Old 25-08-2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default Purslane

I've been weeding my garden today, after almost 2 weeks of rain --
following 2 months of drought. I've pulled up a couple of pounds of
purslane (there's more out there) and wondering what to do with it. I
know it is edible and supposed to be very nutritious.

Any ideas?

I'll probably stirfry some of it with onions, hot peppers, steamed brown
rice, and a little bit of breakfast sausage.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 25-08-2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
I've been weeding my garden today, after almost 2 weeks of rain --
following 2 months of drought. I've pulled up a couple of pounds of
purslane (there's more out there) and wondering what to do with it. I
know it is edible and supposed to be very nutritious.

Any ideas?

I'll probably stirfry some of it with onions, hot peppers, steamed
brown rice, and a little bit of breakfast sausage.

recipes and explanations here

http://www.prairienet.org/pcsa/recipes/purslane.htm

Old 25-08-2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I've been weeding my garden today, after almost 2 weeks of rain --
following 2 months of drought. I've pulled up a couple of pounds of
purslane (there's more out there) and wondering what to do with it. I
know it is edible and supposed to be very nutritious.

Any ideas?

I'll probably stirfry some of it with onions, hot peppers, steamed brown
rice, and a little bit of breakfast sausage.

Thanks,
Bob

It's good on salads. And, the stuff's really healthy to eat:
http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/11/4/374

Old 25-08-2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I've been weeding my garden today, after almost 2 weeks of rain --
following 2 months of drought. I've pulled up a couple of pounds of
purslane (there's more out there) and wondering what to do with it. I
know it is edible and supposed to be very nutritious.

Any ideas?

I'll probably stirfry some of it with onions, hot peppers, steamed brown
rice, and a little bit of breakfast sausage.

Thanks,
Bob

It's good on salads. And, the stuff's really healthy to eat:
http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/11/4/374

Aiiiyee, the stuff is a weed here. Make sure you pull it from edible sort of
ground, less insect sprays and so on. I think Logee's carries a foreign
variety that has thicker stalks. The Joy of Pickling has a recipe for
pickling it. Sounds interesting.
Edrena

Old 25-08-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I've been weeding my garden today, after almost 2 weeks of rain --
following 2 months of drought. I've pulled up a couple of pounds of
purslane (there's more out there) and wondering what to do with it. I
know it is edible and supposed to be very nutritious.

Any ideas?

I'll probably stirfry some of it with onions, hot peppers, steamed brown
rice, and a little bit of breakfast sausage.

Thanks,
Bob

Let us know the results.
I get a lot of it here too and I've just fed it to the ducks or
composted it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 25-08-2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

Any ideas?

In Armenia, purslane is widely used raw or blanched in salads with hot
seasonings and also as a herb, like parsley. In salads, it is typically
blanched in salted water, removed with a slotted spoon and allowed to
cool. It is then tossed with finely minced garlic, cilantro and parsley
and served with vinegary dressing (or just vinegar).

Victor
Old 26-08-2007, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I've been weeding my garden today, after almost 2 weeks of rain --
following 2 months of drought. I've pulled up a couple of pounds of
purslane (there's more out there) and wondering what to do with it. I
know it is edible and supposed to be very nutritious.

Any ideas?

I'll probably stirfry some of it with onions, hot peppers, steamed brown
rice, and a little bit of breakfast sausage.

Thanks,
Bob

Let us know the results.
I get a lot of it here too and I've just fed it to the ducks or
composted it.

I tasted a bit of it raw (mainly to see how tough the big stems were)
and was surprised that it is tart; like sorrel, but less so.

Instead of stir-frying it, I blanched some leaves and small stems, and
when they were done I stirred them into some brown rice with a little
chile & garlic paste (the oily kind from a SE Asian market.)

It wasn't /great/ but I'd eat it again. I may look up some Turkish or
Middle Eastern dishes using the stuff, maybe to go with that lamb that's
been in the freezer for a couple of years...

Bob

Bob
Old 26-08-2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

I tasted a bit of it raw (mainly to see how tough the big stems were) and
was surprised that it is tart; like sorrel, but less so.

Instead of stir-frying it, I blanched some leaves and small stems, and
when they were done I stirred them into some brown rice with a little
chile & garlic paste (the oily kind from a SE Asian market.)

It wasn't /great/ but I'd eat it again. I may look up some Turkish or
Middle Eastern dishes using the stuff, maybe to go with that lamb that's
been in the freezer for a couple of years...

When I was experimenting with purslane a couple years ago, I found that it
makes a good cream soup that can be eaten hot or cold. I also put it raw
into a sandwich with cream cheese and smoked salmon, or into a BLT with
honey mustard. If I was going to pair it with lamb, I'd consider making
plain lamb-and-potato kabobs, then combine purslane, walnuts, and olive oil
into a kind of pesto to accompany.

Now that I know what to do with it, naturally, I haven't seen it since.

Bob

Old 26-08-2007, 05:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Omelet wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I've been weeding my garden today, after almost 2 weeks of rain --
following 2 months of drought. I've pulled up a couple of pounds of
purslane clipped
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bob

Let us know the results.
I get a lot of it here too and I've just fed it to the ducks or composted
it.

I tasted a bit of it raw (mainly to see how tough the big stems were) and
was surprised that it is tart; like sorrel, but less so.

Instead of stir-frying it, I blanched some leaves and small stems, and
when they were done I stirred them into some brown rice with a little
chile & garlic paste (the oily kind from a SE Asian market.)
It wasn't /great/ but I'd eat it again. I may look up some Turkish or
Middle Eastern dishes using the stuff, maybe to go with that lamb that's
been in the freezer for a couple of years...
Bob

Bob, I think it's nice paired with those soba noodles and whatever else.
Adds a tiny bit of crunch. I usually put a little of whatever leftover meat
or veggies or in the fridge, along with some soup base or broth.
Edrena

Old 26-08-2007, 08:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

Sounds interesting, thanks!

I've used Sorrel from time to time just for interest. It's one of the
few "weeds" I allow to propagate since it's a Legume, hence, a nitrogen
fixer.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 26-08-2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

The Joneses wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Omelet wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

Or you can try this New Mexican way of preparing purslane (verdolaga)

2 cups purslane
4 tbs fat (lard is good here) or 1/2 cup diced salt pork
2 tbs chopped onion
1 cup shredded cooked meat (jerky preferred)
1 tsp ground coriander seed
salt to taste

Wash purslane leaving stems. Fry onion in fat; add purslane and meat.
Season. Cover and cook until tender.
Old 26-08-2007, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article , Arri London
wrote:

Bob, I think it's nice paired with those soba noodles and whatever else.
Adds a tiny bit of crunch. I usually put a little of whatever leftover meat
or veggies or in the fridge, along with some soup base or broth.
Edrena

Or you can try this New Mexican way of preparing purslane (verdolaga)

2 cups purslane
4 tbs fat (lard is good here) or 1/2 cup diced salt pork
2 tbs chopped onion
1 cup shredded cooked meat (jerky preferred)
1 tsp ground coriander seed
salt to taste

Wash purslane leaving stems. Fry onion in fat; add purslane and meat.
Season. Cover and cook until tender.

Serve wrapped in hot flour tortillas? :-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.