Old 16-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Katra

In article ,
(mimus) wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:28:50 -0500, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

(mimus) wrote:

You can grow the dam' things on newspaper, or rather in newspaper-
stuffed cardboard boxes . . . .

Then IIRC you induce fruiting by tossing the boxes in water for a day
or so, and allowing them to drain.

Can you point me at any links? I got some oyster mushrooms at a local
(Hudson Valley, NY) garlic festival, and want very much to grow my own.
I'll likely start with a kit from mushroompeople, but would like to do it
"from scratch."

Peace,

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

I'm starting mine using toilet paper rolls inside of an ice chest after
eating the mushroom caps and grinding up the stems and bases in the food
processor. :-) As soon as the paper is colinized, I will introduce
hardwood chips and shavings and surround the paper rolls with that.

I have mycelia starting from the ground tissue already.

I did this this spring and got one flush before losing my cultures to
the heat, so am re-starting. :-)

About how big was this flush? in other words, did it look like a
worthwhile initial yield?

--
.sigzip*

No... but it was my first try. ;-)
I anticipate a better yield now that I finally got my hands on some
decene hardwood shavings!

At least they flushed, so the "science project" has some hope if I feed
them right this time.

I'll be sure to report in a couple of months once things get going
better, if they do.

If all else fails, go he

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/fun...SSPO100&VARIAT
ION=&AITEM=1&MITEM=1

Reasonable price for a good spawn start.
If mine fails THIS time, I'll be getting one, but I think I've done
enough research for it to work now...

I hope anyway!

k.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 16-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Gary Woods

Katra wrote:

At least they flushed, so the "science project" has some hope if I feed
them right this time.

I realize that the hanging festoons of weird shrooms in the movie "Men With
Brooms" were likely oysters.
And that it's time to call my local power company and see when they're
doing line maintenance. They're more that willing to dump truckloads of
wood chips close to where they're working. I've used them for mulch in the
past, but new horizons open...

Cheers!

Old 16-10-2004, 06:31 PM
mimus

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:23:42 GMT, Gary Woods
wrote:

Katra wrote:

At least they flushed, so the "science project" has some hope if I feed
them right this time.

I realize that the hanging festoons of weird shrooms in the movie "Men With
Brooms" were likely oysters.
And that it's time to call my local power company and see when they're
doing line maintenance. They're more that willing to dump truckloads of
wood chips close to where they're working. I've used them for mulch in the
past, but new horizons open...

Cheers!

I suspect you're talking about tree- trimmings here, since I don't
think anything'd do very well on used telephone or power poles or
railroad ties but _Armillariella_.

Or maybe a polypore of some kind or other.

(I wonder if it would taste like creosote? or whether anyone allergic
to creosote would notice?)

--
..sigzip*

Old 16-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Katra

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Katra wrote:

At least they flushed, so the "science project" has some hope if I feed
them right this time.

I realize that the hanging festoons of weird shrooms in the movie "Men With
Brooms" were likely oysters.
And that it's time to call my local power company and see when they're
doing line maintenance. They're more that willing to dump truckloads of
wood chips close to where they're working. I've used them for mulch in the
past, but new horizons open...

Cheers!

Mmmm... perfect. ;-)
I had to go out of my way to find clean hardwood shavings locally. lol
Had two woodworkers willing to share as they did not want their stuff to
end up in the landfill. They were environmentally motivated. Same here.
;-) I talked to one of them about growing the Oysters and gave him a bag
of fresh mushrooms from Central Market in trade for the stuff, so _he_
kept a bag of shavings back so he can play with it as well!

Gotta love it.

Be sure to report your results! I want to "seed" some dead oak stumps
with spawn once I can get it going again.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 16-10-2004, 08:21 PM
mimus

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:57:43 -0500, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Katra wrote:

[...]

Gills from a specimen too weathered to collect work just fine.

--
..sigzip*

Old 16-10-2004, 08:40 PM
STEPHEN PEEK

If you are going to inoculate stumps or logs, look for tulip poplar. In my
area it is the preferred substrate.
Steve

Old 16-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Katra

In article ,
(mimus) wrote:

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:57:43 -0500, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Katra wrote:

[...]

I didn't use Gills, I ate the caps.
I use the tissue from just the stems and bases. :-)

Would I need to use Gills to "seed" logs?
I thought I could use spawn/mycelia?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 16-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Katra

In article . net,
"STEPHEN PEEK" wrote:

If you are going to inoculate stumps or logs, look for tulip poplar. In my
area it is the preferred substrate.
Steve

Can you mail me some? ;-)

Trees available in my area include Mesquite, Cedar, Privett ash, Post
oak, Elm, and Hackberry.

Which do you think would work best?

K.