Old 26-06-2005, 10:54 PM
john

No, I don't know about seeds from hybrids.

Old 27-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Ottawa

I am 100% sure that they sell peppers by the color. I've seen them sold
like this in Home Depot, the farmers markets, garden centres. I"m leaning
more towards them actually being bread for that color as supposed ot being
mature green ones.
"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:02:53 GMT, Sue
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:53:49 -0400, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:07:49 GMT, Sue
wrote:

I've grown green bells in the past, but this is my first year trying
red and yellow bells. I have lots of peppers, but they're all green -
so far. My problem is that I didn't label them and don't remember
which are which. So, I don't know which I can pick now and which
should sit on the plant waiting to turn color. There is *no* hint of
color (other than green, of course) on any of them.

Green bell peppers are just unripe red, yellow, orange, etc
peppers.

Are you saying that they are the same plant? Why do they sell them as
separate plants?

Where do they sell them as separate plants? I rarely buy pepper
plants locally, I like more exotic varieties, so I don't know how
they're pitching peppers now.

If you had left the peppers you grew in the past on the
plant, they would have ripened up just like the ones you're
growing right now.

I've never had this happen with the greens I've grown in the past. If
I didn't pick them, they didn't change color, they just went bad.

They were bell peppers, correct? Unless there is a variety that I
am unaware of, and with the vast number of varieties available
these days that's entirely possible, all green bell peppers are
unripe colored bells. How did yours go bad?

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Old 28-06-2005, 02:40 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 26 Jun 2005 14:54:07 -0700, "john"
wrote:

My apologies if I'm telling you something you already know, but I
thought it would be easier to try and explain all at once.

No, I don't know about seeds from hybrids.

Most commonly, hybrid plants are crosses from two or more parent
plants of different varieties. Seeds from hybrids can be like
either of the parent plants, or they can be like the hybrid.
Remember in biology class when you did the Punnett square?

http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Genetics/BasGen.html

This is a page with dog genetics, but if you scroll down, there
are Punnett Squares for people like me, who's high school biology
classes were more years ago than I care to mention.

If one jalapeno had genes for heat HH, and the one they crossed
it with had genes for mild hh, the hybrid would have Hh. If you
crossed the Hh plants with another Hh plant, the seeds would be
25% HH, 25% hh, and 50% HH. *If*, and please note that's an if,
not a "fer sure", the peppers you saved seeds from were hybrids,
the seeds you planted may not produce peppers just like the ones
in the store., they may produce plants like a parent.

That's not necessarily bad, you'll still have jalapenos, they
might be hotter or milder, or have larger or smaller pods than
what you remember the ones from the grocery store being.

Good luck,

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"
Old 28-06-2005, 03:12 AM
john

Thank you for taking the time to type all that. I do remember the
Punnett square (thanks to your link).

I'll just ride this great adventure to it's conclusion and see what
happens. (I am dying for some good peppers!) d:^)

John

Pepper Pepper who's got the Pepper? Dan L. Gardening 2 04-04-2007 07:32 PM
Question about pesky insects and a beginner to Bonsai Dave C Bonsai 2 20-05-2005 03:20 PM
[IBC] Question about pesky insects and a beginner to Bonsai Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 20-05-2005 11:10 AM
Pesky Lawn Weeds JeffLaw Gardening 67 06-03-2004 04:22 AM
Lawn weed.Pesky!! Peter H Lawns 6 22-07-2003 06:33 AM