Old 05-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Ramset

Then explain why my rhubarb is red one year and green the next. It is
the same variety after all.

Lonely are we.....

Spend some time with it.... get to know it..... feed it..... water
it.... might just thank you for it...
Old 05-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Loki

il Sat, 05 Mar 2005 22:40:15 +1100, Ramset ha scritto:

Then explain why my rhubarb is red one year and green the next. It is
the same variety after all.

Lonely are we.....

Spend some time with it.... get to know it..... feed it..... water
it.... might just thank you for it...

It won't be too impressed when I eat it ...

--
Cheers,

Old 10-03-2005, 05:39 AM

There are definately different typs of rhubarb, a whole series of green and red
varieties. I bought a "red" variety but its gone green all the time. It is
quite warm here (Sydney). Anyone willing to part with a rhizome (sp?) from a
Red in Sydney that I can plant for next year?

David
len gardener wrote:
g'day loki,

dunno mate, mines in full on sun all day and it's never gotten as red
as some i've seen same colour all year here bottom 1/2 light to mid
red top 1/2 green.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the
environment

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you
send.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:47 AM
HC

G'day

Been following this thread with interest mainly because I just LOVE
rhubarb.....but I seem to remember my grandfather telling me when I was
a kid that there are different varieties. Just a snippet in the
archives of my mind!!

Can I join with David in asking for a rhizome of the Red variety? I'm
prepared to pay for it, plus postage, of course!

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 10-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Vincent

"HC" wrote in message
G'day

Been following this thread with interest mainly because I just LOVE
rhubarb.....but I seem to remember my grandfather telling me when I was a
kid that there are different varieties. Just a snippet in the archives of
my mind!!

Can I join with David in asking for a rhizome of the Red variety? I'm
prepared to pay for it, plus postage, of course!

Bronwyn ;-)

I have to throw out half of my rhubarb every year so that it will survive,
it grows like there is no tomorrow
I would have given the Salvo's about 50 corms / rhizomes, whatever and about
100 to neighbours, the bloody thing is always going to seed

Old 10-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Ramset

There is one called the "Sydney Red" which I got the seed for at the
local Mitre 10. Forgotten seed company though, could've been Yates.

To cut it short I was able to get one growing, it's a dark red right
up to the leaf join, the stem is thick but rather short, around 12
inches, could be my location, Ballarat. Doing well for the 2cd year.

Had one meal so far, appears slightly less astringent and less fibrous
than some of the other varieties I've ended up with over the years.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:06 AM
HC

G'day Vincent

I'm salivating at the thought of freshly cooked rhubarb served with
junket......yummy!!!

When you are ready to split the rhubarb again I'd be interested in
buying some from you if you could send it in the mail? Unless, of
course you are located closeby, in which case I could pick it up.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 18-03-2005, 10:55 PM
John Savage

writes:
varieties. I bought a "red" variety but its gone green all the time. It is
quite warm here (Sydney). Anyone willing to part with a rhizome (sp?) from a
Red in Sydney that I can plant for next year?

Have you thought of ringing one of the radio gardening programs in Sydney
and asking if someone on your side of Sydney has some unwanted rhubarb
plants looking for a good home?

There are probably gardens where rhubarb is being dug out to make way for
new buildings, or gardens being grassed over or phased out. It will only
cost you the price of a phone call. 2UE and 2GB both have gardening from
6am -9am Sat & Sun. Anyone who dislikes rhubarb and buys a house with some
in the garden would probably just throw it away, too.