Old 16-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Registered User

Default Am I a cauliflower??

Hello

I had some mysterious plants left over at the end of last year that had never done anything - I was fairly sure they were cauliflowers. They never came to a head but stayed resolutely alive thorughout the winter. They're now starting to flower, and I wondered if they are indeed cauliflowers? It's the first time I've tried to grow them, but I'm guessing that they never formed a head and have simply flowered now that it's spring? Assuming I'll not get any veg out of them now....

Any advice appreciated

Boog
Attached Thumbnails
Am I a cauliflower??-photo.jpg
Old 16-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogaloo View Post
Hello

I had some mysterious plants left over at the end of last year that had never done anything - I was fairly sure they were cauliflowers. They never came to a head but stayed resolutely alive thorughout the winter. They're now starting to flower, and I wondered if they are indeed cauliflowers? It's the first time I've tried to grow them, but I'm guessing that they never formed a head and have simply flowered now that it's spring? Assuming I'll not get any veg out of them now....

Any advice appreciated

Boog
Incidentally, I have two identical plants with this one that have yet to flower, but neither of them have developed a head either... Could it be white sprouting broccoli instead?
Old 16-05-2013, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

boogaloo wrote:
Hello

I had some mysterious plants left over at the end of last year that
had never done anything - I was fairly sure they were cauliflowers.
They never came to a head but stayed resolutely alive thorughout the
winter. They're now starting to flower, and I wondered if they are
indeed cauliflowers? It's the first time I've tried to grow them, but
I'm guessing that they never formed a head and have simply flowered
now that it's spring? Assuming I'll not get any veg out of them
now....

Any advice appreciated

Boog

Filename: photo.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15556|

Does it look like the blooming cauliflower in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJB103VDTRM

--
Natural Girl

Old 16-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Girl View Post
boogaloo wrote:
Hello

I had some mysterious plants left over at the end of last year that
had never done anything - I was fairly sure they were cauliflowers.
They never came to a head but stayed resolutely alive thorughout the
winter. They're now starting to flower, and I wondered if they are
indeed cauliflowers? It's the first time I've tried to grow them, but
I'm guessing that they never formed a head and have simply flowered
now that it's spring? Assuming I'll not get any veg out of them
now....

Any advice appreciated

Boog

Filename: photo.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15556|

Does it look like the blooming cauliflower in this video?

Flowering cauliflower in our raised organic garden bed - cauliflower flowering - YouTube

--
Natural Girl
Yes it does! It was precisely that video that caused me to make this post... Even in the depths of winter I'd kept a beady eye on these wee plantlets to see what they might be and they've never 'headed' into anything recognisable though. The two identical plants next to it in that border, planted at the same time and of the same age, show no sign of heading either. Is it possibel that because of the rubbish summer they just never quite got their act together and are now throwing up a few optimistic flowers??
Old 17-05-2013, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

boogaloo wrote:
Hello

I had some mysterious plants left over at the end of last year that
had never done anything - I was fairly sure they were cauliflowers.
They never came to a head but stayed resolutely alive thorughout the
winter. They're now starting to flower, and I wondered if they are
indeed cauliflowers? It's the first time I've tried to grow them, but
I'm guessing that they never formed a head and have simply flowered
now that it's spring? Assuming I'll not get any veg out of them
now....

Any advice appreciated

Boog

Filename: photo.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15556|

You are a brassica but probably not a cauliflower. Just which brassica is
hard to say, cabbages will send up a flower spike like that as do brocoli
and many others, including hybrids.

David

Old 17-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Registered User

Thanks for the replies... Take it that because it's flowering it's beyond producing anything edible? I did wonder if it was a cabbage. If a cabbage has flowered like that is it past the point where it would create a head?
Old 18-05-2013, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

boogaloo wrote:
Thanks for the replies... Take it that because it's flowering it's
beyond producing anything edible? I did wonder if it was a cabbage.
If a cabbage has flowered like that is it past the point where it
would create a head?

Yes, that flower stalk would emerge from the centre of the cabbage, bursting
through the head if their is one. Normally this is not seen as we cut the
heads before they get that far.