Old 17-06-2010, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Gardening Green (How to become an Organic Genius!)

garden guy wrote:
Hey guys hope all is well Anyways my friend made this page about
becoming an Organinc gardener. I saw it and now i'm a green gardener

No not green, pink. As Rene Descartes said "I'm pink therfore I'm spam".

David

Old 17-06-2010, 07:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

garden guy wrote:
Hey guys hope all is well Anyways my friend made this page about
becoming an Organinc gardener. I saw it and now i'm a green gardener

No not green, pink. As Rene Descartes said "I'm pink therfore I'm spam".

David

You silly sot. That's I drink, therefore I am ;O)
--
- Billy
Old 17-06-2010, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 17, 12:52*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

garden guy wrote:
Hey guys hope all is well Anyways my friend made this page about
becoming an Organinc gardener. I saw it and now i'm a green gardener

No not green, pink. *As Rene Descartes said "I'm pink therfore I'm spam".

David

You silly sot. That's I drink, therefore I am ;O)
--
- Billy
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3l...Zinn_page.html

Hello Billy well then I'll tell you all about myself. I live in a
small town in East South Dakota called Mt.Vernon. Second of all I
didn't make the page my friend in Colorado did. To tell you the truth
I've never done organic gardening until this year. And i have no idea
what tomatoe to plant in Utah because I've never lived there in a dry
climate. But I would recommend the celebrity tomatoes because i
planted a whole bunch of them last year and made ketchup and about 10
jars of it. I couldn't really tell you that much about other than the
seed needs to go in rich soil and have plenty of water and sunlight. I
just gotta ask you though what's with the whole Benito Mussolini???
Anyways I'll try to get up pictures of the old tomato garden. Thanks
Billy.
Old 17-06-2010, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

You silly sot. That's I drink, therefore I am ;O)

(Recycled, with apologies):

Rene Descartes sitting in a bar.
Barkeep: "another one sir?"
Descartes: "I think not."

Poof! He disappears.

Old 17-06-2010, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
garden guy wrote:

On Jun 17, 12:52*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

garden guy wrote:
Hey guys hope all is well Anyways my friend made this page about
becoming an Organinc gardener. I saw it and now i'm a green gardener

No not green, pink. *As Rene Descartes said "I'm pink therfore I'm spam".

David

You silly sot. That's I drink, therefore I am ;O)
--
- Billy
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito
Mussolini.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3l....thirdworldtra
veler.com/Zinn/HZinn_page.html

Hello Billy well then I'll tell you all about myself. I live in a
small town in East South Dakota called Mt.Vernon. Second of all I
didn't make the page my friend in Colorado did. To tell you the truth
I've never done organic gardening until this year. And i have no idea
what tomatoe to plant in Utah because I've never lived there in a dry
climate. But I would recommend the celebrity tomatoes because i
planted a whole bunch of them last year and made ketchup and about 10
jars of it. I couldn't really tell you that much about other than the
seed needs to go in rich soil and have plenty of water and sunlight.

And how does this differ from other tomatoes?

If you have lots of money, rich soil, warm temps, lots of sunlight, and
available water, you can easily grow a garden. When you lack any of
these elements, however, you require a gardener. A gardener to explain
what garden soil is, and how to achieve it cheaply. A gardener to give
you the options for dealing with to much, and too little heat. A
gardener to suggest plants that would produce a crop with the available
sunlight, be it 12 hours of full sun or 6 hours of mottled sun. A
gardener to suggest plants with low water requirements like garlic or
Opuntia. Of course this wouldn't be a gardener with just knowledge from
classroom gardening, but from hands on experience, i.e. experience from
gardening in Toronto, Calgary, Seattle, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Austin,
St. Louis, Atlanta, Charleston, Trenton, to Halifax. And then when you
have your plants growing like crazy, suddenly they are attacked by
insects that you've never heard of before. What to do?

The other benefit here is that this is a labor of love, gardeners
helping gardeners. Thus we needn't worry about profit margin.

just gotta ask you though what's with the whole Benito Mussolini???

The Bambino? Modern fascism was created by Mussolini (you can look it
up, if you like). President Isenhower explained it once
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y06NSBBRtY It would only take two and
a half minutes to listen to his warning.

Then you might notice that half of our war zone military are private
contractors. Spying is being done on Americans by private companies.
Voter roles are being purged of legitimate voters by private companies.
Private companies are feeding, and housing OUR military (on no bid
contracts, I might mention [don't touch the pipes in the showers]).
Public mineral rights are sold cheaply to private companies.
Environmental and safety requirements are waived by the government for
private companies. Our government meets behind closed doors with the
directors of private companies. Private companies donate money to the
campaigns of OUR national leaders. The USDA is more interested in
selling agricultural products than it is in protecting public health,
and the FDA is too over taxed, under funded, and has insufficient
authority to protect the public health from the likes of Tyson (wants to
irradiate the crap on chickens so you won't get sick, but the crap will
still be there), Monsanto (selling dangerous GMOs [yeah, I know,
redundant], Cargill [thanks for the HFCS, and dirty meat], et al.

Anyway, that's the short answer.

Anyways I'll try to get up pictures of the old tomato garden. Thanks

We ALL could do that. What would be the point, or do you have a problem
that you would like to exhibit? Otherwise, just pitch in and help answer
some questions from gardeners.

By the way, how tall was your largest parsnip? I swear that mine is
topping 6' now. Gotta get a picture. The sunflower is around 7', and the
potatoes are pushing 5' easy.
--
- Billy

Old 17-06-2010, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"garden guy" wrote in message
And i have no idea

what tomatoe to plant in Utah because I've never lived there in a dry
climate. But I would recommend the celebrity tomatoes

I jus planted a half a dozen slicer varieties, and the Celebrities are the
only ones who seem to be doing badly. They wilt every single day and need
lots of extra attention. That's probably why they are called Celebrity.

I couldn't really tell you that much about other than the

seed needs to go in rich soil and have plenty of water and sunlight.

Wow, that's great advice! Thanks! I'll try that!
--S.

Old 17-06-2010, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

"garden guy" wrote in message
And i have no idea

what tomatoe to plant in Utah because I've never lived there in a dry
climate. But I would recommend the celebrity tomatoes

I jus planted a half a dozen slicer varieties, and the Celebrities are the
only ones who seem to be doing badly. They wilt every single day and need
lots of extra attention. That's probably why they are called Celebrity.

I couldn't really tell you that much about other than the

seed needs to go in rich soil and have plenty of water and sunlight.

Wow, that's great advice! Thanks! I'll try that!
--S.

Who would have thunk it was so easy, huh?
--
- Billy
Old 17-06-2010, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

"garden guy" wrote in message
And i have no idea

what tomatoe to plant in Utah because I've never lived there in a dry
climate. But I would recommend the celebrity tomatoes

I jus planted a half a dozen slicer varieties, and the Celebrities are the
only ones who seem to be doing badly. They wilt every single day and need
lots of extra attention. That's probably why they are called Celebrity.

I couldn't really tell you that much about other than the

seed needs to go in rich soil and have plenty of water and sunlight.

Wow, that's great advice! Thanks! I'll try that!
--S.

Who would have thunk it was so easy, huh?

http://www.rhymes.org.uk/a48-kind-hearts-are-gardens.htm

Growing stuff is a worthy challenge and it keeps on changing similar
to life. Dealing with the change the real challenge perhaps. I favor
yielding but can lapse into heavy weeding on occasion just as I know
tis better to weed early than to let weeds grow strong.

Above URL stuff from my childhood maybe yours too. Be sure too look at
the index on a rainy day.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 17-06-2010, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 17, 12:24*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*"Suzanne D." wrote:

"garden guy" wrote in message
And i have no idea

what tomatoe to plant in Utah because I've never lived there in a dry
climate. But I would recommend the celebrity tomatoes

I jus planted a half a dozen slicer varieties, and the Celebrities are the
only ones who seem to be doing badly. *They wilt every single day and need
lots of extra attention. *That's probably why they are called Celebrity.

I couldn't really tell you that much about other than the

seed needs to go in rich soil and have plenty of water and sunlight.

Wow, that's great advice! *Thanks! *I'll try that!
--S.

Who would have thunk it was so easy, huh?
--
- Billy
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3l...Zinn_page.html

Well sorry that your celebrity's are going bad but I live in a humid
climate and I water them everyday, but about my potatoes they have
holes in them from pesty insects. I need help. Do I put that insect
dust on them??

Old 17-06-2010, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
garden guy wrote:

On Jun 17, 12:24*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*"Suzanne D." wrote:

"garden guy" wrote in message
[...]

Colorado bean guys just a squish . Rotenone organic but...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16243845

Actually that insect dust is profound ignorance. Sevin malathion yada
yada.

You do need help and I'd suggest going to a library or neighbors that
have been in the garden for awhile.

Old 18-06-2010, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

garden guy wrote:
On Jun 17, 12:52 am, Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

garden guy wrote:
Hey guys hope all is well Anyways my friend made this page about
becoming an Organinc gardener. I saw it and now i'm a green
gardener

No not green, pink. As Rene Descartes said "I'm pink therfore I'm
spam".

David

You silly sot. That's I drink, therefore I am ;O)
--
- Billy
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito
Mussolini.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3l...Zinn_page.html

Hello Billy well then I'll tell you all about myself. I live in a
small town in East South Dakota called Mt.Vernon. Second of all I
didn't make the page my friend in Colorado did.

After some fussing about I eventually got to your "friend's" page, your link
doesn't get there.

I found a fair bit of waffle about why one should go organic followed by a
list of products that I should buy and very little information about growing
anything at all.

How is this helpful?

David

Old 18-06-2010, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
garden guy wrote:

On Jun 17, 12:24*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*"Suzanne D." wrote:

"garden guy" wrote in message
[...]

Could you describe the insect, or post a picture of it, and the damage
on the web? Is this leaf damage, or in the tuber? What is the extent of
the damage 5%, 90%, worse?

Where do you live? What kind of soil do you have, how are the potatoes
watered, and how wet is the ground around the potatoes?

I wouldn't advise the use of any insecticide, at least until the problem
is identified. Even then there are environmental concerns to be
considered. Many insecticides affect humans (organophosphates),
pollinating insects, soil ecology, and water quality. Since you are
trying to be an organic gardener, I suggest that we look at "Integrated
Pest Management", once the problem is defined.

Usually planning ahead will avoid most problems that might arise, and
sometimes, through no fault of our own, part of our crop is lost. We
call it tuition.
--
- Billy
Old 18-06-2010, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 17, 12:24*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*"Suzanne D." wrote:

"garden guy" wrote in message
[...]

Apparently I missed the part about east South Dakota, but the rest of
the query stands.

Could you describe the insect, or post a picture of it, and the damage
on the web? Is this leaf damage, or in the tuber? What is the extent of
the damage 5%, 90%, worse?

Where do you live? What kind of soil do you have, how are the potatoes
watered, and how wet is the ground around the potatoes?

I wouldn't advise the use of any insecticide, at least until the problem
is identified. Even then there are environmental concerns to be
considered. Many insecticides affect humans (organophosphates),
pollinating insects, soil ecology, and water quality. Since you are
trying to be an organic gardener, I suggest that we look at "Integrated
Pest Management", once the problem is defined.

Usually planning ahead will avoid most problems that might arise, and
sometimes, through no fault of our own, part of our crop is lost. We
call it tuition;O)
--
- Billy
- Billy