Old 16-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Bill Litchfield

Default Ripen up...damnit!

Out here in the wilds of Washington State in zone 6, I have tons of
tomatoes. About 98% of them are as green as an Irish Shamrock. Last year I
had lots of ripe tomatoes by mid - July. Course, it has been ungodly hot out
here this Summer. Currently at 100 degrees right now. Does that affect the
ripening process? Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 16-08-2004, 12:42 AM
zxcvbob

Bill Litchfield wrote:
Out here in the wilds of Washington State in zone 6, I have tons of
tomatoes. About 98% of them are as green as an Irish Shamrock. Last year I
had lots of ripe tomatoes by mid - July. Course, it has been ungodly hot out
here this Summer. Currently at 100 degrees right now. Does that affect the
ripening process? Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Thanks,
Bill

I just picked my first almost-ripe tomatoes today. They weren't really
quite red, but they smelled ripe and I didn't want the squirrels to get
them. These were "Stupice", which shoulda beed getting ripe a month ago.

The problem here (I think) is the unusually cold nights we've had all
summer long. Hot weather might prevent the flowers from pollinating,
but should not prevent ripening.

Bob

Old 16-08-2004, 01:38 AM
Craig Watts

Out here in the wilds of Washington State in zone 6, I have tons of
tomatoes. About 98% of them are as green as an Irish Shamrock. Last year I
had lots of ripe tomatoes by mid - July. Course, it has been ungodly hot out
here this Summer. Currently at 100 degrees right now. Does that affect the
ripening process? Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Thanks,
Bill

I heard a folklore story years ago about a gardener putting a shovel
into one side of the roots of half his plants to get them rippened.
Does that apply here? I don't know.

Good luck.

Old 16-08-2004, 01:43 AM
Ray Drouillard

"Craig Watts" wrote in message

Out here in the wilds of Washington State in zone 6, I have tons of
tomatoes. About 98% of them are as green as an Irish Shamrock. Last

year I
had lots of ripe tomatoes by mid - July. Course, it has been ungodly

hot out
here this Summer. Currently at 100 degrees right now. Does that

affect the
ripening process? Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Thanks,
Bill

I heard a folklore story years ago about a gardener putting a shovel
into one side of the roots of half his plants to get them rippened.
Does that apply here? I don't know.

Good luck.

If you have a bunch of plants, you can always do two or three of them as
a controlled experiment.

Ray

Old 16-08-2004, 02:21 AM
TQ

"Craig Watts" wrote in message

| Out here in the wilds of Washington State in zone 6, I have tons of
| tomatoes. About 98% of them are as green as an Irish Shamrock. Last year
| had lots of ripe tomatoes by mid - July. Course, it has been ungodly hot
out
| here this Summer. Currently at 100 degrees right now. Does that affect
the
| ripening process? Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?
|
| Thanks,
| Bill
|
| I heard a folklore story years ago about a gardener putting a shovel
| into one side of the roots of half his plants to get them rippened.
| Does that apply here? I don't know.
|
| Good luck.

"I find the biggest mistake that home gardeners make is to over water and
over feed tomatoes, which results in lush foliage growth, cool and moist
soil, and just a few, slow ripening tomatoes."

Source...
http://www.humeseeds.com/sumtom.htm

(Vegetable expert Jon Traunfeld of the University of Maryland Cooperative
Extension Service) -- "...a cool, rainy spring and now hot, dry periods --
might be slowing things a bit.

"If they are slow, it could be attributed to a crazy spring," he says. "When
you put tomatoes in cool soil, roots don't get established quickly and the
little microorganisms are too cold to work in the organic matter and feed
the plant."

[...]

When fruits were forming late spring, the temperature dropped to 50 degrees
or less many nights."

Source...
http://www.bayweekly.com/year98/dock6_29.html

Any help?

--

TQ

Old 16-08-2004, 02:21 AM
TQ

Old 16-08-2004, 02:21 AM
TQ

Old 16-08-2004, 05:03 AM
Bill Litchfield

"TQ" wrote in message

"Craig Watts" wrote in message

| Out here in the wilds of Washington State in zone 6, I have tons of
| tomatoes. About 98% of them are as green as an Irish Shamrock. Last

year
| had lots of ripe tomatoes by mid - July. Course, it has been ungodly

hot
out
| here this Summer. Currently at 100 degrees right now. Does that affect
the
| ripening process? Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?
|
| Thanks,
| Bill
|
| I heard a folklore story years ago about a gardener putting a shovel
| into one side of the roots of half his plants to get them rippened.
| Does that apply here? I don't know.
|
| Good luck.

"I find the biggest mistake that home gardeners make is to over water and
over feed tomatoes, which results in lush foliage growth, cool and moist
soil, and just a few, slow ripening tomatoes."

Source...
http://www.humeseeds.com/sumtom.htm

(Vegetable expert Jon Traunfeld of the University of Maryland Cooperative
Extension Service) -- "...a cool, rainy spring and now hot, dry periods --
might be slowing things a bit.

"If they are slow, it could be attributed to a crazy spring," he says.

"When
you put tomatoes in cool soil, roots don't get established quickly and the
little microorganisms are too cold to work in the organic matter and feed
the plant."

[...]

When fruits were forming late spring, the temperature dropped to 50

degrees
or less many nights."

Source...
http://www.bayweekly.com/year98/dock6_29.html

Any help?

--

TQ

Thanks for your help and the links. Looks like I've been doing a couple of
things wrong, and will do some corrections. At least I do have a ton of
tomatoes...fried green tomatoes, anyone?!

Thanks again,
Bill

Old 16-08-2004, 07:35 AM
Puckdropper

Thanks for your help and the links. Looks like I've been doing a

couple of
things wrong, and will do some corrections. At least I do have a ton of
tomatoes...fried green tomatoes, anyone?!

Thanks again,
Bill

My Romas are turning quite well... I pull in a bowl full every few
days. The Celebrity type we have are just barely starting to turn... So
far, we've eaten two. There's two more that are going to be ready soon.
A little more patience, and you won't have to have fried green
tomatoes (if you don't want to ;-))

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.