Old 18-04-2009, 07:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Where to buy the best seeds???

FUDGE! FUDGE! FUDGE! I wonder if it would be possible to make ginger
fudge...though back to peppers and such, I have 2 cayennes that have
sprouted...has anyone ever made like a warming lotion for bad
circulation/frostbite using the crushed seeds?

Victoria, zone 5a
P.S. I also like flour tortillas as my tortilla of choice(out of 2 choices)
for the main Mexican food I eat, quesadillas. It's like a pizza but much
less hassle to make :-)

"Billy" wrote in message
Garlic and ginger are supposed to be the two best things that a person
can eat (at least for fudge factors) and lots of green leaves like
lettuce, mustard, cabbage, and chard. It's the processed foods that will
do you in. Hard to say, when I like French bread and flour tortillas so
much.
--

- Billy

Old 18-04-2009, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ers2...
FUDGE! FUDGE! FUDGE! I wonder if it would be possible to make ginger
fudge...though back to peppers and such, I have 2 cayennes that have
sprouted...has anyone ever made like a warming lotion for bad
circulation/frostbite using the crushed seeds?

We used to add crushed red peppers to our socks when we were going to be
outside on a cold winter day. It's definately warming.
Steve

Old 18-04-2009, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:35:53 -0400, "Steve Peek"
wrote:

Charlie wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:40:27 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
bigmike20vt wrote:

Thanks everyone for the responses (tho it seems that they have gone on
the wrong thread so sorry to the OP who was asking about buying the
best seeds!).

to answer Dave, who i am sure drives a Chelsea Tractor to keep his man
image intact as well

my chilis/peppers are as follows

Jalapeno purple
Habanero orange
habanero Caribbean red
Pepper De Arbol
Indian Fire Cracker
Hungarian Hot Wax
Scotch bonnet Red
Pepper (Capsicum) Fresno
Naga Morich
Anahiem TMR chillies
sweet pepper Bellboy F1

Man, you must hate mornings ;O)

It's been said that a teaspoon of cayenne (or any hot pepper powder or
tincture) mixed in a glass of water and glugged down will stop or
mitigate a heart or brain attack.

It's also said that the same dosage thrice daily will promote
circulation and help in cases of arterial baddies. Good fer the colon
also, it's said.

Try it, tain't near as hot as one would imagine, though I'd suggest
stirring it in cold water.

Part of my daily downings. Next morning complaints are short lived.

Charlie

Dang Charlie, that'd prolly cure hemorrhoids too.

http://www.hemorrhoid-treatment.info...oids-cure.html

;-)

Charlie

I'll pass, thank you just the same.
"Honey, where's the Preperation H?"

Old 18-04-2009, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:28:01 -0700, "Lilah Morgan"
wrote:

FUDGE! FUDGE! FUDGE! I wonder if it would be possible to make ginger
fudge...though back to peppers and such, I have 2 cayennes that have
sprouted...has anyone ever made like a warming lotion for bad
circulation/frostbite using the crushed seeds?

An infusion of olive oil and cayenne pepper is most excellant for sore
muscles and increases circulation when applied topically....and
internally.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/caye...l-remedies.htm

Directions for making an oil infusion with whatever herbs one prefers.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2093152_make-oil-infusions.html

Charlie

Reminds me of Tiger Balm.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...er+balm+ingred
ients&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 18-04-2009, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Lilah Morgan" wrote:

FUDGE! FUDGE! FUDGE! I wonder if it would be possible to make ginger
fudge...though back to peppers and such, I have 2 cayennes that have
sprouted...has anyone ever made like a warming lotion for bad
circulation/frostbite using the crushed seeds?

Victoria, zone 5a
P.S. I also like flour tortillas as my tortilla of choice(out of 2 choices)
for the main Mexican food I eat, quesadillas. It's like a pizza but much
less hassle to make :-)

I like flour tortillas too but they are made from highly processed wheat
flour that has little to recommend it nutritionally, except for calories.
Corn tortillas are healthier for you.

I think you're looking for a rubefacient.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubefacient

A rubefacient is a substance for external application that produces
redness of the skin e.g. by causing dilation of the capillaries and an
increase in blood circulation.
They are believed to relieve pain by a counterirritant effect, and many
act via transient receptor potential ion channels. Common medicinal
rubefacients include [1]:
€ Capsaicin (derived from Cayenne, Capsicum minimum)
€ Salicylates (such as Oil of Wintergreen, Methyl Salicylate)
€ Nicotinate esters
€ Rubbing alcohol
Common herbal rubefacients include:
€ Cloves (Eugenia caryphyllus)
€ Garlic (Allium sativum)
€ Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
€ Horseradish (Cochlearia armoracia)
€ Mustard (Brassica alba or B. nigra)
€ Nettle (Urtica dioica)
€ Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis)
€ Rue (Ruta graveolens)

More on rubefacients
athttp://www.pfaf.org/database/search_use.php?K%5B%5D=rubefacient

Cayenne
Cayenne pepper has beneficial antioxidant and cardiovascular effects.
It has many beneficial effects on gastrointestinal function.
Antioxidant activity: The carotene molecules of cayenne pepper and
paprika exert powerful antioxidant effects.

Cardiovascular effects:
Cayenne pepper exerts a number of beneficial effects on the
cardiovascular system. It reduces the likelihood of developing,
atherosclerosis by reducing blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
It also reduces the platelet aggregation and increases fibrinolytic
activity. Cultures consuming a large amount of cayenne pepper have a
much lower rate of cardiovascular disease.

Topical Effects:
When topically applied to the skin or mucous membranes, capsaicin
stimulates and then block small diameter pain fibers by depleting them
of neurotransmitter called substance P. Substance P is believed to be
the principal transmitter of pain impulses. It also has been shown to
activate inflammatory mediators in joint tissues in osteoarthritis and
rheumatoid arthritis.

Clinical Applications:
Capsaicin lowers body temperature by stimulating the cooling center of
the hypothalamus in the brain. It appears that people who live in
tropics deals with high temperature by consuming cayenne pepper.
Cayenne ointments may offer benefits in a number of conditions,
including pain disorders (postamputation pain, postmastectomy pain, post
herpetic neuralgia, diabetic neuropathy, cluster headaches,
osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. Topically applied capsaicin
may be useful in the treatment of psoriasis.

Pain Relief:
Capsaicin was found to relieve the pain associated with shingles (herpes
zoster), a clinical condition known as post-herpetic neuralgia. Clinical
trials have shown that about 50% of those taking capsaicin report
improvement as opposed to 10% for the placebo group.*

Topically applied capsaicin may be effective in reducing the pain of
trigeminal neuralgia, a painful disorder of the main nerve of the face
characterized by severe, stabbing pain affecting the cheek, lips, gums,
or chin on one side of the face. In one study, more than 80% of those
treated with capsaicin responded favorably. This is remarkable as there
are no medication available for this condition except surgery. Capsaicin
may help relieve the pain following breast reconstruction or mastectomy.

Mouth pain due to chemotherapy or radiation:
Capsaicin was found to reduce the pain of mouth sores resulting from
chemotherapy or radiation treatment dramatically in a clinical trial.
Diabetic Neuropathy:
Diabetic neuropathy is a painful nerve disorder caused by long-term
diabetes. Capsaicin has been found to be of considerable benefit in
relieving pain of this condition.
Cluster headaches:
Cluster headaches are migraine-like headaches characterized by severe
pain, usually localized around one eye. Double blind studies have shown
that intranasal application of a special capsaicin ointment by a
physician may relieve cluster headaches. Episodic patients were found to
benefit more from the treatment than chronic patients.

Arthritis:
Capsaicin may be effective in relieving the pain of either
osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.

Psoriasis:
Excessive substance P levels in the skin have been linked to psoriasis.
Capsaicin was found to reduce scaling, redness and combined psoriasis
severity.
http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h43.htm

Used externally, the fruit is a strong rubefacient stimulating the
circulation, aiding the removal of waste products and increasing the
flow of nutrients to the tissues[254]. It is applied as a cataplasm or
liniment[4]. It has also been powdered and placed inside socks as a
traditional remedy for those prone to cold feet[254].
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....cum+frutescens
--

- Billy

Old 19-04-2009, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Yeah I keep saying I'm gonna step back from processed foods and go to a more
'natural' hunter/gatherer type diet(aka if I can't kill it or pick it, I
won't eat it), and someday I'll actually do it. I have started with small
steps like switching from pasta to rice. Rice still is processed, but it's
mostly just hulling/polishing it as far as I know, and it's just rice. Pasta
has flour, eggs, water, preservatives and other crap in it...and thanks for
the other info

Old 19-04-2009, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Lilah Morgan" wrote:

Yeah I keep saying I'm gonna step back from processed foods and go to a more
'natural' hunter/gatherer type diet(aka if I can't kill it or pick it, I
won't eat it), and someday I'll actually do it. I have started with small
steps like switching from pasta to rice. Rice still is processed, but it's
mostly just hulling/polishing it as far as I know, and it's just rice. Pasta
has flour, eggs, water, preservatives and other crap in it...and thanks for
the other info

Not necessarily but our foods are getting more expensive.

http://www.edenfoods.com/

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Pasta/Main.aspx

Bill

Old 19-04-2009, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Lilah Morgan" wrote:

Yeah I keep saying I'm gonna step back from processed foods and go to a more
'natural' hunter/gatherer type diet(aka if I can't kill it or pick it, I
won't eat it), and someday I'll actually do it. I have started with small
steps like switching from pasta to rice. Rice still is processed, but it's
mostly just hulling/polishing it as far as I know, and it's just rice. Pasta
has flour, eggs, water, preservatives and other crap in it...and thanks for
the other info

Hold on cowboy, you still got whole wheat pasta and brown rice. I made
Spanish rice last night with brown rice :

Meaty Spanish Rice

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound ground turkey
1 onion -- chopped
1 green bell pepper -- chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cu long-grain brown rice -- uncooked
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- optional
black pepper -- to taste

In a skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add ground turkey, onion and
green pepper and cook until turkey is browned and vegetables are tender.
Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer
until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.

Very edible. It was a little damp after 30 min. so I threw in another
1/4 cup brown rice and waited another 30 min. I was going to serve it
with chard but got lazy and just served salad.

You also still have whole wheat bread. Look at the difference in white
unbleached flour:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...st_nut_edit.pl
compared to whole wheat flour:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...st_nut_edit.pl

White flour, it's amazing. They strip out most of the nutrition, add
back six or so vitamins and call it enriched!

I haven't cut out all my white bread. I love croissants with jam in the
morning and French bread and cheese (occasionally) after dinner or for
dinner with a salad.
--

- Billy

Old 20-04-2009, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Charlie wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 08:55:20 -0400, Tim wrote:

I look at it like this, 9 years ago the Docs told me I had five years to
live...So I spent those five living, enjoying sunsets, really looking at
my wifes flower garden etc...I really believe that mental health leads
to physical health....that and the three kids finally all moved out! lol.

Tim

And here is an important lesson for all of us! (I don't mean getting
the kids out. heh heh) It's hard to develop that attitude without the
stimulis of our potential demise, but it's sure important to work on.
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross wrote of this in her final years, that facing
your death and working through it in advance of the event, in order
that one could fully enjoy the living.

You keep on keepin' on, Tim and hang out here more often, ya' hear!

Hell, if you're lucky ya' might even manage to **** off Billy and
enjoy one of his fine tirades. ;-)

Charlie

I'll be here. Of all the ng's I lurk through, this is my favorite so
far, and the only one I post to with few exceptions. I think it's
because of all the smiling faces I see..Most other ng's seem to be
populated by folks that are...well...pretentious.
As far as ****ing people off, that happens anyway, most times
unintentionally. So I am sure I will, if it has not happened already.

Tim
Old 20-04-2009, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

“Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as
by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you
as by the way your mind looks at what happens.” -- Kahlil Gibran

I want my food dead. Not sick, not dying, dead.
Oscar Wilde
--

- Billy

Old 20-04-2009, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Tim wrote:

Charlie wrote:
[...]

If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life.
Oscar Wilde
--

- Billy

Old 20-04-2009, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:14:09 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

Ya' know, sometimes I gotta digest you for a bit to figure out what
you are about........

Charlie

“All persons are puzzles until at last we find in some word or act the
key to the man, to the woman; straightway all their past words and
actions lie in light before us” ---- Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you pretend to be good, the world takes you very seriously. If you
pretend to be bad, it doesn't. Such is the astounding stupidity of
optimism.
Oscar Wilde;O)
--

- Billy

Old 20-04-2009, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
Oscar Wilde

If your sucking for worms all day, it doesn't hurt to roll over and look
at the stars for awhile.
--

- Billy

Old 20-04-2009, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

"Strange days indeed."
Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Tim
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered User

Garden style are always very important to choose as they should be unique and should have a some good specifications as they hold your impression and also determine the security of fishes.
cannabis seeds