Old 10-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Puckdropper

I've got a few small tomatoes going, but nothing ready to turn red.
The plants I started from seed aren't nearly as tall as those from
store-bought plants.

The tomatoes I started in a bucket are doing ok, there's one fruit, but
many more blossoms. They weren't doing so well until a week ago when I
trimmed several of the weak-looking branches off. Now they're doing
much better. :-)

Old 10-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Richard

I live in Albany, NY. I picked my first smallish red tomato, June
10th. Beat last years first tomato by 10 days. Since about the 25th of
June, I have been picking about 1 pound/day. The variety I am picking
is called "subartic". I have raised beds on the back of my house
facing south. I started them March 1 and then put them outdoors in a
coldframe on April 15th. I am also picking the same variety from open
field plants I also put out April 15th using Wall o Water. I should
mention that I am using black IRT plastic mulch throughout.
Richard

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:18:43 -0400, GA Pinhead
wrote:

Missed my goal by a couple of days this year, but still the week of July
4th. Sausalito won the race this year. I did pick a couple of big
green ones for my wife to fry up for herself. Not the biggest of course!

Lots of green ones and blooms so this year looks good, not like last year.

John! in NE GA US

Old 10-07-2005, 06:41 PM
The Cook

GA Pinhead wrote:

Missed my goal by a couple of days this year, but still the week of July
4th. Sausalito won the race this year. I did pick a couple of big
green ones for my wife to fry up for herself. Not the biggest of course!

Lots of green ones and blooms so this year looks good, not like last year.

John! in NE GA US

I have been picking tomatoes for over a week. I got my first full
sized tomatoes on July 6. I have already picked at least 18 pounds.

Susan
In the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 11-07-2005, 12:57 AM
Andy Petro

What is your secret with tomatoes. I live in Kitchener not far from you and
i only have a few small green tomatoes so far. It will be another month
before they are ripe . Do you use black plastic or anything special. ?

"Sallyrat&Sweetie" wrote in message
Yes way, we can.

I live in Toronto and I had my first ripe tomato on July 7( two days ago).
I started them from seed too.(in mid March , I believe. Normal time).
And this one isn't even advertised as being an early tomato( Bloody
Butcher, heritage variety). There is another one ready to be picked
tomorrow. I have also started picking the currant tomatoes( 2 so far).
The weather has been disgustingly hot but the tomatoes are loving it.

Sally

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
. ..
You should always state what part of the world or state you are in. For
instance i live in Canada and no way can we have red tomatoes that early.
-----================================================== ===========================

Old 11-07-2005, 02:21 AM
Keith Warren

Hey back at ya. You hit it dead on. We live about a mile and a half (as the
crow flies) south of the Experiment Station on a road that sits across 129
from Pappy's. I too do work for Joe, Freya and UGA on the side, but it is of
the remodeling variety. Joe and I sit on the local Boy Scout Committee
together. Where are you located and are you guys covered in June Bugs and
Japanese Beetles too?

Keith

With a 4 acre playground in God's country!

"GA Pinhead" wrote in message
Hey Neighbor! You must be on the south side of the mountain. I used to
go up to the Experiment St all the time doing their computer work.
Beautiful area to be sure.

John!

Keith Warren wrote:
Uhhhh, Andy.........John said Northeast Georgia USA, or do you want
something a little more specific :-)

For the record, I just picked my first one today, Early Girl.

Keith in Extreme NE Georgia. To be exact Blairsville, GA USA. For
perspective we are 19 miles from North Carolina, 23 miles from Tennessee

and
36 miles from South Carolina.

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
. ..

You should always state what part of the world or state you are in. For
instance i live in Canada and no way can we have red tomatoes that

early.

-----================================================== ===================

========

. ..

Old 11-07-2005, 02:34 AM
TQ

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry - I meant tomato plants really don't need much fertilizer. Some
people equate big plants = heavy fertilization(wd?). Too much
nitrogen and you get massive plants and few tomatoes. So far I just
fertilized at planting time (late May). Compost should feed the
plants the remainder of the year.

All plants will benefit from an occasional foliar feeding of seaweed/fish
emulsion.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:27 AM
Puckdropper

*snip*

Do you use black plastic or
anything special. ?

Is that like black magic? *taps the tomato cage with the end of a
trowel* Grow, my pretties! Grow! lol.

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Sallyrat&Sweetie

Okay, I admit it. I cheat with Wall o' Water !. I actually didn't take
them off during the hot spell in June. I just made sure they were opened up
so the plants wouldn't cook. I have a few tomato plants in large pots and
used the walls on them as well and, once the walls were balanced (I didn't
fill all the holes), they worked beautifully.

I took off most of the walls a about three weeks ago but one actually came
off last week. i have been using them for years and am always the first one
in the neighbourhood with tomatoes. The red ones seem to work the best
except that they disintegrate faster than the clear ones ( flimsier
plastic).

And, of course, everything has been overly mulched this year b/c of the lack
of rain. We haven't had rain in this neighbourhood for over a month...

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
.. .
What is your secret with tomatoes. I live in Kitchener not far from you
and
i only have a few small green tomatoes so far. It will be another month
before they are ripe . Do you use black plastic or anything special. ?

"Sallyrat&Sweetie" wrote in message
Yes way, we can.

I live in Toronto and I had my first ripe tomato on July 7( two days
ago). I started them from seed too.(in mid March , I believe. Normal
time). And this one isn't even advertised as being an early tomato(
Bloody Butcher, heritage variety). There is another one ready to be
picked tomorrow. I have also started picking the currant tomatoes( 2 so
far). The weather has been disgustingly hot but the tomatoes are loving
it.

Sally

. ..

Old 11-07-2005, 02:38 PM
GA Pinhead

Keith:

We are south of Gainesville, just off 129 as well. No june bugs this
year for some reason, but lots of jap beetles. I leave a couple of
evening primroses as traps and kill them on it. That is the only thing
they are attacking this year, but I must kill 20 a day on it.

Tell Freya John L says hi! I miss the trips up there and so does my
wife, she would go with me and shop all day...

Well, I need to go and see what the rain did to the garden.

John!

Old 12-07-2005, 03:07 AM
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Missed my goal by a couple of days this year, but still the week of July
4th.

We didn't get our garden in until May 18th this year (global warming
my a**). Nothing even close to turning red right now.

But, oh boy, with 22 giant tomato plants out there, when they hit,
they're really gonna hit.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:45 AM
GA Pinhead

First hit on google.

http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/produ...00&src=21TL002

basically tubes of water.

John!

Andy Petro wrote:
What is a Wall o' Water. I never heard of it.

"Sallyrat&Sweetie" wrote in message
.. .

Okay, I admit it. I cheat with Wall o' Water !. I actually didn't take

Happy 4th of July San Diego Joe Ponds (moderated) 3 05-07-2007 06:17 PM
Happy July 4th weekend! San Diego Joe Ponds 12 04-07-2005 05:20 AM
how do they make tomatoes red when they are not ripe Doctoroe Edible Gardening 10 13-11-2003 05:02 AM
4th of July Theo question Cass Roses 0 14-03-2003 03:44 PM
4th of July Venu Shelat Roses 3 14-03-2003 01:32 PM