Old 05-02-2011, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Soil sample taken .

Hi,

I got a Accugrow test kit and a D hoe from Johnnies today. I just had to
go dig a hole. So I went out and dug a hole in the snow and soil to get a
sample. And did a test. This is what I came up with.

PH 7
Nitrogen A
Phosphorus D
Potassium C- D , but its closer to D then C

Last year I mixed up liquid fish fertilizer and poured it on the plants
using a hand waterer. And that's mostly nitrogen. So that guess worked
out. It was 5-1-1, 0r 3-1-1.

Other then that, And the fact I just dug a hole in the snow in the dark.
It looks like I'm nitrogen deficient. And the fact that the kit doesn't
show PH above 7. How would you know if your PH is over 7.

Diesel

Old 06-02-2011, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

Hi,

I got a Accugrow test kit and a D hoe from Johnnies today. I just had to
go dig a hole. So I went out and dug a hole in the snow and soil to get a
sample. And did a test. This is what I came up with.

PH 7
Nitrogen A
Phosphorus D
Potassium C- D , but its closer to D then C

Last year I mixed up liquid fish fertilizer and poured it on the plants
using a hand waterer. And that's mostly nitrogen. So that guess worked
out. It was 5-1-1, 0r 3-1-1.

Other then that, And the fact I just dug a hole in the snow in the dark.
It looks like I'm nitrogen deficient. And the fact that the kit doesn't
show PH above 7. How would you know if your PH is over 7.

Diesel

Litmus paper

or

http://chemistry.about.com/od/acidsbase1/a/red-cabbage-ph-indicator.htm
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."

Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

[...]

That is so cool, I have 3/4 of that stuff.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

[...]

Have fun, Dawg.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

Hi,

I got a Accugrow test kit and a D hoe from Johnnies today. I just
had to go dig a hole. So I went out and dug a hole in the snow and
soil to get a sample. And did a test. This is what I came up with.

PH 7
Nitrogen A
Phosphorus D
Potassium C- D , but its closer to D then C

Last year I mixed up liquid fish fertilizer and poured it on the
plants using a hand waterer. And that's mostly nitrogen. So that
guess worked out. It was 5-1-1, 0r 3-1-1.

What do these letters A, B etc mean in this context?

Other then that, And the fact I just dug a hole in the snow in the
dark. It looks like I'm nitrogen deficient. And the fact that the
kit doesn't show PH above 7. How would you know if your PH is over
7.

Diesel

How weird that they don't cover that. I would expect there to be quite a
few districts in the USA where the typical soil pH would be alkaline.
Consider testing in several places before amending your soil, as sample of
one is not very representative.

Litmus paper

This isn't going to be very accurate because litmus changes colour over
quite a wide range of pH, you are probably not going to be able to tell if
the pH is 7, 8 or above 8 using litmus. There are dye indicator systems
that will give you a much better reading. I forget the brand of the one I
have and as the temperature is about 42C I am not going out to the shed to
find it right now.

David

Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

Hi,

I got a Accugrow test kit and a D hoe from Johnnies today. I just
had to go dig a hole. So I went out and dug a hole in the snow and
soil to get a sample. And did a test. This is what I came up with.

PH 7
Nitrogen A
Phosphorus D
Potassium C- D , but its closer to D then C

Last year I mixed up liquid fish fertilizer and poured it on the
plants using a hand waterer. And that's mostly nitrogen. So that
guess worked out. It was 5-1-1, 0r 3-1-1.

I did put a half gallon of dry of 10-10-10 down and tilled it in.
Forgot about that.

What do these letters A, B etc mean in this context?

The closer to A , the more deficient. D being ideal, I guess.

Other then that, And the fact I just dug a hole in the snow in the
dark. It looks like I'm nitrogen deficient. And the fact that the
kit doesn't show PH above 7. How would you know if your PH is over
7.

Diesel

How weird that they don't cover that. I would expect there to be quite a
few districts in the USA where the typical soil pH would be alkaline.
Consider testing in several places before amending your soil, as sample of
one is not very representative.

Yea, For sure, I just had to go do one and see. I never checked it ever.

Litmus paper

This isn't going to be very accurate because litmus changes colour over
quite a wide range of pH, you are probably not going to be able to tell if
the pH is 7, 8 or above 8 using litmus.

I agree. And I will address this issue. But its unlikely that Im not
Nitrogen deficient. What plants grew last year responded very well to me
adding fish fertilizer to them.

There are dye indicator systems
that will give you a much better reading. I forget the brand of the one I
have and as the temperature is about 42C I am not going out to the shed to
find it right now.

David

I wouldnt do it either.

Diesel.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DogDiesel wrote:

I agree. And I will address this issue. But its unlikely that Im
not Nitrogen deficient. What plants grew last year responded very
well to me adding fish fertilizer to them.

Don't get too excited about measured N levels unless your plants are showing
signs of deficiency. The agronomists that I talk to say it is the most
difficult element to measure reliably and the one that can vary quite
quickly because many N compounds are very soluble in water and/or gaseous so
they move about easily.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

[...]

42C in New South Wales?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

DogDiesel wrote:

I agree. And I will address this issue. But its unlikely that Im
not Nitrogen deficient. What plants grew last year responded very
well to me adding fish fertilizer to them.

Don't get too excited about measured N levels unless your plants are showing
signs of deficiency. The agronomists that I talk to say it is the most
difficult element to measure reliably and the one that can vary quite
quickly because many N compounds are very soluble in water and/or gaseous so
they move about easily.

Or you have so much organic material in the soil, that the
microorganisms consume the N to create a population large enough to
consume the resource of carbon (starch&cellulose), and little N is left
for the plants.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

DogDiesel wrote:

I agree. And I will address this issue. But its unlikely that Im
not Nitrogen deficient. What plants grew last year responded very
well to me adding fish fertilizer to them.

Don't get too excited about measured N levels unless your plants are
showing
signs of deficiency. The agronomists that I talk to say it is the most
difficult element to measure reliably and the one that can vary quite
quickly because many N compounds are very soluble in water and/or gaseous
so
they move about easily.

Or you have so much organic material in the soil, that the
microorganisms consume the N to create a population large enough to
consume the resource of carbon (starch&cellulose), and little N is left
for the plants.

until the organic material is depleted and the microorganisms die off,
releasing N.

Try taking a reading in a few weeks and a few after that to see what trend
may develop.

rob

Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

[...]

42C not 42F. That damned cyclone that hit Aus. Also blowing hot stickly air
masses across the Tasman to us. Too hot & too wet.

rob

Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

42C in New South Wales?

Yes and I don't live at Broken Hill. We had 44C here a year or two ago. I
have been watering early morning and then retiring indoors, in the last week
I have used 30 kilolitres. Yesterday it was 30C at 8AM EDST (7AM sun time)
and 40C by 2PM.

A sunburnt country of droughts and flooding rains. And cyclones. The Little
Girl is still toying with us.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

42C in New South Wales?

Yes and I don't live at Broken Hill. We had 44C here a year or two ago. I
have been watering early morning and then retiring indoors, in the last week
I have used 30 kilolitres. Yesterday it was 30C at 8AM EDST (7AM sun time)
and 40C by 2PM.

You're in Bourke then?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

42C in New South Wales?

Yes and I don't live at Broken Hill. We had 44C here a year or two
ago. I have been watering early morning and then retiring indoors,
in the last week I have used 30 kilolitres. Yesterday it was 30C at
8AM EDST (7AM sun time) and 40C by 2PM.

You're in Bourke then?

No north of Newcastle, not 500km from the coast more like 50km.

this is the nearest automatic weather station with full details:

http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/watl/weath...&station=61250

Old 07-02-2011, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

42C in New South Wales?

Yes and I don't live at Broken Hill. We had 44C here a year or two
ago. I have been watering early morning and then retiring indoors,
in the last week I have used 30 kilolitres. Yesterday it was 30C at
8AM EDST (7AM sun time) and 40C by 2PM.

You're in Bourke then?

No north of Newcastle, not 500km from the coast more like 50km.

this is the nearest automatic weather station with full details:

http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/watl/weath...&station=61250

Your lucky to have such a good school near you. What's the name of the
river?