Old 14-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Roger Zoul

FDR wrote:
|| "marengo" wrote in message
||| Bill, do you realize how hysterically funny your post is?!
||| Geez, I've lost 55 pounds of water so far! LMAO!
||| b.. Weight loss may also occur through caloric
||| Yup, bacon,eggs, cheese, steaks, and vegetables are so much more
||| unpalatable
|| Yeah, but geez, how much bacon and eggs and steak can you eat? At
|| least throw some fish and chicken in there. I have red meat once a
|| week and that's plenty fine.

I rarely eat bacon and steak and certainly eat less red meat than you and
I've been LCing for 3 years.

||| that dry toast and rice cakes!
||| *wiping eyes* Stop! My sides hurt too much from laughing!
|| Funny, but there are plenty of people from around the world that eat
|| diets high in carbohydrates that are not fat and have high life
|| expectancies. It's not the carbs killing you, it's the amount of
|| calories you eat. Eat less and you lose weight. Simple equation.

That is exactly what LC allows most people to do, eat less and lose weight.
Many people who eat diets high in carbs have BG swings that stimulate
appetite. Many of those people are very overweight and will stay that way
if the continue on a high carb diet.

Simple equations are all that folks with simple minds can handle. The real
world is often not so simple.

Old 14-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Jennifer S.

Blah,Blah,Blah,
You don't get it at all. It is the release of insulin that makes us fat. If
the insulin release is not there or controlled by a low carb diet then you
will not store the fat you take in.
Simple as that..
Jennifer S.
206/159/135

Old 14-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Glenna Rose

Sidebar: My niece started a low carb diet early this year and coupled it
with stopping smoking . . . no one can tell me that decision can be a bad
one!

writes:

There is plenty of research to back up my claim, problem is that fat
people
won't believe it. Being fat is being lazy and being lazy means that you
are
looking for a panacea.

While that might be true with a few people, it is certainly not true of
everyone. I know of many "fat" people who are anything but lazy.
Unfortunately, our society often equates heavy with fat and the two are
not the same thing at all.

I need to only look at my own grandmother who for years hovered around 160
pounds, at 5'4" . . . anyone who would say she was lazy is a fool. She
worked in the fields along side my grandfather, maintained a huge garden,
keep beautiful flowers, sewed, crocheted, was a sports advocate, etc.,
hardly a person who even the most critical person would call lazy or
looking for a panacea. Yet, she was not able to lose weight though her
diet was not excessive in any area . . . it was simply her makeup. Pure
and simple, that weight was where her body wanted to be, regardless of
what she did. It happens.

For the record, her doctor was not the least bit concerned about her
weight for she was healthy. Now before the critical among us jump on the
bandwagon and discuss health problems related to being overweight . . .
she celebrated her 95th birthday in August and is still as healthy as one
can expect someone who has lived 95 years to be and, until two years ago,
fully maintained a household!

The issue with health is not the amount of weight but rather whether it is
healthy weight. A "normal" weight person can be very unhealthy while
looking good to others.

If a person is physically active and has good muscle tone, which means
exercises either by design or by life style regularly, he/she usually
don't need special diets regardless of his/her weight. Apart from those
folks who have organic issues (thyroid, genetic, etc.), the truth of the
entire weight issue is how motivated the person is to lose weight. A
person can lose weight and become healthier keeping exactly the same diet.
Yes, he/she can. The first thing is to have the proper mind set. The
next thing is to drink plenty of just plain water . . . you notice that
diets mention water intake, there's a reason for that. Our bodies need
that minimum of two quarts of water every day to metabolize properly. The
next thing is exercise, not just once a day but throughout the day, the
point being of getting the metabolism up early in the day and keeping it
up throughout the day. Going to a gym and working out at 7 a.m. does only
minimal good if the person goes home and takes a nap and is physically
quiet the remainder of the day. Drinking water so the body can operate at
proper metabolism, keeping physically active throughout the day to keep
the metabolism up, and then following it with sensible eating will do the
job for any person who wants to lose (and does not have organic issues as
mentioned above). The third thing is, of course, the sensible eating.
Keep away from the things that we know are not good for our bodies such as
excessive sugars, fatty foods (and I mean *fatty* not just the type of
food, chicken can have as much fat as a piece of marbled beef!).

It is a fact that *if* a person eats exactly the same thing in the same
amounts and adds the water intake and exercise, that person *will* lose
weight/tone and be healthier. It happens, naturally.

While I'm not a L.C. advocate, the premise behind it has good points.
Staying away from excessive refined flour products (donuts, cookies,
rolls, etc.) is not a bad thing . . . there are a lot of calories in that
stuff and little food value. The important thing is that it has people
thinking about what is going into their bodies.

If you really are concerned about your health and your weight, make
everything you put in your mouth beneficial to your body; don't put it
there only because it tastes good. If those who want to lose weight think
of food like money and there is only a limited amount to intake like
spending, they will begin to be more health conscious and are more likely
to make life-style changes that will improve their health. It is the
*mind-set* more than the *diet* that does the trick.

Whether I agree with the current low-carb fad (and it is a fad and will
fade as many others have), it is encouraging people to think about what
they eat. Any time a person thinks about what they eat is one step closer
to better health. Thinking, after all, is the first step to doing.

As for those who say it is alone what you put in your mouth that
determines your weight, I say they are full of it. After my son died, I
averaged less than 500 calories a day for nearly a year and lost not a
single ounce! On the other side, when my children were young and I was
very, very active with three healthy little boys to keep up with, I gained
not an ounce, staying within 3 pounds of 105 for years, even though I ate
more than most men working outdoors! (I'm 5'6") There are many factors
that enter into weight and whether an individual will gain or lose, or
just maintain.

My point is that regardless of what you eat, make it all good substantial
(meaning with health benefits) food, drink a minimum of two quarts of
water every day, keep physically active (take the stairs, not the
elevator, walk not drive to the corner market, etc.) by looking at your
life and seeing where you can add more physical movement.

Insulting the ideas of others as to what type of diet to utilize to lose
weight is pointless and only demonstrates ignorance as well as a lack of
common consideration. Personally, I would prefer to hear all arguments
(meaning *debate* not attacking) about the diets because somewhere there
is something of benefit to me.

Glenna

Old 14-09-2004, 06:24 PM
DigitalVinyl

Ignoramus2437 wrote:

I am on a low carb high fat "paleo diet". In the front yard, we have a
concrete retaining wall that is a boundary of our land. Beyond the
retaining wall, 3 feet lower, is a public sidewalk. I rented a monster
tiller recently, and tilled a 24" strip of land immediately adjacent
to the retaining wall. (did a lot of other tilling to plant a lawn
elsewhere).

My desire is to plant some pretty, high fat, low carb, edible plants
that are not grains.

I live in Zone 5 (N Illinois).

One plant that I can think of is sunflowers. Maybe I will throw some
corn into it, for looks and for other members of my family, but I am
looking for other suggestions.

Thanks!

Green beans, peppers, lettuces, zucchini (big plants), spaghetti
squash (train it and trim it back it can send out 12 foot vines
without stopping) or other squash, eggplant(not sure if you get enough
heat in zone 5). Broccoli and to a lesser extent cauliflower(only
develops one head then stops). I did kerby cucumbers and made my own
pickle varieties. COrn takes a lot of space and my second batch of the
season was eaten by bugs and a near total failure.

I can't imagine not growing tomatoes! I went on maintenance for the
summer/fall harvest so I could enjoy anything I wanted from the
garden. After all it may be carbs but a lot healthier than say...
sugar cookies. Has worked well since I don't hesitate to eat
grape-sized tomatoes from the vine in the garden or slice-&-salt
tomatoes in the kitchen as an afternoon snack. I tried canteloupe and
watermelon this year but I messed them up with spacing and I got two
3" canteloupes. :-( Next year I will do better.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

Old 14-09-2004, 06:27 PM
DigitalVinyl

Bill you're clueless. You know nothing about Low-carb diets. You just
said theat every doctor in the united states advises every diabetic to
use a scam of a diet. Diabetics are low-carbers. Low carbing is the
control of insulin.

"Bill" wrote:

"Ignoramus2437" wrote in message
I am on a low carb high fat "paleo diet". In the front yard, we have a
concrete retaining wall that is a boundary of our land. Beyond the
retaining wall, 3 feet lower, is a public sidewalk. I rented a monster
tiller recently, and tilled a 24" strip of land immediately adjacent
to the retaining wall. (did a lot of other tilling to plant a lawn
elsewhere).

My desire is to plant some pretty, high fat, low carb, edible plants
that are not grains.

That's a foolish diet, you may lose weight for a while, but you may also die
from clogged arteries, cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc., before the next
year is up.

Low carb diet is nothing but a scam.

Bill

Old 14-09-2004, 07:23 PM
FDR

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
FDR wrote:
||| Side comment #1: Why do you assume that low-carbers eat a lot of
||| meat?
||| Side comment #2: what makes you think that your friend got kidney
||| stones and ended up not o much later with inoperable cancer as a
||| result of low carb?
||| Side comment #3: if you're soured on the concept, it because you're
||| a simpleton.
|| Side comment to #3. Name calling won't help you change someone's
|| view.

Side comment to side comment to #3. I'm not interested in changing

someone
view. That almost never happens on usenet.

Then why even bother?

Old 14-09-2004, 07:23 PM
FDR

Old 14-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Roger Zoul

FDR wrote:
||| Side comment to side comment to #3. I'm not interested in changing
||| someone view. That almost never happens on usenet.
|| Then why even bother?

It's about stamping out misinformation for others how may benefit from
accurate knowledge about low-carb diets. Many many people here have
benefited greatly from LC diets....

Old 14-09-2004, 09:25 PM
simy1

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message ...
Ig -

Check out this site for some ideas: http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/

I was thinking olive, but that might not work in zone 5.

so you are calling Pat a simpleton, and then you suggest olives for
Zone 5? with this kind of advice, the guy will go on a starvation diet
for sure.

Old 14-09-2004, 09:25 PM
simy1

Old 14-09-2004, 09:25 PM
simy1

Old 14-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Roger Zoul

simy1 wrote:
|| "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
||| Ig -
||| Check out this site for some ideas:
||| http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/
||| I was thinking olive, but that might not work in zone 5.
|| so you are calling Pat a simpleton, and then you suggest olives for
|| Zone 5? with this kind of advice, the guy will go on a starvation
|| diet
|| for sure.

Perhaps you can't read...

Old 14-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Roger Zoul

simy1 wrote:
|| "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
||| Ig -
||| Check out this site for some ideas:
||| http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/
||| I was thinking olive, but that might not work in zone 5.
|| so you are calling Pat a simpleton, and then you suggest olives for
|| Zone 5? with this kind of advice, the guy will go on a starvation
|| diet
|| for sure.

Perhaps you can't read...

Old 14-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Bill

"Ignoramus13229" wrote in message
In article , Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Bill said:

"Ignoramus2437" wrote in message
I am on a low carb high fat "paleo diet". In the front yard, we have a
concrete retaining wall that is a boundary of our land. Beyond the
retaining wall, 3 feet lower, is a public sidewalk. I rented a monster
tiller recently, and tilled a 24" strip of land immediately adjacent
to the retaining wall. (did a lot of other tilling to plant a lawn
elsewhere).

My desire is to plant some pretty, high fat, low carb, edible plants
that are not grains.

The problem is the fat profile of modern domestic animals vs. the
wild animals our ancestors ate. Fat from domestic animals is high
in saturated acids. Fat from wild animals has plenty monosaturated
fats and is high in omega-3 fatty acids. The closest we could come
these days to a real 'paleo diet'

You seem like a pretty reasonable fellow, you do realize that our ancestors
were in poorer health than we are today.

Their diet sustained them through about 45 years then they died by accident,
disease or war.

These days, we need a diet that will sustain us into the late 70's early
80's years of life.

Any extreme is not good, balance is the key.

Bill