Old 17-04-2009, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default minimum pot size for chili plants

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"bigmike20vt" wrote in message

Hi

my 1st post, maybe of many

i have 50 chilli plants.

various variaties - 7 different types - 8 including my sweet peppers.

now last year i used pretty big pots for each plant, however with so
many this year (for jams and chuckneys) i need to know the minimum pot
size i can get away with for average sized chilli plants so as not to
hold them back too much.

am hoping 3ltr pots will do it, but smaller would be good if poss... i
used 6 liter pots last year but i just do not have room for 50 of
them!, and the compost would cost a fortune.

thanks for any advice. am wondering if i could use small tomato
growbags at a push, maybe 4 plants in each one.

cheers
M.

--
bigmike20vt

You're more likely to get a suitable response if you don't divulge the
specific species of peppers, number of plants per pot, and growing
environment you have. WTF is "sweet peppers", I'm a TX guy, jalapenos
and
habeneros guy. Rarely, I use bell peppers in a stews that I make from
time
to time. Can you educate me in wimpy Yankee "peppers" and why you grow
them, what you use them for?

Dave has obviously never had a thick, grilled, red, bell pepper. The
last tough yahoo who wanted one of my habaneros, gobbled it down, barfed
it up, and went home sick. I don't have a recipe that calls for more
than a half of a habanero and that's for four people. I don't know what
to tell you, if you think that you have to suffer to be a real man.
Maybe your not a real man until you have your first heart attack?

You drinking again Dave, or are you a graduate of the Shelley School of
Charm?
--

- Billy

Nancy, Nancy, Nancy. You obviously don't know anything about me. But would
expect such a response to fit your picture of the world.

I say what I think. You say what other's say, no personal opinion, no
thought, just "facts" as other see them to support your original posts.
Really original (sic). Pretty safe in that world, eh Nancy?
--
Dave
April 16th, 2009 Day 1 post Tea Party.
This day in history occurred:
Nancy Pelosi response was undignified per her allegation that such are
funded by right wing money big money and attended exclusively by right wing
extremists.
White House staff indicated that officially not recognizing the nation-wide
gatherings in any fashion.
Some news reporters were found attempting to goad responses from attendees
at the gatherings with response not filling their (some news reporters) TV
political needs. Too bad for them.
Woebama in Mexico. 2nd amendment rights being pinged again. Ignoring
locking down the U.S/Mexico border again.
We thte people...
No political party or otherwise in that.
Locked signature to prevent subsequent historical revisionism.

Old 17-04-2009, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Where to buy the best seeds???

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"bigmike20vt" wrote in message

Thanks everyone for the responses (tho it seems that they have gone on
the wrong thread so sorry to the OP who was asking about buying the
best seeds!).

to answer Dave, who i am sure drives a Chelsea Tractor to keep his man
image intact as well

my chilis/peppers are as follows

Jalapeno purple
Habanero orange
habanero Caribbean red
Pepper De Arbol
Indian Fire Cracker
Hungarian Hot Wax
Scotch bonnet Red
Pepper (Capsicum) Fresno
Naga Morich
Anahiem TMR chillies
sweet pepper Bellboy F1

--
bigmike20vt

Hell yes. You the man. Wish you didn't have to piggyback on Nancy's
response to respond to me though. Again, what is the sweetpepper thing and
what do you use it in?
--
Dave
April, 2009 1 Tea.
This in occurred:
Nancy response undignified her that are
by wing big and exclusively right
extremists.
White staff that not the
gatherings any.
Some reporters found to responses attendees
at gatherings response filling (some reporters)
political. Too for.
Woebama Mexico. amendment being again.
locking the border again.
We thte people... (are you saying white people here wing-nut?)
political or in.
Locked to subsequent revisionism.

Well Daffy Dave seems to be everywhere tonight. He seems to think that
the lunatic fringe are the only people worried about the economy and
where Obama is leading us. Problem is that it wouldn't do anyone any
good to be associated with a Bushite, who brought us to the party.
Dave is obviously going to be hysterical for a few days. Don't forget to
water your plants Dave. Maybe they would like to hear your opinions;O)
--

- Billy

Old 17-04-2009, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Tim wrote:

Charlie wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:40:27 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
bigmike20vt wrote:

Thanks everyone for the responses (tho it seems that they have gone on
the wrong thread so sorry to the OP who was asking about buying the
best seeds!).

to answer Dave, who i am sure drives a Chelsea Tractor to keep his man
image intact as well

my chilis/peppers are as follows

Jalapeno purple
Habanero orange
habanero Caribbean red
Pepper De Arbol
Indian Fire Cracker
Hungarian Hot Wax
Scotch bonnet Red
Pepper (Capsicum) Fresno
Naga Morich
Anahiem TMR chillies
sweet pepper Bellboy F1
Man, you must hate mornings ;O)

It's been said that a teaspoon of cayenne (or any hot pepper powder or
tincture) mixed in a glass of water and glugged down will stop or
mitigate a heart or brain attack.

It's also said that the same dosage thrice daily will promote
circulation and help in cases of arterial baddies. Good fer the colon
also, it's said.

Try it, tain't near as hot as one would imagine, though I'd suggest
stirring it in cold water.

Part of my daily downings. Next morning complaints are short lived.

Charlie

Now thats truly interesting, where did you learn that?
I eat raw garlic, said to have the same
effect, but I just like the taste. much to my wifes regret
Billy, do you really have that problem the next day? I never have...
Must be lucky.

Must have an asbestos anal sphincter!

hmmm...Its time...wine is good for you too, mix the cayenne with the
garlic, throw in some rose hips, an eye of newt, hair of toad...stir,
stir........

Tim

Just keep stirring Tim, I was with ya up to the rose hips.
Garlic and ginger are supposed to be the two best things that a person
can eat (at least for fudge factors) and lots of green leaves like
lettuce, mustard, cabbage, and chard. It's the processed foods that will
do you in. Hard to say, when I like French bread and flour tortillas so
much.
--

- Billy

Old 17-04-2009, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

I say what I think.

You think? Well, I suppose we all have our little conceits.
--

- Billy

Old 17-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dioclese View Post

Hell yes. You the man. Wish you didn't have to piggyback on Nancy's
response to respond to me though. Again, what is the sweetpepper thing and
what do you use it in?

Some interesting advice on this thread.

if its true that capsaicin helps reduce heart disease and strokes, I am laughing as i eat a LOT of hot food

the sweet peppers usually i would use in salads, sandwiches, chinese food and sometimes (rarely) stuffed and roasted in the oven.

the hotter chilis i use in sandwiches, pickles/chutney, most of my cooking .......

and games of chance or arcade games on my arcade machine where penalties for losing include vodka shots, chilis etc

yes i am a child at heart!.

Old 17-04-2009, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Charlie wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 22:05:18 -0700, Billy
wrote:

Must have an asbestos anal sphincter!

Oh puleeeze.....a hardass like you?

Wuss.

Charlie

hehehe....I don't know, it's just never bothered me.
Course, I was raised on chilli dogs from New Castle, Pa,
and the sauce was very tasty & hot..Eh, that was in the sixties, now its
not even there...We used to get 2 quarts of the sauce and put it on
everything from fries to salads....Man was it good.
I do draw the line at biting into a habby, tho...I like to taste my food
along with the flavor of a good pepper.

I am going to have to view the link thats in here somewhere about the
cayenne as I have some heart issues myself. Like the damn thing quits
beating every now and then...You think a hot pepper kicks, ya oughta
feel my defibrillator!

btw -- the Rose hips were to make it smell better!

Tim
Old 17-04-2009, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:40:27 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
bigmike20vt wrote:

[...]

Dang Charlie, that'd prolly cure hemorrhoids too.

Old 18-04-2009, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

I say what I think.

You think? Well, I suppose we all have our little conceits.
--

- Billy

So now its conceited to have individual thought. Kinda expected something
like that from Nancy. It may take a few years for most to be aware, but
many people are starting to wake up now to such views opposing the very U.S
Constitution. Be wary, Nancy.
--
Dave
April 16th, 2009 Day 1 post Tea Party.
This day in history occurred:
Nancy Pelosi response was undignified per her allegation that such are
funded by right wing money big money and attended exclusively by right wing
extremists.
White House staff indicated that officially not recognizing the nation-wide
gatherings in any fashion.
Some news reporters were found attempting to goad responses from attendees
at the gatherings with response not filling their (some news reporters) TV
political needs. Too bad for them.
Woebama in Mexico. 2nd amendment rights being pinged again. Ignoring
locking down the U.S/Mexico border again.
We the people...

Old 18-04-2009, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

[...]

Meaningless, demeaning, and baseless criticism all in a few sentences. The
way of BOTH current political parties. You should be proud. If you smelled
something polical party oriented, wrong. We the people...

Old 18-04-2009, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

News I heard about heart attacks was to keep coughing until the
ambulance arrives.
--

- Billy

Old 18-04-2009, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

I am going to have to view the link thats in here somewhere about the
cayenne as I have some heart issues myself. Like the damn thing quits
beating every now and then...You think a hot pepper kicks, ya oughta
feel my defibrillator!

Oh shit......bet that is a hell of a way to be awakened! When it
gives you a jolt, does it make you react like somebody goosed ya or
blurt out a Tourrette's type of thing? ;-)

Charlie

It's really never happened when I'm asleep.
To be honest with you, imagine standing with your eyes closed, knowing
that someone has a sledge-hammer in front of you....You don't know when
the hit is coming, but..................Thats about what it feels
like.....

Hey, I can still drink some wine, and grow some peppers! It don't get no
better!

Tim
Old 18-04-2009, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Dang Charlie, that'd prolly cure hemorrhoids too.

http://www.hemorrhoid-treatment.info...oids-cure.html

;-)

Charlie

Ya GOTTA be kidding, right???
hehe

Tim
Old 18-04-2009, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Be wary, Nancy.

Cool, Einstein. Anything happens to me and you go to the top of the list.
Want to dig a deeper hole? Whadda ya got?

Should I be concerned about the books I read, the places I go, the
neighbors I speak to? Those were the worries I read about of the people
residing in the Third Reich, in the Soviet Union, in Fascist Italy.
Heil Michael Savage?

You enjoy being pathetic?
Get help is my best suggestion.

Right-wing groups 'growing' in US
By Jon Donnison
BBC News, Washington
America could be facing a surge in right-wing extremism, according to a
new US government report.

Richard Poplawski, a member of a racist
group, killed three police officers

The Department of Homeland Security study says the election of America's
first black president and the economic slump has helped racist groups
recruit.

But the report says no specific attacks are being planned by extremists.
Some moderate conservatives fear the administration could use the report
as an excuse to tighten gun laws and restrict freedom of speech.

Pronounced threat

The report says that high unemployment figures and home foreclosures
have created a climate similar to the early 1990s when white
supremacists saw a growth period.

That resurgence was stifled in 1995 after an FBI crackdown on extreme
right groups following the Oklahoma City bombings which were carried out
by white supremacist Timothy McVeigh.

Some extreme right websites reported a surge in membership immediately
after Barack Obama's election.

The Homeland Security study says the threat posed by what it calls "lone
wolves" and "small terrorist cells" is more pronounced that in previous
years.

It cites an example two weeks ago when three police officers were shot
dead in Pittsburgh by Richard Poplawski, who had been a member of a
white supremacist group.

Some more moderate conservatives have criticised the Homeland Security
study. They believe the White House could use it to justify tougher gun
laws and restrictions on conservatives' freedom of speech.

The issue is being keenly debated on right-wing blogs and talk shows.
Radio talk show host Michael Savage, who runs the website Savage Nation,
is asking his readers whether Homeland Security Secretary Janet
Napolitano should step down for "targeting loyal, patriotic Americans as
possible terrorists".

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...as/8000763.stm

Published: 2009/04/15 16:52:55 GMT

© BBC MMIX
--

- Billy

Old 18-04-2009, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

Charlie wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:40:27 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
bigmike20vt wrote:

[...]

You mean burn them right off.
--

- Billy

Old 18-04-2009, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:40:19 -0400, Tim wrote:

Dang Charlie, that'd prolly cure hemorrhoids too.

http://www.hemorrhoid-treatment.info...ective-hemorrh
oids-cure.html

;-)

Charlie

Ya GOTTA be kidding, right???
hehe

Tim

Takes "the burning and itching of ...." to another level, no?

Charlie

Aw Charlie, you gettin' me all puckered up.
--

- Billy