Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Bill

Default Dere fellow ronket scientists

I have a GOB of garlic in my garden that is just starting to make the curly
little thingy at the top.

WAAAAY too much for eating fresh.

Does anyone know how to dry them into garlic flakes / make garlic powder? I
estimate that I have well over 100 pounds of garlic out there and I can't
possibly replant it all (no space) or eat it all (I work around other
humans) or even sell it all (I refuse to let gourment garlic go for Calif.
white prices ... and my neighbors probably aren't willing to pay gourmet
prices for organic, boutique, garlic) before it starts to re-sprout or
otherwise go to waste.

I have a hunch that making flakes involves peeling and dicing fresh garlic
and then drying it on pastry parchment and that powder simply means passing
the dried flakes through the blender. But I want to hear from those who
have done this and reap the benefit of their experience if I can.

Does anyone know if there is a market for gourmet garlic prepared this way?

Sign me,
"Too much garlic and trying to make a buck here Bill"

Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
simy1

Bill wrote in message ...
I have a GOB of garlic in my garden that is just starting to make the curly
little thingy at the top.

for personal consumption, you can freeze the scapes and eat them
throughout the year.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Bill

simy1 wrote:

Bill wrote in message
I have a GOB of garlic in my garden that is just starting to make the
curly little thingy at the top.

for personal consumption, you can freeze the scapes and eat them
throughout the year.

Thanks ... that's useful information for a guy who has never eaten them
before and now is facing the probability of having a LOT of them to
eat! :-)

I just wish all my problems were so simple!

Now ... does anyone have a clue to drying and powdering this stuff?

Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
aj

Hello
I bought some garlic from a Greek couple. I suppose I would call them
pickled (the garlic, not the Greek couple). The cloves were left
whole, uncooked, and I think they were in a mixture of vinegar, lemon
juice and a few chillies. They keep for ages, and I reckon they taste
better than the dried garlic.

They had them in a big tub, and spooned out what I wanted, but you
could put them into jars. Might sell better than powder. They're
good whole, with salad, hummus etc. I've also sliced them for pasta
sauce. Lovely.

(I've also had pickled, smoked garlic. That was great, but of course,
you would need access to a smoker.)

Just an Idea
AJ, England.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Dan Mazerolle

I dried several pounds last year. Cut the cloves 1/4" thick and the peels
will fall off. Place them in a dehydrator until dry (12-18 hrs). Let them
cool and pulverize in a blender.

The method produces a fine powder which is not bad in stews and sauces but I
much prefer it fresh. I think that I will try pickling any excess this year.

Old 08-06-2004, 04:28 PM
simy1

Bill wrote in message .. .
simy1 wrote:

Bill wrote in message
I have a GOB of garlic in my garden that is just starting to make the
curly little thingy at the top.

for personal consumption, you can freeze the scapes and eat them
throughout the year.

Thanks ... that's useful information for a guy who has never eaten them
before and now is facing the probability of having a LOT of them to
eat! :-)

You are welcome. I did understand you have more than you can possibly
eat in one year, but they are good so why waste them. And dried is
never as good as fresh-frozen, specially for scapes. They are best
minced in the blender with olive oil and used instead of butter on
potatoes, bt they will go well (also minced) in most stews, soups, or
meat marinades. They are good on good bread and goat cheese, they are
good in summer tomato chowders, they are good for sauteeing fish, they
are good for sauteeing mushrooms... need I continue?
Old 08-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Ray Drouillard

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Eat 'em all! It'll keep the mosquitoes off of you.

Anyhow, you don't have to do anything special to preserve them. They'll
keep much the same way onions keep. If you have a root cellar, you
should be able to keep them until spring -- after which they will start
to grow.

Ray