Old 06-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Lattes

Default its your friendly neighborhood newbie again ;)

Hey all, just had a wonderful weekend in northern ontario and have noticed
what I thought was not really a problem with my cukes had progressed.

The problem is that the leaves near the base of the plant are dying, should
they? The rest of the plant is doing very well and I have gotten a few cukes
off of it already this season (aren't veggies just a million times better
from your own garden?)

Should I cut off the leaves as they start to go?

I have also had the problem of my zucchini growing to about 3 to 4 inches
and then rotting from the end in. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Frankhartx

From: "Lattes" d2do2dmno****ingspam@hotmail

he problem is that the leaves near the base of the plant are dying, should
they? The rest of the plant is doing very well and I have gotten a few cukes
off of it already this season (aren't veggies just a million times better

Some of the older leaveas dying off is generally not a problem

I have also had the problem of my zucchini growing to about 3 to 4 inches
and then rotting from the end in. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Aborted fruit is often caused by lack of pollination--since squash bears
seperate male anf female flowers pollination by bees usually takes care of
things--no or too few bees-then you will need to help-transfdewr pollen from
male to female with a small artists brush or pick off a male and smoosh it on
the female

Old 06-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Lattés

Flower, not bee. Just wanted to clarify. Smooshing bees
can be hazardous to your health! g

Pat

DAMMIT PAT! You could have at least gotten to me earlier! Now my hands are
the size of hockey gloves

Next newbie question, should I be pruning my Cukes to get more fruit out of
them? How about Eggplant?

Old 06-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:25:53 GMT, "Lattés"
wrote:

Flower, not bee. Just wanted to clarify. Smooshing bees
can be hazardous to your health! g

Pat

DAMMIT PAT! You could have at least gotten to me earlier! Now my hands are
the size of hockey gloves

Next newbie question, should I be pruning my Cukes to get more fruit out of
them? How about Eggplant?

No. No.

Certainly not the eggplants, and I've never heard of pruning
cukes either. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm
wrong.)

Pat

Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Noydb

Lattés wrote:

Next newbie question, should I be pruning my Cukes to get more fruit out
of them? How about Eggplant?

Yes, cut them off at the point where they enter the ground.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I was just kidding! Prunest thou not thy cucumbers nor thy eggplant lest thy
face grow long when thou findest naught but vexation within thy garden yet
never a morsel for thy flesh.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)