Old 02-05-2010, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Purslane

I was given some a few years ago, and understood I can eat it. Now it's
spread enough I have my eyes on it for a salad ingredient.
It's a variant = the flowers are pink.
Looks a bit like chickweed. but leaves are larger.

Anyone else have pink purslane?

Tina

Old 02-05-2010, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes
I was given some a few years ago, and understood I can eat it. Now it's
spread enough I have my eyes on it for a salad ingredient.
It's a variant = the flowers are pink.
Looks a bit like chickweed. but leaves are larger.

Anyone else have pink purslane?

Are you talking about a pink form of Portulaca oleracea (usually
yellow-flowered), or the naturalised Claytonia (or Montia) sibirica?

The latter was common in the wild around here a few years back, but
seems to have declined since. I've only seen it on one site so far this
year, but I expect I'll find others over the next few weeks. (This
year's usually common plant is Veronica hederifolia agg.)

If the latter, it sounds as if you need confirmation that Claytonia
sibirica is edible. (Fide Wikipedia, Portulaca oleracea contains oxalic
acid, so at some point overconsumption would be a problem.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-05-2010, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Hmm, I'll have a better look at it in the morning then, thanks, Stuart.
Tina

Old 02-05-2010, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 May 2010 18:08:57 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I was given some a few years ago, and understood I can eat it. Now it's
spread enough I have my eyes on it for a salad ingredient.
It's a variant = the flowers are pink.
Looks a bit like chickweed. but leaves are larger.

Anyone else have pink purslane?

Tina

By coincidence, a week ago we came across a patch of pink purslane
(Montia sibirica), growing wild in an area of rhododendron woodland
cleared a few years ago. Said to be an annual, so I guess this patch
regenerates every year. Chiltern sell the seeds; grows well in damp
shade, they say, which is where the patch we saw was growing.

Purslane is supposed to be very high in omega-3 fatty acids and good
for you. But quite a lot of things get called purslane, so whether
it's this one, I don't know.

A brief look at images online suggests it's montia sibirica, but as I said
to Stuart upthread I'll look more closely at it tomorrow.
It's growing in damp shade and the person who gave me the original plant
said it was edible. It seems to be an annual but self seeds readily.
Looks quite succulent for a few leaves in a salad along with garlic mustard
and a few young dandelion leaves ;-)

Rusty should kick in here, I hope. An expert on wild living (so to speak..)
erm, living from the wild..

Tina

Old 03-05-2010, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 May 2010 22:36:03 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Rusty will eat anything without a face, and even some things with one.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 04-05-2010, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 May 2010 22:36:03 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Chiltern say Montia sibirica is edible, eat it raw in salads, or after
a brief boiling as any other green veg.

Chris

Definitely montia sibirica so I will eat it as part of a salad, but not too
much of it.
Not done it yet but will add it to garlic mustard and dandelion.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 May 2010 22:36:03 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

---
He found himself with no money and I admire him for surviving this. Don't
you?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 4 May 2010 22:57:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

A brief look at images online suggests it's montia sibirica, but as I said
to Stuart upthread I'll look more closely at it tomorrow.
It's growing in damp shade and the person who gave me the original plant
said it was edible. It seems to be an annual but self seeds readily.
Looks quite succulent for a few leaves in a salad along with garlic
mustard
and a few young dandelion leaves ;-)

Rusty should kick in here, I hope. An expert on wild living (so to
speak..)
erm, living from the wild..

Rusty will eat anything without a face, and even some things with one.

---
He found himself with no money and I admire him for surviving this. Don't
you?

Has Rusty actually invited us to discuss his personal circumstances?

Rusty has made no secret in various groups of his reduced
circumstances and often initiated discussion himself. Such
circumstances he has stated many times are caused by a tediously
prolonged fight to establish entitlement to his pension rights.
But you're are right in one way, there is a difference in discussing
him in absentia, so to speak, and conversing with him good self on the
subject.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Since he posted his personal circumstances on a public forum, No-one should be surprised that anyone is discussing them.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Rusty will eat anything without a face, and even some things with one.

He found himself with no money and I admire him for surviving this. Don't
you?

Has Rusty actually invited us to discuss his personal circumstances?

I think by bringing up the subject himself in the past and not specifically
requesting it not be discussed, then yes, he implicitly invited all of
usenet to discuss his personal circumstances. 'Tis pretty much the nature
of the Usenet Beastie.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-05-04 20:58:01 +0100, "Christina Websell"

wrote:

[...]

No, but as he told us all about it previously I did not think it had now
become a secret.
Has it? Damn, must have missed that bit. Sorry.
Tina

Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-05-05 21:34:51 +0100, "Christina Websell"

On 2010-05-04 20:58:01 +0100, "Christina Websell"

wrote:

[...]

No need for sarcasm, Tina. I said it was my personal reaction and I stand
by that. If Rusty's happy, that's fine. Personally, I dislike the idea
of people picking over the bones of someone else's life but maybe I'm just
being picky, even while stating my own views.
--

I'm not being particularly sarcastic, I just don't understand your objection
to something that is common knowledge.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-05-05 22:38:21 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Sacha" wrote in message

that's fine. Personally, I dislike the idea
of people picking over the bones of someone else's life but maybe I'm
just
being picky, even while stating my own views.
--

I'm not being particularly sarcastic, I just don't understand your
objection
to something that is common knowledge.
It's not as if I was betraying a confidence that was sent to me
personally
in an email.
Tina

Of course not. And that isn't what I suggested and I hope you don't think
it was. I think/hope I know you a little better than to suppose that!
--

I was hoping that Rusty would come along to say I could eat pink purslane.
It does look like it's edible in a salad..

Purslane? George[_10_] Edible Gardening 4 28-06-2012 12:50 PM
Mizuna and Winter Purslane ajr United Kingdom 9 08-07-2010 01:29 PM
Purslane Highest plant with omega 3 Bill who putters Gardening 1 15-03-2010 02:17 AM
Purslane zxcvbob Edible Gardening 33 30-08-2007 01:53 PM
Looking for a local source for Golden Purslane (Portulaca sativa) La Vie Dansante Texas 0 04-06-2005 02:46 AM