Old 31-05-2014, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Bok choy seeding

My bok choy has bolted and is now forming seed pods . Anybody have
experience with when to harvest them ? Any dishes that use the pods/seeds ?
--
Snag

Old 31-05-2014, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
My bok choy has bolted and is now forming seed pods . Anybody have
experience with when to harvest them ? Any dishes that use the
pods/seeds ?

The pods will go from moist and green to dry and brown. When they start to
split or you can rub them into seeds and chaff between your hands the seeds
are ready to save. I have no knowledge of them being used for food or
seasoning only to grow more plants. They would not be toxic so you can
experiment. Maybe grind them up for mustard(ish) or sprinkle on to bread
before baking.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs said:
My bok choy has bolted and is now forming seed pods . Anybody have
experience with when to harvest them ? Any dishes that use the
pods/seeds ?

You could probably pick them when small and use them the same way
that radish pods are used, usually to make pickles but also as an ingredient
in stir-fries.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 09-06-2014, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

My bok choy has bolted and is now forming seed pods . Anybody have
experience with when to harvest them ? Any dishes that use the
pods/seeds ?

Harvest them like any other brassica: When pods are dry, brown and
ready to split. Wife and I find mustard greens and bok choy flower
buds, flower stalks, and just-opening flowers to be good eating stir
fried (peanut oil, garlic) or as ingredients (as in a meat roll, or in
ravioli) but bland as a standalone veggie side dish.

I'm going to go ahead and let these dry , use them for seed for a fall
planting . One of my goals here is to have seed that is fully acclimatized
to this area . Part of my acorn squash is grown from last year's seeds .
There are several cukes out there from last year's seed , but they're all
volunteers , and a couple of radishes from where last year's seeded .

--
Snag

Kale vs Bok Choy Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 14 08-02-2014 06:19 PM
Baby Bok Choy [email protected] Gardening 5 20-02-2009 03:28 PM
Bolting broccoli and bok choy Persephone Gardening 7 09-04-2007 11:40 PM
bok choy Nancy Australia 12 05-07-2006 09:09 AM
Bok Choy problem JRYezierski Edible Gardening 2 10-06-2004 09:04 PM