coincidence neighbors. I do know one thing, if I
had even slightly misted my 'mater plants with roundup, they'd be
dead. Karma is a real.. you know.

That's why I'm graduating to a flamer this year. Could be fun if I
don't blow myself up.

Flame on!

I've considered one of those! Where do you get them?
Are they legal everywhere?

Not legal in Seattle.