Old 14-02-2011, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Seedlings

My seedlings have become very spindely. They are ready to start going
to the green house for daily visits. My question is will they improve
and become sturdy? I know they should be transplanted into deeper dirt
but I really don't want to do that yet. Opinions? Ideas?
MJ
Old 14-02-2011, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
" wrote:

My seedlings have become very spindely. They are ready to start going
to the green house for daily visits. My question is will they improve
and become sturdy? I know they should be transplanted into deeper dirt
but I really don't want to do that yet. Opinions? Ideas?
MJ

Sound like they are reaching for light.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Old 14-02-2011, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 14, 5:15*pm, Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
My seedlings have become very spindely. They are ready to start going
to the green house for daily visits. My question is will they improve
and become sturdy? I know they should be transplanted into deeper dirt
but I really don't want to do that yet. Opinions? Ideas?
MJ

*Sound like they are reaching for light.

--
Bill *S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

I know and they are about to get lots but will they fill out a little
or will they just get top heavy and break?
Old 15-02-2011, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

" wrote:
My seedlings have become very spindely. They are ready to start going
to the green house for daily visits. My question is will they improve
and become sturdy? I know they should be transplanted into deeper dirt
but I really don't want to do that yet. Opinions? Ideas?
MJ

Sound like they are reaching for light.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

I know and they are about to get lots but will they fill out a little
or will they just get top heavy and break?

I find they will fill out. IF they can make through the first
transplanting. I plant four times the seedlings I need and choose the the
stoutest plants. More light is needed for your seedlings.

Old 15-02-2011, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

stoutest plants. More light is needed for your seedlings.

or move the light closer.... inverse square.

Old 24-02-2011, 07:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:46:57 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

My seedlings have become very spindely. They are ready to start going
to the green house for daily visits. My question is will they improve
and become sturdy? I know they should be transplanted into deeper dirt
but I really don't want to do that yet. Opinions? Ideas?
MJ

I think once they become long and thin, they will generally stay
that way for the rest of their little plant lives. They'll still grow
and produce decent fruits & veggies, but maybe not quite as abundantly
as a short stout plant. Eventually, if they get too far gone in being
long and thin (from deprivation of adequate light), the chance of
fruiting goes down by a decent amount.

Seedlings need lots of light the minute they break out of the soil.
Just a note for the next time....

I start mine indoors near the end of winter and right when they
sprout, I put a fluorescent light over them right away. Hook up a
cheap lamp timer to the lights if you want to control the hours. It's
pretty amazing how fast some of these seedlings can grow when they're
young. Sometimes even and inch or two a day. The bigger the seeds,
the faster the sprouting growth. So put the light on them quick.

The downside about having short, long plants (even if they can
produce normal fruit) is that they are vulnerable to high winds and
can snap in half and die a lot easier.

Angello
Old 25-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
My seedlings have become very spindely. They are ready to start going
to the green house for daily visits. My question is will they improve
and become sturdy? I know they should be transplanted into deeper dirt
but I really don't want to do that yet. Opinions? Ideas?
MJ
Depends what they are. With solanaceae (chillis, tomatoes, aubergines, etc) you can transplant the seedlings so that they are deeper in the soil, put them in improved light, and in a few weeks you'll never know they were spindly. When they have a few leaves, you can prune the top of to encourage them to bush out, if appropriate, also. But such tactics can be inappropriate for other kinds of plants.
Old 26-02-2011, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Seedlings need lots of light the minute they break out of the soil.
Just a note for the next time....

That must be why mine all die. Not enough constant light to grow.