Old 11-08-2004, 06:32 PM
nutNhoney

Default Raised bed ?

Many sites indicate to not grow brussel sprouts where cabbage or
broccoli grew the year before. The same advice is given for other
vegetables. My current raised beds consist of sandy loam and compost
about 1/2 and 1/2 and a small amount of vermiculite. Since I'm using
raised beds and will be fortifying the soil at the end of the season
with compost, manure, sand, and vermiculite, does this advice apply?
Old 11-08-2004, 09:11 PM
DigitalVinyl

nutNhoney wrote:

Many sites indicate to not grow brussel sprouts where cabbage or
broccoli grew the year before. The same advice is given for other
vegetables. My current raised beds consist of sandy loam and compost
about 1/2 and 1/2 and a small amount of vermiculite. Since I'm using
raised beds and will be fortifying the soil at the end of the season
with compost, manure, sand, and vermiculite, does this advice apply?

I don't know specifically about brussel sprouts but the reason behind
any advice about growing a species in the same spot year after year
has to do with the buildup of organism or bacteria in the soil. Unless
you are trucking the soil away and replacing bacteria will remain. If
you amend it, bacteria will remain.

This is a tough issue for me cause I don't have much space so rotating
plants can be difficult. Every spot I have has had nightshade
variants(tomatoes, peppers or eggplant). SO rotating meaning opening
another plot. I also mixed tomato/pepper with broccoli/cauli which was
said to be a poor pairing because they need different amendments and
soil ph.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

Old 12-08-2004, 12:07 AM
TQ

"nutNhoney" wrote in message
| Many sites indicate to not grow brussel sprouts where cabbage or
| broccoli grew the year before. The same advice is given for other
| vegetables. My current raised beds consist of sandy loam and compost
| about 1/2 and 1/2 and a small amount of vermiculite. Since I'm using
| raised beds and will be fortifying the soil at the end of the season
| with compost, manure, sand, and vermiculite, does this advice apply?

Rotating crops from year to year is a good idea b/c it keeps the soil from
being depleted and inhibits pest populations from gaining a toe hold. In
small gardens, that/s sometimes not practical and/or possible. As long as
you keep amending/enriching the soil and keep after the bugs, you shouldn/t
have any problems.

--
TQ

Old 12-08-2004, 04:36 AM
Angela Dougherty

In article ,
nutNhoney wrote:

Many sites indicate to not grow brussel sprouts where cabbage or
broccoli grew the year before. The same advice is given for other
vegetables. My current raised beds consist of sandy loam and compost
about 1/2 and 1/2 and a small amount of vermiculite. Since I'm using
raised beds and will be fortifying the soil at the end of the season
with compost, manure, sand, and vermiculite, does this advice apply?

Plants that come from the same families share the same susceptibility to
diseases. Common families include the cruciform vegetables (cabbage,
collards, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, mustard and others),
the nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant) and
alliums (onions, garlic, chives, shallots). The most insidious diseases
are fungal. Once fungus spores are in the soil they are very difficult,
if not impossible, to eradicate, even with amendments. For that reason,
it is recommended that plants from the same family are not planted in
the same place more than two years in a row.

You might get lucky and never have an infection. This is unlikely. It
is better to keep track of what and where you plant. Rotating crops
isn't just an old wives' tale. It is based on experience. Good luck,
and may your plants be disease free!

Angela