Old 04-12-2004, 02:04 AM
Brian Barnson

Default Rosemary & Frost

I've found references that suggest that Rosemary can tolerate
some frost, but how much is "some"? I have 2 plants in pots
on my porch that I've been bringing inside when there is a
chance of frost. So far we haven't had any frost, but it would
be nice to know when I have to bring them in and when I can
leave them outside.
Brian, in Cedar

Old 04-12-2004, 04:10 AM
GA Pinhead

Brian:

It survives to the teens here in NE GA. It is a woody shrub here. The
pots freezing would not be a good idea but frost, not a problem.

John!

Old 04-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Frogleg

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 02:04:26 GMT, "Brian Barnson"
wrote:

I've found references that suggest that Rosemary can tolerate
some frost, but how much is "some"? I have 2 plants in pots
on my porch that I've been bringing inside when there is a
chance of frost. So far we haven't had any frost, but it would
be nice to know when I have to bring them in and when I can
leave them outside.
Brian, in Cedar

Where is Cedar?!?

Rosemary is generally listed as hardy in zones 8 through 10, which
means winter temperatures down to 30F. In my experience, they tend to
be hardier than that, and do fine here in 7b where it occasionally
drops into the teens. There are also cultivars available that are
hardy in zone 6.

I believe that plants in pots do not tolerate as low a temperature as
those in the ground, so would either bring in the pots or otherwise
protect them from temperatures of 32F or below.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

wrote:

I've found references that suggest that Rosemary can tolerate
some frost, but how much is "some"? I have 2 plants in pots
on my porch that I've been bringing inside when there is a
chance of frost. So far we haven't had any frost, but it would
be nice to know when I have to bring them in and when I can
leave them outside.

I live in South Carolina, and I have rosemary plants in the
ground and in a whisky barrel planter. Frost won't touch
'em, and neither does a bit of freezing weather. We have
at least a few nights a year that get down to the teens, and
plenty in the twenties. I never worry about the rosemary. We
even have snow or sleet once, sometimes twice a winter, and
it's never hurt the rosemary.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"

Old 04-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Brian Barnson

"Brian Barnson" wrote in message
I've found references that suggest that Rosemary can tolerate
some frost, but how much is "some"? I have 2 plants in pots
on my porch that I've been bringing inside when there is a
chance of frost. So far we haven't had any frost, but it would
be nice to know when I have to bring them in and when I can
leave them outside.
Brian, in Cedar

Thanks everyone, I'll get them through this winter by
bringing them inside for anything below an expected
-2C and next winter they will live in the ground, unless the deer
have a fondness for them. Cedar is on Vancouver Island, just
south of Nanaimo and is Zone 7 or 8. Some of the hardier
palms survive here.
Brian, in Cedar

Old 05-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Mark

wrote:

I've found references that suggest that Rosemary can tolerate
some frost, but how much is "some"? I have 2 plants in pots
on my porch that I've been bringing inside when there is a
chance of frost. So far we haven't had any frost, but it would
be nice to know when I have to bring them in and when I can
leave them outside.

I live in South Carolina, and I have rosemary plants in the
ground and in a whisky barrel planter. Frost won't touch
'em, and neither does a bit of freezing weather. We have
at least a few nights a year that get down to the teens, and
plenty in the twenties. I never worry about the rosemary. We
even have snow or sleet once, sometimes twice a winter, and
it's never hurt the rosemary.

Penelope

I'm in zone 6b, so I decided to bring my rosemary inside for the
winter...we occasionally get below-zero temps in the winter, so I
decided to play it safe.

Mark
Old 05-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Mark

wrote:

[...]

Rosemary & Frost Brian Barnson Edible Gardening 0 04-12-2004 02:04 AM
Rosemary & Frost Brian Barnson Edible Gardening 0 04-12-2004 02:04 AM
Ailing Rosemary Officianis RichardS United Kingdom 13 26-03-2003 11:08 AM
[IBC] Rosemary Claudio Fierro Bonsai 11 21-03-2003 02:56 PM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM