Old 10-06-2004, 04:06 PM
JRYezierski

Default Bok Choy problem

My bok-choy is bolting.
We have not had warm/hot weather here in western Mass,zone5,yet for more
than a day or two.
Why does my bok-choy bolt on me.I have had this problem everytime I plant
it.It gets to about 8'tall than it starts to bolt/flower.
It gets all but the first four hours of sun in a day.
Is it planted in too sunny of a place?
Is the soil too rich?
Is the ph wrong?
Any one know why this is happening to me?
Hope someone can help me out.
Thanks
Jerome

Old 10-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Gary Woods

"JRYezierski" wrote:

Why does my bok-choy bolt on me.I have had this problem everytime I plant
it.It gets to about 8'tall than it starts to bolt/flower.

Plant it in late summer... most varieties will bolt if spring planted;
certainly the one I grow from seed given me by a Chinese lady does. I grow
some for seed in the spring. My "eating" planting goes in early-late
August; it's _very_ frost hardy.

Interestingly enough, stray seed from last year's seed crop gets an early
enough start that I get a decent sized head before it bolts in early
summer. I may just plant some on the snow as works with lettuce...

Old 10-06-2004, 09:04 PM
simy1

"JRYezierski" wrote in message ...
My bok-choy is bolting.
We have not had warm/hot weather here in western Mass,zone5,yet for more
than a day or two.
Why does my bok-choy bolt on me.I have had this problem everytime I plant
it.It gets to about 8'tall than it starts to bolt/flower.
It gets all but the first four hours of sun in a day.
Is it planted in too sunny of a place?
Is the soil too rich?
Is the ph wrong?
Any one know why this is happening to me?
Hope someone can help me out.
Thanks
Jerome

Here is your problem. You are planting it in spring. Plant it in
August and it won't bolt. Certain greens are natural for the fall
garden. Besides bok choi, tatsoi and arugula also behave much better
in the fall. In fact, the only two spring greens that are foolproof
are lettuce and chard.