Old 15-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Sandy

Default cats?

My granny has a phobia about cats,,,,how can I keep them away from her deck?
I tried putting mothballs in her lawnchairs, didn't work.....is there
anything I can spray that would keep them away?
Thanks for all advice.

Old 15-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Sandy" wrote:

My granny has a phobia about cats,,,,how can I keep them away from her deck?
I tried putting mothballs in her lawnchairs, didn't work.....is there
anything I can spray that would keep them away?
Thanks for all advice.

Feliway might work?

Otherwise, I'd pick up some "Scat matt" electric static mats...

Screening works too and will also keep off mosquitos.

Garden hoses work and won't hurt the cats.

You may also discuss the problem with local cat owners and suggest they
keep their animals inside...

I do!
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 15-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

I've heard that vinegar repels them. Haven't tried it, though.

They sell a citrus "solution" that is supposed to keep cats away from
furniture. That didn't work for us at all.
Old 15-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 02:09:06 -0700, "Sandy"
wrote:

My granny has a phobia about cats,,,,how can I keep them away from her deck?
I tried putting mothballs in her lawnchairs, didn't work.....is there
anything I can spray that would keep them away?
Thanks for all advice.

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/scarecrow.htm

http://www.shopping.com/xGS-motion_d...kin_id-3062119

Motion Detector Sprinklers worked to keep cats out of one of my
neighbor's gardens. There are several variations on this design, you
can google for the best price and options. Just be sure to position it
so that it can be turned off without your granny getting squirted!

Penelope

Old 16-06-2005, 04:50 AM
Ed

Hot pepper brine - not at them, but around the deck area.
Also help keep squirrels off my grapes when the shoots
are tender. I make a solution using hot peppers in
vinegar and then into a spray bottle. Strategic
spraying does the job. Their eyes act like ours do
when cutting onions well before it actually irritates
them.

Who's the jerk who said airgun? - they work on a-holes
as well, especially in the face. The poster is likely
looking for humane solutions. I'm looking forward to see
the fate of the two youth who assasinated a grounhog pup
today and then tried at the mother [failed] - using paintball
guns. 6 months in jail is at stake for these moronic
17- and 18-year olds. I hope they get to take IN the
WHOLE experience while incarcerated if know what I mean.

Old 16-06-2005, 04:53 AM
Ed

Forgot the link to the story - here it is

http://1010wins.com/topstories/local...166070859.html
Old 16-06-2005, 09:46 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Sandy" wrote in message
My granny has a phobia about cats,,,,how can I keep them away from her

deck?
I tried putting mothballs in her lawnchairs, didn't work.....is there
anything I can spray that would keep them away?
Thanks for all advice.

Buy granny a nice doggy.

David

Old 16-06-2005, 07:30 PM
LJ

Actually, I read in another forum that cats have been known to scratch their
eyes out after an encounter with hot pepper.

Old 16-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Ed

have a link, article, reference or something?

Old 17-06-2005, 05:36 AM
Steve

Ed wrote:

Forgot the link to the story - here it is

http://1010wins.com/topstories/local...166070859.html

I thought you were over reacting to the death of a mere groundhog or
two. Now that I've read the story, I'm with you.

Steve
Old 17-06-2005, 08:49 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

So far, I like the suggestion of getting granny a small lap dog instead.
;-) That would give granny a nice little companion and should keep cats
out of the yard!
--
Om.

Old 17-06-2005, 10:01 AM
LJ

No, couldn't find it again. I'm pretty sure it was in the Garden Web forum
and was quite the impassioned plea not to use the hot peppers but I couldn't
find the same reference again--and the thread I did find, even though it
repeated the same plea not to use the hot peppers--didn't give anymore info
and became so negative that I decided not to reference it.

Old 17-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Ed

I will check around. But, the squirrels seem
to know that my plants are off limits after a taste.
Probably after a few days, any of the aromaticity
of the pepper is gone and it requires a taste,
which I don't think will harm an animal. The burn
is probably a pepper's natural defense anyway. It's
not delivered at full strength either. Right after I
apply it, I'd be surprised if they at all go near
the plants and areas that have been sprayed.

I could understand directly **sprayed** pepper causing
an animal to mame itself. Believe you me, I've touched
hot pepper in a meal and still after washing hands and
then dealing with my contact lenses later on, I've
gotten the burn. It takes a lot of resolve not to put
soap directly into my eyes - just have to flood the
eyes with water. Very powerful stuff that capsaicin.

Cats Lozzie Gardening 2 03-02-2004 08:43 PM
Cats terrorise my fish! Scooby Don't Ponds 22 22-12-2003 07:12 AM
Cats any ideas update auntie_biotic United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 12:08 AM
cats julie manns United Kingdom 82 07-04-2003 07:56 AM
cats Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-01-2003 01:04 AM