Old 12-08-2003, 06:22 PM

Default What are your personal goals with a planted tank?

What are your personal goals with a planted tank?
Lurkers are welcomed to respond.
Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 12-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Graham Ramsay

What are your personal goals with a planted tank?
Lurkers are welcomed to respond.
Regards,
Tom Barr

Something that looks good first and foremost and as 'natural'
as possible on my limited budget. I'm not a fan of the rather sculpted
and artificial Amano style. I like to see some dark places
where my Cardinals hang out and I like the look of untidiness
you get if you leave (pardon the pun) some plants to get
on with it.
In the future I'd like to get a tank with more light and try
some more difficult (red) plants.

--
Graham Ramsay
You might be a Bright:

Old 12-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Victor M. Martinez

A more balanced and diverse ecosystem, first and foremost. Also a less
maintenance-intensive tank, i.e. low-tech.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 12-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Philippe Lemaire \(remove all D's\)

Making it nice with not too much care ;-) BUT...

It is not a joke but since I add CO2 my H.zosterifolia melt quite often
followed by H. corymbosa, L. sessiliflora, D. diandra and G. elantinoides.
Root feeding plant seems to resist more.
Cryptocoryne and Nymphea are OK.

NPK and Fe are rather high.
gH is 9 with 1/3 of Mg...
Light is 108W fluorescent tubes !
200 l with 150 l of water
CO2 added but perhaps irregularly due to pump clogged
As some peat in the filter CO2 too high per normal calculation i.e.
pH 6.2 kH 4.5 = 2 bubbles per sec. with 1.5cm x 120 cm opening at the cover
and some nice O2 bubbles to make it nice ;-) [to my wife]

Changing 5 l every day and bored of doing so !
Adding the Fe + 10 ml TMG

That's all,

Regards,

Philippe

Old 12-08-2003, 10:29 PM
~Vicki ~

For me, my goals are to give my fish a healthy environment to live and
breed in. It is not even a look thing because there are plenty of fake
plants which look nice in a tank, but lack the benefits of live. Live
plants help break down waist products and add a food source for when we
go out of town. Small fish have a good place to hide and the large fish
even seem to feel safer with taller plants.

Vicki

Visit me on line at http://shamrock4u.250free.com

Old 12-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Toni

" wrote in message
om...
What are your personal goals with a planted tank?

My planted tank functions as living art.
I have many beautiful things on display but the planted aquarium is the one
thing everyone focuses on. It dominates the living space- as planned. And as
art it pleases me immensely- it graces my home with a very soothing and
tranquil influence.
That it requires some measure of balance and effort to remain tranquil and
soothing seems a good lesson.

Tomorrow I could have a different answer.

Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/aquarium.htm

Old 12-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Toni

"Toni" wrote in message
link.net...

My planted tank functions as living art.
I have many beautiful things on display but the planted aquarium is the

one
thing everyone focuses on. It dominates the living space- as planned. And

as
art it pleases me immensely- it graces my home with a very soothing and
tranquil influence.
That it requires some measure of balance and effort to remain tranquil and
soothing seems a good lesson.

OK- so that didn't make any sense in the context of the question.

What I kinda sorta meant was that I was learning a lot about life (and I'm
50) from my planted aquarium, and my personal goal is to continue to refine
the process on both fronts.

Old 13-08-2003, 02:42 PM
nikolay_kraltchev

As a lady that I know put it one day "I want for people to come to my
house, look at the tank and just stare. Not to look and say "Ahmm...
and where's the fish?"

A planted tank that is indeed beautiful, really makes people just
look, attracts attention, and very much words are not needed.

I'd like to be able to set up tanks that I personally want to return
and look at. Style, size, plants - they don't really matter. As long
as the tank attracts the eyes like a magnet.

--Nikolay

Old 13-08-2003, 05:32 PM
PérRµ§h ©

"Philippe Lemaire (remove all D's)" schreef in
bericht e...

pH 6.2 kH 4.5

WAY too much CO2
bring the pH up to 6.8

Old 13-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Chuck Gadd

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:29:31 -0700, The Spud wrote:

As trite as it may seem, my goal is to have a nice looking tank. Or
maybe since this is my first attempt at live plants, my goal is to not
kill any.

Scratch that goal off the list. Even the most experienced plant
keeper will still kill some plants. Not all plants work in all tanks.
Plant a bunch of different ones that you like, and find out which
plants do best in your tank.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 14-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Aqua

What are your personal goals with a planted tank?

To have a constant (frequent) Pain in the ... But I enjoy it.

Old 14-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Ron Nelson

I think it might have something to do with being a little obsessive
compulsive, suffering from a god complex, and having an obsession for
complex systems. :-)

I would say healthy plants, healthy fish, and an attractive touch of nature
for the house are my main goals.

Ron

om...