Old 27-08-2008, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Organic Buying spree.............

I bought:

128 oz. Fish Emulsion = $17.99
1 gal. Hi-Yield Liquid Iron = $16.99
32 oz. Bonide Insecticidal Soap = $15.99
4 lbs. Dipel Dust = $3.99
4 lbs. Kelp Meal = $17.99

I can see why only Co-Op can afford to carry Organic products.

Old 27-08-2008, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

I bought:

128 oz. Fish Emulsion = $17.99
1 gal. Hi-Yield Liquid Iron = $16.99
32 oz. Bonide Insecticidal Soap = $15.99
4 lbs. Dipel Dust = $3.99
4 lbs. Kelp Meal = $17.99

I can see why only Co-Op can afford to carry Organic products.

I need to go get some Medina.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 27-08-2008, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Marie Dodge" wrote I bought:

128 oz. Fish Emulsion = $17.99
1 gal. Hi-Yield Liquid Iron = $16.99
32 oz. Bonide Insecticidal Soap = $15.99
4 lbs. Dipel Dust = $3.99
4 lbs. Kelp Meal = $17.99

Phew!!! I was afraid you were going to jump off the edge Marie

I can see why only Co-Op can afford to carry Organic products.

mind sharing specifics for Kate and the locals?

Old 28-08-2008, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

I bought:

128 oz. Fish Emulsion = $17.99
1 gal. Hi-Yield Liquid Iron = $16.99
32 oz. Bonide Insecticidal Soap = $15.99
4 lbs. Dipel Dust = $3.99
4 lbs. Kelp Meal = $17.99

I can see why only Co-Op can afford to carry Organic products.

I need to go get some Medina.

BTW, Kelp Meal is 3 lbs per 100 sq. ft. @ aprox. $12.75 per 3 lbs multiplied
by 10 = aprox $127.50 just for Kelp meal for a small veggie garden. That's
just for the Kelp. Shocking! That's a lot of money for a 1000 sq. ft garden
if you're on a limited income (retired, disabled etc). Looking at some of
the figures the man at the Co-Op gave us, it's much much cheaper to buy
veggies at the local store or Farmer's Market. Apparently that's why no one
buys organic fertilizers and the local stores don't sell it. The blood meal
was unaffordable so I picked up ammonium nitrate as per the soil test.

I bought one the one bag of Kelp meal to try with some peppers and tomatoes
kept over in the greenhouse this winter and outside next spring. But there
is no way we can do this with the larger gardens we plan to have next year.

--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Old 28-08-2008, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote in message
"Marie Dodge" wrote I bought:

128 oz. Fish Emulsion = $17.99
1 gal. Hi-Yield Liquid Iron = $16.99
32 oz. Bonide Insecticidal Soap = $15.99
4 lbs. Dipel Dust = $3.99
4 lbs. Kelp Meal = $17.99

Phew!!! I was afraid you were going to jump off the edge Marie

I can see why only Co-Op can afford to carry Organic products.

mind sharing specifics for Kate and the locals?

Specifics? I don't understand. ?!??! I can't find most of these products
(fish emulsion, Dipel) locally anymore. We had to drive to a Farmer's Co-Op
about 30 miles from here. They still have a section of organic insecticides
and fertilizers. We did have to switch from blood meal for nitrogen to
Ammonium Nitrate.

Old 28-08-2008, 10:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

mind sharing specifics for Kate and the locals?

Specifics? I don't understand. ?!??! I can't find most of these products
(fish emulsion, Dipel) locally anymore. We had to drive to a Farmer's
Co-Op about 30 miles from here.

Specifics like name, address, telephone and website of the Co-Op if they
have one.

Old 28-08-2008, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

[...]

Hasta-gro is a liquid concentrate. It's supposed to be pretty economical?
--
Peace! Om

"Crime does not pay as well as Politics".
-- Anon.
Old 28-08-2008, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

[...]

Have you figured out the cost for a 1,500 sq. ft. garden? Nothing
economical about it. Humic acid is provided by the free compost we add
every year. The fish emulsion is supposed to supply micronutrients.

Old 28-08-2008, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote in message
"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

mind sharing specifics for Kate and the locals?

Specifics? I don't understand. ?!??! I can't find most of these
products
(fish emulsion, Dipel) locally anymore. We had to drive to a Farmer's
Co-Op about 30 miles from here.

Specifics like name, address, telephone and website of the Co-Op if they
have one.

Huh? They don't ship so why would you want that information?

Old 28-08-2008, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

mind sharing specifics for Kate and the locals?

Specifics? I don't understand. ?!??! I can't find most of these
products (fish emulsion, Dipel) locally anymore.
We had to drive to a Farmer's Co-Op about 30 miles from here.

Specifics like name, address, telephone and website of the Co-Op if they
have one.

Huh? They don't ship so why would you want that information?

"for Kate and the locals?" Suppose they could walk in and buy?

Old 29-08-2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

Hasta-gro is a liquid concentrate. It's supposed to be pretty economical?

Have you figured out the cost for a 1,500 sq. ft. garden? Nothing
economical about it. Humic acid is provided by the free compost we add
every year. The fish emulsion is supposed to supply micronutrients.

I'm still just using the old composted soil from where the chicken and
emu yards used to be, but your garden is bigger than mine. g

Old 29-08-2008, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

Hasta-gro is a liquid concentrate. It's supposed to be pretty
economical?

Have you figured out the cost for a 1,500 sq. ft. garden? Nothing
economical about it. Humic acid is provided by the free compost we add
every year. The fish emulsion is supposed to supply micronutrients.

I'm still just using the old composted soil from where the chicken and
emu yards used to be, but your garden is bigger than mine. g

I know what you mean. That's some GOOD stuff. When I kept dairy goats and
chickens I always had several piles of manure in different stages of
composting and no close neighbors to complain. Steam would be coming off
them on cold days. :-)

Old 29-08-2008, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote in message
"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

mind sharing specifics for Kate and the locals?

Specifics? I don't understand. ?!??! I can't find most of these
products (fish emulsion, Dipel) locally anymore.
We had to drive to a Farmer's Co-Op about 30 miles from here.

Specifics like name, address, telephone and website of the Co-Op if they
have one.

Huh? They don't ship so why would you want that information?

"for Kate and the locals?" Suppose they could walk in and buy?

Who is "Kate and the locals?" They're free to walk in and by at any
Farmer's Co-Op. Just go in and ask for the Organic section.

Old 29-08-2008, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

mind sharing specifics for Kate and the locals?

Specifics? I don't understand. ?!??! I can't find most of these
products (fish emulsion, Dipel) locally anymore.
We had to drive to a Farmer's Co-Op about 30 miles from here.

Specifics like name, address, telephone and website of the Co-Op if
they have one.

Huh? They don't ship so why would you want that information?

"for Kate and the locals?" Suppose they could walk in and buy?

Who is "Kate and the locals?"

Short memory Marie:
Msg-ID:

You'll have to figure out how a Nashvil-ite translates into a local
yourself.

They're free to walk in and by at any Farmer's Co-Op.

That's what I was thinking, that's why I'm wondering why you haven't posted
the address yet?

Just go in and ask for the Organic section.

Oh I enjoy browsing the store.

Old 29-08-2008, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

Hasta-gro is a liquid concentrate. It's supposed to be pretty
economical?

Have you figured out the cost for a 1,500 sq. ft. garden? Nothing
economical about it. Humic acid is provided by the free compost we add
every year. The fish emulsion is supposed to supply micronutrients.

I'm still just using the old composted soil from where the chicken and
emu yards used to be, but your garden is bigger than mine. g

I know what you mean. That's some GOOD stuff. When I kept dairy goats and
chickens I always had several piles of manure in different stages of
composting and no close neighbors to complain. Steam would be coming off
them on cold days. :-)

lol Seen that too!

I can still shovel emu turds for composting even tho' I just have the
one pet bird now...

but emu turds are BIG.

Pauli weighs around 130 lbs. g

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/KathyApollo2.jpg