Old 07-09-2011, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad Nad is offline

Default peas again

songbird wrote:
songbird wrote:

they've sprouted, maybe we'll have some
pods before the frosts. i'm hoping we
have late frosts and they will do well.
if anything they will be a cover crop.
we've really enjoyed the peas this year
and only regret we didn't plant more and
years ago.

ok, i can't find the exact date planted
but i think these sprouted after 4 days.
that makes the planting date around Aug
12.

today i see flowers, so i may get pods
before the frosts come.

just good to know it takes about 25 days
from planting in the summer in heavy soil
with full sun. watered often enough to
keep the soil moist.

from flower to pod not sure how many
days, but it seems to be only a few.

songbird

I had "Peas with cream sauce" with the fresh green peas from my garden
today.

http://alturl.com/9nt82

--
Nad
Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
Nad wrote:

I had "Peas with cream sauce" with the fresh green peas from my garden
today.

Yum. One of my favorite breakfasts is peas in the garden straight from the
vine and a fresh Samuel Adams beer; yummy. I'm still some weeks away from that,
though, because my first fall peas just began sprouting today.

most of the harvest here too does not
get far from the patch. we barely had
enough this summer for two or three meals
because we were both snacking as we'd
walk by.

still speaking of peas i was not at
all disappointed by the sample of the
smooth round green peas i had the other
day fresh off the plant. true the pods
were not as tender and tasty, but the
peas were good. from my reading i was
lead to believe that they would not
taste as good. i'm building up my
seed source for next year so i'm trying
not to raid these quite so much.

songbird
Old 08-09-2011, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

true the pods
were not as tender and tasty, but the
peas were good. from my reading i was
lead to believe that they would not
taste as good.

Do they have a varietal name that you know of? I've tried other peas that
are promoted as being more heat tolerant than my "regular" Little Marvel, which
would be a boon, but none of them has the combination of sweetness and flavor
that suits DW&me. Unfortunately, the LMs neither dry nor freeze well.

i'm not sure what you mean by saying that
LMs don't dry well? i pulled about a pound of
dry LMs out of the two patches i grew. they
seemed fine and sprouted well. i have not
cooked with them and perhaps that is what you
mean? that they aren't good soup or porridge
peas?

the peas above were smooth round peas in a
mixed bag of soup beans you would get at the
store. so no variety name given for these.

they didn't croak in the hot weather we
had (90s for weeks on end) and they didn't
get nearly enough water. i liked their
upright habit and the many tendrils they
put out so they've supported each other.
i'm sure this is something they've been
bred for as a field crop. i planted them
in a small clump with about a 6 inch spacing.

a cheap experiment at around $1/lb. about
14 kinds of beans to try. they've been a good
cover crop, planted late, the full evaluation
comes after the hard frost and dry bean harvest.
i'll get the scale out.

songbird