Old 01-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Mary McHugh

Default Tomato varieties.

Glenna Rose wrote:
were more room.g If you have not tried Sun Gold, be sure to try it, a
wonderful orange very sweet tomato. Because it grows so large and is so

Ooooooo... I've just planted this for the first time and I've a few that
are almost ready. I can't wait to try it. My youngest (2.5yo) loves
tomatoes so she'll be right in line behind me.

Mary

Old 02-08-2004, 04:03 AM
Pen

I forgot to mention 'Matt's Wild Cherry' is a good one too.

Conceal them? The groundkeepers should thank you. Currant tomatoes
are beautiful! Besides, are also big sprawlers.

Thanks... I'm always looking for something new to try.
The source I've been buying my seeds from offers a red currant variety,
however it notes that it crosses easily with other plants, so I'd have to
segregate this one from the rest.

Maybe I'll plant a couple at work. The property is huge, with much wooded
and field area, and I should be able to conceal a few plants quite easily.

Gary

Old 02-08-2004, 05:50 PM
STEPHEN PEEK

Yellow Brandywine is my favorite yellow & Cherokee Purple is a must try.
Steve
"Dr." wrote in message
Greetings,

Not all my varieties are even ripe... yet still I'm planning what to grow
next year.

What are your favorite early varieties? I grew a variety named 'Glacier'
this year. Nice looking tomatoes, but no flavor whatsoever.

Next year I'd like to try a yellow variety, and a black/purple variety.

Any
suggestions?

Suggestions for large, bold flavored heirlooms are always appreciated.

Here's a list of what I'm growing this year:

1884 - 2nd year growing this one. Large, and great flavor. This one has
earned a lifetime residency in my garden.

Rose De Berne - One ripe so far. Great flavor.
Russian Rose
Sweet Millions - 2nd year. Produces a boatload, and very sweet.
Green Zebra - 2nd year. Makes a mean salsa.
Aussie - None ripe yet... but they're HUGE.

Hungarian-Italian Paste - Picked the first ones today. Good flavor.
Indeterminate... makes a good substitution for Roma, which I don't much

care
for because the fruit seem to fall off the vine very easily, and it's
sometimes hard planting them where they won't get shaded by the big
indeterminates.

Brandywine - 'Nuff said.
Brandywine Red, Landis Valley Strain - See above.
Costoluto Fiorentino - Remarkable flavor.
Drubza
German Giant - Not so giant, as of now... Though it bears some nice size
fruit.
Glacier - Bland.
Pantano Romanesco
Violacium Krypni-Rozo - Very good flavor.

This is my 3rd year gardening, and my 2nd year starting my plants from

seed.

Ah... another question. I read that you should sow tomato seeds 6-8 weeks
early when starting them indoors. At the 6th week, the plants were

gigantic,
and it was still too cold to plant. They weren't leggy.. just HUGE, with

the
roots growing through the sides of the 3" diameter peat pots.

I think I may know what I did wrong. I started them in my basement, which

is
kinda cool.. as basements tend to be. I left them on the heat mat the

entire
time. I'm thinking those seedlings may have grooved a little too much on

all
that heat. The light was always withing a couple inches of the top of the
seedlings. They just got happy.

Next year, should I remove the heat mat right after they germinate?

Thankya,
Gary
NorthWest Ohio

Old 03-08-2004, 05:11 AM
Pen

Yikes! I hate thrips! I got 'Hawaiian' through a seed exchange, I
haven't seen it offered since. They are red and an heirloom, I don't
know if the red ones available to you might be the same thing. If
only there were white, black or a tangy green currants. Anyhow, I
just did a search and came up with a couple of sources:

http://www.groworganic.com/cgy_449.html
http://www.earthfuture.com/gardenpath/Tomato_Party.htm

Penelope Periwinkle wrote in message . ..

Oh! Where did you get it? I *love* current tomaotes, but I've
never seen anything but generic gold or red.

The gold current tomato is one of the few survivors of The War of
the spit! Thrips this year.

Penelope

Old 03-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Laura J

"Dr." wrote in message

I think Sweet Millions is a good variety. I haven't had Sweet 100, though
they're supposed to taste about the same. Millions is supposed to have
better disease resistance and more resistance to cracking than the 100. I
don't have much problem with cracking on my Millions planted in the

ground.
I put one in a container last year and had cracking on that plant though.

I tried a Sweet Millions for the first time this year, in a large container.
I don't have any cracking but the leaves are beginning to turn yellow. I
don't know much about tomato disease--could it be some kind of blight?
There is plenty of fruit and it tastes great. I planted tomatoes in the
same container the past two years and only mixed in some compost this year
so I imagine it's time to completely wash it out and replace the soil for
next year.

Here's a picture of the plant though I'm a little embarrassed to post it
because they look so sad!
http://tinyurl.com/4xvcy

LauraJ

Old 06-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Dr.

"STEPHEN PEEK" wrote in message
ink.net...
Yellow Brandywine is my favorite yellow & Cherokee Purple is a must try.
Steve

Thanks, Steve.

Both of those are added to my list. Yup. Definitely need to cut up more sod.

Gary

Old 06-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Dr.

"jim book" wrote in message
three that i plant every year:
amish paste- heirloom, large paste, extra tasty
sweet cherry 100-burpee.. just like the name says
chuck's roma-heirloom large, meaty paste...for sauce
hth good luck, jim book

Thanks for those suggestions, Jim.

They're added to the list. There have been so many great suggestions.. I
hope I have the room to try them all.

Gary

Old 06-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Dr.

"Laura J" wrote in message

"Dr." wrote in message

[...]

I had the same problem with the yellow leaves on my Sweet Million that I
potted last year. As far as what actually causes it... I really don't know.
Last year I also had one in the ground, and it did incredible, as is the one
I planted in the ground this year. as of now, it's a little over 6'.

I've pretty much given up on potted tomato plants. I even had some kind of
'patio' tomato variety last year, that didn't fare well either. Foliage was
thin, and yellowed. Fruit were sunscalded, and had a couple instances of
blossom-end rot. The only thing I can think of would be improper watering,
in my case.

Your Sweet Million is doing considerably better than the one I potted last
year.

Gary