Old 30-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Marcus Fox

Default Potassium Permanganate...

Where can I buy this as crystals or solution in the UK? I doubt it's readily
available as crystals as they can be mixed with sugar to make an improvised
explosive. Mind you, I guess they can be re-crystallised from solution too.

Marcus

Old 30-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Djay

In the US you can get it at a "water softening" company like Culligan. They
use it to clean "green sand" water conditioners. Maybe check with a similar
company in the UK?

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...

Old 31-08-2003, 07:33 AM
Racf

"Djay" wrote in message
In the US you can get it at a "water softening" company like Culligan.

They
use it to clean "green sand" water conditioners. Maybe check with a

similar
company in the UK?

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
Where can I buy this as crystals or solution in the UK? I doubt it's

readily
available as crystals as they can be mixed with sugar to make an

improvised
explosive. Mind you, I guess they can be re-crystallised from

solution
too.

Marcus

Here Sears and Roebuck sells it as a cleaner for water softeners and
iron removers..... Interesting that adding sugar makes it an
explosive.......I did not know that....I guess they do not care here in
the US since we can buy gun power and fertilizer at Wal-mart.

Old 31-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Paul McGuinness

In message , Marcus
Fox writes
Where can I buy this as crystals or solution in the UK? I doubt it's readily
available as crystals as they can be mixed with sugar to make an improvised
explosive.

Takes me back to school days
I used it to make rocket motors for my model boats - a lot of smoke, a
big whoosh and one sunk plastic boat. What fun!
Back on topic, I could walk into a chemist and buy it over the counter
in those days ( early 1960's ) in small quantities. The chemist just
joked
don't make any bombs. That was before the IRA became active again.

If the chemist won't sell it, then maybe a science teacher or student
could get some. Or even mail order school suppliers?

--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old 01-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Marcus Fox

"Racf" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Djay" wrote in message
[...]

Potassium permanganate is an oxidising agent, formula KMnO4. Sugar is a good
source of energy for the body. But the energy can be released in other ways.
I saw a demonstration once where a cube of sugar was immersed in liquid
oxygen for a minute, then thrown in a bonfire. The explosion was quite
spectacular.

I've also seen a similar experiment done with a small amount of powdered
sugar and potassium chlorate - another oxidiser. A £1 coin was placed
between a steel block and a heavy sheet of tin. The mixture was placed on
the top of the tin and a long, red hot poker applied. The force of the
explosion was enough to clearly indent the tin with the image of the coin.

Marcus

Old 04-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Registered User

By the way you can buy kmno4 from a garden store. the website is www.gardendirect.co.uk. The site is still under construction and you will need to ask them to send you a catalouge of their products to your adress. Anyway it costs £14 for 500 grams and it comes in the form of crystals or powder. Also what are you going to use it for? if you are going to use it to make pyrotechnic mixtures i suggest replacing it with kno3 (potassium nitrate) which is also sold at garden direct and is much cheaper and a much more forgiving chemical
Marcus[/quote]
Old 05-11-2004, 06:46 AM

Also what are you going to use it for? if you are
going to use it to make pyrotechnic mixtures i suggest replacing it
with kno3 (potassium nitrate) which is also sold at garden direct and
is much cheaper and a much more forgiving chemical
Marcus

Gasoline/Acetylene etc is also highly explosive when added to O2, but
that's will never be regulated as such. So are cars and Gas tankers
for that matter. Lots of things go boom and are available. A better
use for Permangnate can be used for a treatment dip for plants, much
like Bleach but milder or to kill anchor worm etc.

I prefer bleach to purple fingers personally.

Regards.
Tom Barr

Where to get potassium permanganate, and will it hurt frog eggs? Pam Gibbs Ponds 3 22-07-2004 07:39 PM
Potassium permanganate OT maybe. *muffin* Ponds 7 15-07-2003 05:03 PM
potassium permanganate *muffin* Ponds 3 15-05-2003 11:44 PM
The Ultimate Potassium Permanganate FAQ Jim Ponds 3 07-05-2003 06:44 PM
Potassium Permanganate question ande Ponds 16 11-04-2003 10:44 PM