Old 06-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Newbie question about shade

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:29:05 GMT, "Timber"
wrote:

Are you home in the sunlight hours?
I have seen people plant entire gardens on wheels for just this reason.

Perhaps the trees can't go as you wish to keep them for the noise barrier
but is there any reason you can not replace them with a taller more slender
tree? More and more people are starting to plant bamboo trees (okay so it's
more like a grass that gets REAL TALL) for just this reason. They grow
thick and dense, yet straight up.

Danger, Will Robinson! Bamboo can be terribly terribly
invasive and take over huge areas seemingly in the blink of
an eye.

Some bamboos maybe not be invasive. I'm not sure whether
non-invasive bamboos exist or not.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
Old 06-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Minteeleaf

Timber wrote:

The containers on wheels?

They are easy, you simply take the raised bed principle, build supporting
decks, add commercial casters with locking wheels (I have seen these at the
local hardware store for around $5.00 each some as costly as $25. I guess
it would depend upon the weight and size of the overall bed).

Thank you for all this good info. I appreciate it!

Minteeleaf
Old 06-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Timber

Ah, there are a great deal of in-ivasive bamboo's available these days as
the public is starting to demand them more and more. The more tropical a
bamboo plant, the more invasive. However there has been a large influx of
Sub Zero Bamboo varieties and a great deal of these don't take over
everything as the tropical ones are known to do.

I am not sure the total number of varieties available out there but here in
our state (High Rockies of Utah) we have six varieties which have been
approved by the forestry division. I planted a whole row of 100' four years
ago and have had no problems what so ever with mine. They are "Black
Bamboo". Warning here, I paid an absolute fortune for them and had them
shipped in from California on a great big flat bed truck. In the winter I
have to be very careful as our temps drop to below -15° for about six weeks
so I have to place a thermo heater on and around them--which is rather a
pain but they do look good.

Timber
www.timberslodge.net
....a Step Through Time

Old 06-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Polar

wrote:

Are you home in the sunlight hours?
I have seen people plant entire gardens on wheels for just this reason.

Perhaps the trees can't go as you wish to keep them for the noise barrier
but is there any reason you can not replace them with a taller more slender
tree? More and more people are starting to plant bamboo trees (okay so it's
more like a grass that gets REAL TALL) for just this reason. They grow
thick and dense, yet straight up.

Danger, Will Robinson! Bamboo can be terribly terribly
invasive and take over huge areas seemingly in the blink of
an eye.

Some bamboos maybe not be invasive. I'm not sure whether
non-invasive bamboos exist or not.

No bamboo expert I, but I understand the "clumping" variety is less
invasive than the other kind.

--
Polar
Old 22-03-2003, 07:32 AM
mdk-bill

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Cindy said:

I live in an area that is loaded with shade. I live in the city on a high
traffic road. The trees can't go. The only sunny spots are in the front,
on the hill next to the road. Isn't there *any* way I can grow something?
My backyard, where I want to grow things, has only spotty sunlight that
moves throughout the day. There isn't a spot that has full sun, period.
Are there any suggestions on what I can do, outside of using a community
garden? The community garden is out.

1) Terrace the hill and plant there. Tomatoes, peppers, okra and
eggplants
can be rather ornamental. I remember a garden planted between the front
porch and the sidewalk in a tiny urban garden (the only sunny, southern
exposure).

2) Limb up and/or thin the tree canopy as much as reasonably possible.
Some edibles that can take part-shade are leeks, green onions, non-heading
greens, and even (given just a bit of light) bush beans. Currants,
gooseberries, raspberries and blackberries are fruits that can take some
shade.

3) If you are at home all day (or can return during the day), plant in
containers and move them around to the sunniest spots in the back yard.

She could also plant vining crops directly into the hill. Cucumbers, melons,
squash ... depending on the slope of the hill, probably quite a few other
plants.

Local plants are probably living in that soil already ... so veggies should
do just fine, too.

--
Do not respond to the email address above. It is a fake.

Old 27-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Registered User

Just thought you should know that this page is a googlewhack!

coelacanth eggplants