Old 13-10-2004, 06:01 AM
Steve

Default Compost time again

belly wrote:

I use water with a little ammonia in it for washing my windows... is
it OK to throw the leftover water on the compost pile?

It seems to me that it would supply a little nitrogen. I can't think of
any reason not to. We'll see if anyone else can think of a reason to
avoid it.....

Steve
Old 13-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Stan Goodman

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:15:32 UTC, belly opined:

I use water with a little ammonia in it for washing my windows... is
it OK to throw the leftover water on the compost pile?

Ammonia is a natural component of urine.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

Old 13-10-2004, 02:15 PM
shazzbat

"belly" wrote in message
nk.net...
On 13 Oct 2004 08:19:00 GMT in
uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-LhbX1Of8umK8@poblano, "Stan Goodman"
graced the world with this thought:

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:15:32 UTC, belly opined:

I use water with a little ammonia in it for washing my windows... is
it OK to throw the leftover water on the compost pile?

Ammonia is a natural component of urine.

I know that, it's why I ask. Now, would it be OK to dump two gallons
of urine on a small compost pile?

It's kind of traditional to put urine in the compost. It may be because when
one is in the allotment or garden, It is inconvenient to go to a toilet or
get cleaned up to the point where the wife lets you indoors, especially if
you have lots more work to do. Some people say that using it neat is not a
good idea, so I get a bucket half full of water, retreat to the shed, pee in
the bucket, and put that on the compost. No problem.

Steve

Old 13-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Stan Goodman

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:48:50 UTC, belly opined:

On 13 Oct 2004 08:19:00 GMT in
uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-LhbX1Of8umK8@poblano, "Stan Goodman"
graced the world with this thought:

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:15:32 UTC, belly opined:

I use water with a little ammonia in it for washing my windows... is
it OK to throw the leftover water on the compost pile?

Ammonia is a natural component of urine.

I know that, it's why I ask. Now, would it be OK to dump two gallons
of urine on a small compost pile?

Ah, you said initially that it was "water with a little ammonia in it". Now
it sounds like much stronger stuff. Concentration is an important parameter.

What you need to do is to have more carbon (straw, paper, whatever) in the
compost than you would normally have. The nitrogen you've added (ammonia)
will rot the straw, and you'll come out with an improved compost.

Old 13-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Kellie J. Berger

What about vinegar? I have some experimental pickles that went wrong.....
vinegar, salt, garlic, sugar, cucumber, cardamon and dill but the cukes were
almost round the bend and there wasn't enough salt and prob. too much
vinegar....

can i add the cukes and the juice to my pile? or should i pour it down the
sink and garbage grinder?

--
-- kellie
bergerk at sbcglobal dot net

Old 15-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Steve

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d094101d730493b9aca002c628399.1d73052@p mug.org...
I respectfully take exception to your statement "it's kind of
traditional..."

Because some people do it doesn't make it traditional. I personally know
of no gardeners that urinate, either directly or indirectly, in their
compost pile.

Glenna

shazzbat wrote:

................................................. ..
By traditional I mean that it's been going on for a very long time, I know
someone who was doing it during WW2 as part of his contribution to "digging
for victory". I don't know if that phrase means much in US, but it was a big
deal over here. Urine is a recommended compost activator to many people.

Steve

tradition

n 1: an inherited pattern of thought or action 2: a specific practice of
long standing.

Works for me.

Steve (the other one)
Old 16-10-2004, 10:38 AM
EV

belly wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:53:58 +0100 in
, "shazzbat"
graced the world with this thought:

You do now :-)) Seriously though, this may be one of the many differences
between UK and US. I am taking the liberty of assuming you are in US.

well, as far as direct application, I'd say it has more to do with the
difference between men and women...

I'd do it if I could pee standing up. I got my husband to pee on it last
summer, and I must say the pile did break down faster. Not to mention that it
might help to discourage critters.

Thanks for the reminder!

EV

Old 16-10-2004, 03:41 PM
patriarch

EV wrote in :

belly wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:53:58 +0100 in
, "shazzbat"
graced the world with this thought:

You do now :-)) Seriously though, this may be one of the many
differences between UK and US. I am taking the liberty of assuming
you are in US.

well, as far as direct application, I'd say it has more to do with
the difference between men and women...

I'd do it if I could pee standing up. I got my husband to pee on it
last summer, and I must say the pile did break down faster. Not to
mention that it might help to discourage critters.

I can just see THIS being added to my Honey-do list!

Patriarch
Old 17-10-2004, 06:03 AM
Charles Newton

"belly" wrote in message
ink.net...
I use water with a little ammonia in it for washing my windows... is
it OK to throw the leftover water on the compost pile?

Yes

Old 17-10-2004, 06:03 AM
Charles Newton

ink.net...