Old 24-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Registered User

Question puzzled

hi, im new to site, ive found a few plants growing in my garden, and one in a jar on window sill, which look like tomatoes, had small white flowers with yellow centre, so i thought maybe my grankids have thrown an old tom, from a sandwich, and they have took , so i nursed them alaong, but the trusses, bunch like toms, but on riening the fruit looks like a blackberry or other black fruit.......any ideas please, oh by the by, its healthy....alan
Old 24-08-2009, 10:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default puzzled

In article ,
sonofquassie23 wrote:

hi, im new to site, ive found a few plants growing in my garden, and one
in a jar on window sill, which look like tomatoes, had small white
flowers with yellow centre, so i thought maybe my grankids have thrown
an old tom, from a sandwich, and they have took , so i nursed them
alaong, but the trusses, bunch like toms, but on riening the fruit
looks like a blackberry or other black fruit.......any ideas please, oh
by the by, its healthy....alan

Sounds like a type of deadly nightshade...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 24-08-2009, 11:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sonofquassie23 said:

hi, im new to site, ive found a few plants growing in my garden, and one
in a jar on window sill, which look like tomatoes, had small white
flowers with yellow centre, so i thought maybe my grankids have

thrown
an old tom, from a sandwich, and they have took , so i nursed them
alaong, but the trusses, bunch like toms, but on riening the fruit
looks like a blackberry or other black fruit.......any ideas please, oh
by the by, its healthy....alan

Odds are strongly in favor of this being some sort of at least mildly
or potentially poisonous nightshade.

Like, say, this one:
http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/po...ts/ppblani.htm

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 27-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Registered User

While I agree that you most likely have a poisonous nightshade there is a slight possibility that it is an heirloom tomato (tomatoes are part of the nightshade family). Now as this is a small possibility I would not take a chance on trying the fruit. If you live in the UK you could try using the RHS advisory service http://rhs.org.uk/advice/advisory_service.asp who should be able to give you a more positive identification. For more on heirloom tomatoes http;//www.growingyourownveg.com/tomatotypes.php

Puzzled and Upset. ~ jan[_3_] Ponds 0 23-07-2011 02:50 AM
Still Puzzled about Nitrites SueAndHerZoo Ponds 10 06-04-2004 09:26 PM