Old 05-05-2008, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Will solarization kill bamboo?

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Don't use another language unless you're familiar with it ... :-)

Does this mean I can't even use English v. American?

(Maybe Charlie meant "seize the carp.")

Or carp the day, or what a carpie day it is, or carp on them;-)
This is a phrase that the fish monger in Asterix could use when
the blacksmith tell him that his fish aren't fresh. The fish
monger usually says that the previous year was an outstanding
year for fish, and then hits the blacksmith with one:-)

Billy
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 May 2008 11:09:08 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
. ..
My old garden (14'x60') has two problems, on the left side where I've
been growing green vegetables I have a terrible bamboo problem. On the
right side where I've been growing tomatoes I have a wilt problem. I
have a new garden (15'x20') this year so I'm planning on letting at
least part of my old garden lay fallow. I'm going to solarize the
tomato side to kill the wilt pathogens. I've been using roundup on the
bamboo but it's never been able to eliminate it. I was wondering if
solarization would kill bamboo? It's supposed to be pretty effective
against weeds as well as pathogens so it might work. On the other hand
the bamboo might just punch it's way through the plastic.

One more question about solarization in general, does it work in New
England? The papers I see on the web are from UC Davis. Ma is a lot
cooler than Ca. For solarization to work it needs to get the soil
temperature pretty high, will it get high enough here?

What's solarization?

Mary

Solarization is done by covering the garden with clear plastic for the
entire summer. The plastic acts as a greenhouse so it raises the
temperature of the soil to 110F.

Thank you. It would also keep the soil dry though, which isn't good for
most
plants.

Mary, the point is to sterilize the ground, to get rid of
vegetative pests. So, yeah, it wouldn't be good for any plant
under the plastic. A little moisture though, would probably help
in the transfer of heat.

Hm. Might try that on the main garden bed this year to finish killing
out the bindweed and wild sunflower. I intend to ONLY container garden
this year (except for Okra out front) so I could lay down heavy mil
plastic and put the pots on top of that.

I won't have to weed! (happy dance!)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Charlie wrote in message

Carpie Diem

Carpe diem.

Don't use another language unless you're familiar with it ... :-)

Mary

From another thread dear. ;-)

Seize the fish...

Old 05-05-2008, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 5 May 2008 19:49:00 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Charlie wrote in message
.. .

Carpie Diem

Carpe diem.

Don't use another language unless you're familiar with it ... :-)

Mary

Don't be pedantic and critical about someone's language usage, or
intentional misuse, until you are certain that the person, with whom
you are not familiar, doesn't know what they are about. :-)

Have you been reading the other thread about my eating carp and the
resultant hilarity that is developing over carp being made into
fertilizer? CharlieCarp, to be precise.

Thus.... carpie diem....playing with words with Billy, who knows
what/who/when/where/why is what.

*Now* I am off to build fence.
Charlie

Now don't be down my good friend, you brought a lot of smiles to
many faces today, faces that need as many smiles as they can get.
Good on you, mi amigo.
--

Billy

Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 5 May 2008 19:49:00 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Charlie wrote in message
.. .

Carpie Diem

Carpe diem.

Don't use another language unless you're familiar with it ... :-)

Mary

Don't be pedantic and critical about someone's language usage, or
intentional misuse, until you are certain that the person, with whom
you are not familiar, doesn't know what they are about. :-)

Have you been reading the other thread about my eating carp and the
resultant hilarity that is developing over carp being made into
fertilizer? CharlieCarp, to be precise.

Thus.... carpie diem....playing with words with Billy, who knows
what/who/when/where/why is what.

*Now* I am off to build fence.
Charlie

Now don't be down my good friend, you brought a lot of smiles to
many faces today, faces that need as many smiles as they can get.
Good on you, mi amigo.

Nothing wrong with a good laugh. :-)

Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 05 May 2008 15:21:12 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

What's solarization?

Mary

Solarization is done by covering the garden with clear plastic for the
entire summer. The plastic acts as a greenhouse so it raises the
temperature of the soil to 110F.

Thank you. It would also keep the soil dry though, which isn't good for
most plants.

Mary

It's not supposed to be good for the plants that are there, it's supposed
to kill them. Solarization is a means of sterilizing the soil, the idea
is to cook the fungi, weeds and other undesirable pests out of the soil.
It takes the whole summer so you can't use that piece of garden again
until the next year. I have enough garden space so that I can afford to
let some land lay fallow and I'm keen to give solarization a try assuming
it can work in my area. It's apparently a very effective technique in the
hot parts of the country, but it's not clear that it will work here in
Massachusetts which is why I'm asking if anyone has used it in a New
England like climate.

I've been thinking about this reply. It seems to me that not only would you
kill fungi, weeds and undesirable pests, you'd also kill fauna which you
want. And weeds would re-establish themselves by seeding. It doesn't seem a
good idea to me.

How long has it been practised?

I suppose if you have a lot of land it's practicable, providing you don't
mind killing everything.

Mary

Old 06-05-2008, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

[...]

You're right, if you simply removed the plastic and don't do
anything else to the ground. But, once the ground has been
sterilized, so to speak, you can either cover it in three or
more inches of mulch, and plant what ever your little heart
desires, or leave the plastic in place, and cut openings in
it, where you wish to place your plants (good to install drip
irrigation if you do this).
--

Billy
Old 06-05-2008, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie says...
On Mon, 5 May 2008 18:09:28 -0500, phorbin wrote:

...then there's Crappie Diem.

Not really, all in all it was a pretty good day. ;-)

Charlie

....sounds fishie to me.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article , Charlie says...
On Mon, 5 May 2008 18:09:28 -0500, phorbin wrote:

...then there's Crappie Diem.

Not really, all in all it was a pretty good day. ;-)

Charlie

...sounds fishie to me.

Oh now don't carp about it please!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered User

I want to control it in this difficult year. I let it take over the last year, my gardening is minimal. British Columbia is the only former yard. Convolvulaceae in the backyard.
Pond Kits