Old 17-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Salty Thumb

Default today's Victory Garden (PBS) 1/17

did anybody catch today's Victory Garden? I just missed it (just caught
the "comedy" about stealing an orange). I thought it was supposed to be
about greenhouses (the website http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/ has a
transcript on terrariums, though ... is that what aired?). I'm wondering
if anything useful was said, or if it was just a 'come buy this neat
product' segment.
'
Old 18-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Ann

Salty Thumb expounded:

did anybody catch today's Victory Garden? I just missed it (just caught
the "comedy" about stealing an orange). I thought it was supposed to be
about greenhouses (the website http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/ has a
transcript on terrariums, though ... is that what aired?). I'm wondering
if anything useful was said, or if it was just a 'come buy this neat
product' segment.
'

The first part was about restored greenhouses, kinda interesting, then
they went to Tower Hill and talked about terrariums, but not
thoroughly.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 18-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/17/04 6:24 PM, in article ,
"Ann" wrote:

Salty Thumb expounded:

did anybody catch today's Victory Garden? I just missed it (just caught
the "comedy" about stealing an orange). I thought it was supposed to be
about greenhouses (the website
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/ has a
transcript on terrariums, though ... is that what aired?). I'm wondering
if anything useful was said, or if it was just a 'come buy this neat
product' segment.
'

The first part was about restored greenhouses, kinda interesting, then
they went to Tower Hill and talked about terrariums, but not
thoroughly.

That's a repeat. I stopped watching - the guy is such a drag; that laugh is
awful!
Cheryl

Old 18-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Ann

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

That's a repeat. I stopped watching - the guy is such a drag; that laugh is
awful!

I hadn't seen it, but I know what you mean about that guy, he drives
me crazy.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 18-01-2004, 03:44 AM
Salty Thumb

Ann wrote in
:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

That's a repeat. I stopped watching - the guy is such a drag; that
laugh is awful!

I hadn't seen it, but I know what you mean about that guy, he drives
me crazy.

Thanks for the info, Ann. I don't really like either of them, Michael
Weishan (host) or the English dude (they guy that gets all the new electro
gizmos). They're like two kids in a candy store ... a little too
enthusiastic and not serious enough. And, just once I'd like to see
Weishan in the cooking segment say, "man that's worst **** I've ever
tasted" Kip Vickers seems to have the greenest thumb on the show, but he
seems a little too serious and not enthusiatic enough to get a lot of
people to watch.

Old 18-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/17/04 10:34 PM, in article ,
"Salty Thumb" wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

That's a repeat. I stopped watching - the guy is such a drag; that
laugh is awful!

I hadn't seen it, but I know what you mean about that guy, he drives
me crazy.

Thanks for the info, Ann. I don't really like either of them, Michael
Weishan (host) or the English dude (they guy that gets all the new electro
gizmos). They're like two kids in a candy store ... a little too
enthusiastic and not serious enough. And, just once I'd like to see
Weishan in the cooking segment say, "man that's worst **** I've ever
tasted" Kip Vickers seems to have the greenest thumb on the show, but he
seems a little too serious and not enthusiatic enough to get a lot of
people to watch.

Remember the hosta segment - I know him from the New England daylily group.
He said that MW is first class jerk and the crew had no clue.

I've met Kip once or twice. Nice guy, but way too serious.

I've come to miss Maid Marion's cooking segments; I like the idea of the
visiting chefs but keep MW off the set.

Cheryl

Old 19-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:08:29 GMT, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

I've come to miss Maid Marion's cooking segments;

Do you have Marian Morash's "The Victory Garden Cookbook"? It's a
wonderful reference for veg cooking ('though not vegetarian) with
lotsa color pictures and both basic hints&tips and good recipes. First
published in '82, but not out of fashion today.
Old 19-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Vox Humana

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 1/17/04 6:24 PM, in article ,
"Ann" wrote:

Salty Thumb expounded:

did anybody catch today's Victory Garden? I just missed it (just

caught
the "comedy" about stealing an orange). I thought it was supposed to

be
about greenhouses (the website
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/
has a
transcript on terrariums, though ... is that what aired?). I'm

wondering
if anything useful was said, or if it was just a 'come buy this neat
product' segment.
'

The first part was about restored greenhouses, kinda interesting, then
they went to Tower Hill and talked about terrariums, but not
thoroughly.

That's a repeat. I stopped watching - the guy is such a drag; that laugh

is
awful!

It has become a "lifestyle" show like all the fluff on HGTV.

Old 19-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/19/04 11:10 AM, in article ,
"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 1/17/04 6:24 PM, in article ,
"Ann" wrote:

Salty Thumb expounded:

[...]

But WHO's lifestyle!

Kip Anderson is ok, but has about as much personality on screen as a rock!
Cheryl

Old 19-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/19/04 11:10 AM, in article ,
"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 1/17/04 6:24 PM, in article ,

Salty Thumb expounded:

Old 19-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 1/17/04 6:24 PM, in article

,
"Ann" wrote:

Salty Thumb expounded:

[...]

It's for people who live their lives by proxy though the likes of Martha
Stewart and Emeril. The viewers don't actually sew, cook or garden, they
just like to look. So, in that respect, these shows don't have to reflect a
specific person's lifestyle nor do they have to impart facts or be accurate.
You can watch it and fantasize about how nice it would be to have tea in
your restored Victorian Lord and Bernham greenhouse. If the plants don't
grow in your zone or the recipe is faulty, it doesn't matter. It's sad but
true.

Old 19-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 1/17/04 6:24 PM, in article

,

Salty Thumb expounded:

Old 19-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Salty Thumb

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 1/17/04 10:34 PM, in article
, "Salty Thumb"
wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

[...]

What happened in the hosta segment? I think I've only seen the first six
episodes. I'm not even sure if it's the still the first season with new
host or if it's up to the second.
Old 19-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Salty Thumb

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 1/17/04 10:34 PM, in article
, "Salty Thumb"
wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

PBS's Victory Garden Bill R Gardening 53 05-10-2007 01:08 AM
Victory Garden question David Edible Gardening 11 18-09-2006 12:09 AM
How many of you watch Victory Garden? Rose Gardening 12 02-11-2003 02:42 PM
PBS "Victory Garden" Bill Bolle Edible Gardening 1 29-06-2003 03:44 AM
TV/PBS Victory Garden question Ace Edible Gardening 3 10-03-2003 08:08 PM