Old 27-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Kate ......

Default Question -

Thank you. This is very interesting. kate

belly wrote:

On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:05:55 -0500 in
, "Kate ......"
graced the world with this thought:

no clubs or anything like that in our area. Nor Mi. where my sister lives and
the pickens are wonderful ( for everyone but me ) My sister, is not the least
interested in the hunt. So no help there. Thanks again, kate

I couldn't find a club in N MI, but found this, which is interesting
http://www.michiganmorels.com/

There's a club in the NW part of the state, for what it's worth.

Old 27-05-2004, 05:13 PM
simy1

"Kate ......" wrote in message ...
Can anyone tell me how to id a dead elm tree. I have heard for years,
you look for dead elm trees to find morels ( mushrooms ) in an area. Any
help will be appreciated. kate

why not just buy morel spawn from fungi.com? I had some in 1997, none
since, and this spring was absolutely perfect for morels, but I could
not find any..
Old 27-05-2004, 11:03 PM
steve

Steve wrote in message ...
steve wrote:
Must be be my lucky day then, I found some fresh morels growing in my
yard, I'm not much of an mushroom person but from what I hear it's a
very coveted mushroom. They were growing underneath spruce pine trees,
no elms in sight. I checked it out carefully to see if its the real
thing and not a poisonous false morel, and yes it seems to be the real
mcoy, So anyone here know how I should cook them, or can I eat them
raw? thanks.

Steve, you must be lucky. I'm not that much of a mushroom person
either, yet I feel a twinge of envy. I can't remember the last time
I actually ate a wild mushroom.
That answers the original question that started this thread I
believe. Also explains why you have morels with no elm trees. Humm,
I have plenty of aspens and white pines around here...

I also have alot of cedar trees and mixed spruce and white pine, last
fall I had alot of wild mushrooms coming up, some very strange ones I
couldnt identify. Puff balls are my favourite, they grow well here
also. Last year I picked one that was the size of a basketball, good
eating too, tastes similar to white mushrooms you get at the
supermarket.

That one is pretty informative too. I scroll down to the last map
and well, what do you know.... a dot in the southern Adirondacks.
Maybe I should get out there and look. Of course, the black flies
might eat me alive if I went into the woods. Black fly season
probably ends at the same time as morel season. There's probably a
million morels out there for that very reason (or not).

Steve (the other one) in the Adirondacks

Right now the mosquitoes, black flies and soon, the deerflys will chew
you up and spit you out, they are very bad here as I expect most
places in the wilds, better to stay home and buy some mushrooms from
the grocery, LOL.
Old 28-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Kate ......

Don't think I'll be doing that one. Let me hear if you do. Would be interesting to hear someone
got as many morels as they wanted. kate

Old 28-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Jim Elbrecht

On Thu, 27 May 2004 18:39:14 -0500, "Kate ......"
wrote:

I have hear others say they liked the puff balls. How do you prepare them? Kate

Slice 1/4" thick. Fry in butter until golden brown. Pig out.

They can also be used as a substitute for mushrooms in a recipe.

They should be pure white throughout. If there is the slightest bit
of yellow/brown when sliced through the middle-- discard.

Jim
Old 28-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Kate ......

Thank you for the information. Good to know. I have seen these but never ate them.
Nor known anyone who did. Only, about someone who knew someone , who did. kate

Old 28-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Jim Elbrecht

"Kate ......" wrote:

Thank you for the information. Good to know. I have seen these but never ate them.
Nor known anyone who did. Only, about someone who knew someone , who did. kate

It's a good idea to pick up a couple mushrooming books & heed all the
warnings. Check with a local authority for a recommendation.

*In my area* all puffballs are edible which makes them a favorite for
beginners.

But there are a couple mushrooms that are not edible that look like
small puffballs until sliced in half so you can see the stem.
[puffballs have no stems] Use caution.

Jim

Old 29-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:34:41 GMT, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

"Kate ......" wrote:

Thank you for the information. Good to know. I have seen these but never ate them.
Nor known anyone who did. Only, about someone who knew someone , who did. kate

It's a good idea to pick up a couple mushrooming books & heed all the
warnings. Check with a local authority for a recommendation.

"Gravity isn't just a good idea; it's the law!" Picking and eating
wild mushrooms without being absolutely sure of identification is
dangerous. And hearing from someone who knew someone who... is one of
the ways people end up in the emergency room with some very nasty
symptoms. Jim's advice is good. I only quarrel with its lack of
emphasis.

Old 30-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Kate ......

You are absolutely correct there, my friend. I would most differently be sure before
eating. And the education is very wise. I do thank you for your concern and help. Kate

Old 31-05-2004, 04:08 AM
Janice

On Fri, 28 May 2004 09:27:10 -0500, "Kate ......"
wrote:

Gotcha ,Thanks again. kate

There are sometimes classes in identifying a few known edible
mushrooms that grow in the area you live in. Community Schools, or
even universities offerer classes in mushrooms.. although those may go
further than you might want to know about. However, you can audit.

Just a thought ;-) But if you don't know whether a mushroom/fungi is
safe..or not. .it's NOT, you can have a meal on a death angels, and
think you're fine, until your liver is irreparably damaged some days
later. Too late then! Seeing animals eat them, isn't proof of
edibility either. If you want help in identifying something make sure
you do not cut it and then take it to someone to tell you if it's
edible or not, you have to go underground and get the whole fungi,
clear down to the "root" as it's how the remnants of the membrane that
once covered the mushroom as it was emerging, tear and where and how
they remain attached is much of how they are identified as anything
else. Hope that makes sense.

Janice

Old 31-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Kate ......

I don't know of any such classes, though I am not interested in that anyway. I don't have
the time for one big reason. Also, I am very aware of the dangers of and the many scary
stories over the years of people who weren't cautious and did take the chance on trying
their luck eating unknown mushrooms. Sure not something I care to do. My stomach is not
happy with me when I am foolish enough as to eat things I know are questionable. Even if
it doesn't send me to the hospital or kill me. Thanks so much to all of you good people
for the help . I hope my luck will be better next year when I hope to try my luck again
at finding those wonderful morels. I have some great tips now to help me locate trees and
downed dead trees that are good hunting places. Again , you have been most helpful. And
so nice to take the time to help. ..... kate