Old 03-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Bill McCarty

Default Mushrooms

My local upscale supermarket carries an impressive stock of
mushrooms. These include morels and black truffles of Perigord,
(at $500 a pound and kept in a glass case, under lock and key.)
Question: Has anyone tried to propagate such mushrooms by dicing and
planting a few of them ? Words of wisdom are woefully wanting
and warmly welcomed.

Regards, Bill.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Jim W

fBill McCarty wrote:

My local upscale supermarket carries an impressive stock of
mushrooms. These include morels and black truffles of Perigord,
(at $500 a pound and kept in a glass case, under lock and key.)
Question: Has anyone tried to propagate such mushrooms by dicing and
planting a few of them ? Words of wisdom are woefully wanting
and warmly welcomed.

Regards, Bill.

You possibly *could* do it if you provide the right conditions and the
spores are ripe.. I would try mebbe to look at cultivation
instructions for the DIY packs on the web first.. Truffle 'trees'
(they need a host tree species. Hazel and Oak IIRC.) and various
mushroom, logs spawn and kitsa re available to order..

I also seem to remember that truffles are very pH sensitive.

Worth a try though.. Let us know if you succeed;-)

//
Old 05-05-2003, 01:44 AM
simy1

"Bill McCarty" wrote in message ...
My local upscale supermarket carries an impressive stock of
mushrooms. These include morels and black truffles of Perigord,
(at $500 a pound and kept in a glass case, under lock and key.)
Question: Has anyone tried to propagate such mushrooms by dicing and
planting a few of them ? Words of wisdom are woefully wanting
and warmly welcomed.

Regards, Bill.

Many of us do, but not the way you say. www.fungi.com is where you buy
the stuff. suggest that you start with the easiest ones, oyster and
shiitake, and follow directions carefully.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
paddys1

If you want truffles forget it unless you are a rich man. The cheapest way
is to buy an inoculated oak tree, and wait and wait and pass it on to your
kids. There is a guy in the UK who has planted inoculated trees in a walled
garden, and he is still waiting. Cheapest way go to Italy and France where
they grow wild. In the UK on or two white truffles have been found so far.
Paddy

Old 07-05-2003, 08:44 PM
mixter

didn't have to try to propagate the morels, found them in my backyard.
weighed about four of them and they are over a pound.

mixter