Old 12-07-2003, 10:33 AM
*muffin*

Default Potassium permanganate OT maybe.

anyone watch Tremors last night in sci-fi??

well one guy was poisoning the 'poor' graboid with small amounts of PP. & IT
finally ate him with the guys pockets FULL of the stuff ( which made him
the graboid pretty sick, & they had to make him an antidote).. anyway,,
Bert was nearby when he said the guy went 'down ' in a cloud of purple
*dust* , which meant the stuff was whhoooffff all over!!

now,, from reading on HERE how horrific this stuff is , if you use it
wrong,, (one small amount astray can blind you, or mess up your respiratory
system), they sure didn't have any comments to THAT problem. I figure anyone
nearby , by now, should be in a hospital!!(ok, it was TV),,

I am thinking,,, about all the people who might use the stuff for some
'homemade bombs' , or whatever,, like they alluded to. (after watching the
show) hmmm.

oh, btw, after I had such a problem finding the stuff previously,, I walk
into my feed store, & its on the shelf ( in a pretty BIG container) with all
the other pond stuff( for algae etc).. I read the pkg, & it didn't give any
'real big' warnings about the stuff.

I used this stuff 20 years ago,, & I know I didn't take precautions with
it.. just poured it in a container OUTSIDE to mix it, I'm sure lots of
dust went flyin' around.. even last month , I hadn't read all the hazards
about it, & took a small amount out (with a Popsicle stick) to mix in an
empty water bottle to add to my quarantine tank. I KNOW I wasn't that
careful, as I found when I was wiping up, lots of little purple 'dots' on
the table. #yikes#. PLUS little brown dots on my hands. Now after reading
all the stuff, I'm afraid to open the thing up without a hazmatsuit on! (
which I can readily get from my hubby, since the company he works for has
these things for the guys who paint the bridges........)

ok,,, I know,, rambling, but maybe someone hasn't heard of all the stuff
that can happen (like blindness, etc) with this stuff. When I bought it
from the pond place ,, NO precautions were on the bottle.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Don Cunningham

muffin,
I have used KMNO4 for years (I'm a pharmacist) and the secret to safety is
to get it into solution as quickly as possible. It is still not harmless in
solution, but it is much more dangerous in the dry form. Of course you
still have to be careful of your eyes and skin.

don cunningham

Old 12-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Gregory Young

Muffin:
I have posted information, several times over the last 6 months on using PP
(safely), and what can happen if you mishandle it. One person I personally
treated in the ED was an "expert" in its use (long term sewage treatment
employee). He paid the price with irreversible eye injury, the final extent
of which I don't know (as I didn't get a chance follow up with his
Ophthalmologist)
My last post on PP was posted in the salt thread.
One party in particular accused me of over emphasizing the dangers inherent
it its use. (BTW Once it is in liquid form, it is much, much safer than in
powder form).
A vet, Myron Kebus wrote a brief article on it, in this month's issue of
Water Gardening magazine, that you, and others in the NG may like to read.
His assessment is accurate, in my opinion.
Happy ponding,
Greg

&

(

Old 13-07-2003, 12:08 AM

well... see.. actually you are like the guy in vanilla sky and just imagining this
group... you are actually in a coma from misusing it. Ingrid

"*muffin*" wrote:
I used this stuff 20 years ago,, & I know I didn't take precautions with
it.. just poured it in a container OUTSIDE to mix it, I'm sure lots of
dust went flyin' around.. even last month , I hadn't read all the hazards
about it, & took a small amount out (with a Popsicle stick) to mix in an
empty water bottle to add to my quarantine tank. I KNOW I wasn't that
careful, as I found when I was wiping up, lots of little purple 'dots' on
the table. #yikes#. PLUS little brown dots on my hands. Now after reading
all the stuff, I'm afraid to open the thing up without a hazmatsuit on! (
which I can readily get from my hubby, since the company he works for has
these things for the guys who paint the bridges........)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 13-07-2003, 01:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

LOL!!! Ingrid, you actually made a joke.... you were joking right?
;o) ~ jan

"*muffin*" wrote:
I used this stuff 20 years ago,, & I know I didn't take precautions with
it.. just poured it in a container OUTSIDE to mix it, I'm sure lots of
dust went flyin' around.. even last month , I hadn't read all the hazards
about it, & took a small amount out (with a Popsicle stick) to mix in an
empty water bottle to add to my quarantine tank. I KNOW I wasn't that
careful, as I found when I was wiping up, lots of little purple 'dots' on
the table. #yikes#. PLUS little brown dots on my hands. Now after reading
all the stuff, I'm afraid to open the thing up without a hazmatsuit on! (
which I can readily get from my hubby, since the company he works for has
these things for the guys who paint the bridges........)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 13-07-2003, 04:56 AM
*muffin*

OHHHHHHHH dang,
than must be my problem for the *pond* addiction

; )

"*muffin*" wrote:
I used this stuff 20 years ago,, & I know I didn't take precautions with
it.. just poured it in a container OUTSIDE to mix it, I'm sure lots of
dust went flyin' around.. even last month , I hadn't read all the

hazards
about it, & took a small amount out (with a Popsicle stick) to mix in an
empty water bottle to add to my quarantine tank. I KNOW I wasn't that
careful, as I found when I was wiping up, lots of little purple 'dots' on
the table. #yikes#. PLUS little brown dots on my hands. Now after

reading
all the stuff, I'm afraid to open the thing up without a hazmatsuit on! (
which I can readily get from my hubby, since the company he works for has
these things for the guys who paint the bridges........)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 14-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Gregory Young

It's like someone said recently on this NG, "you can do all the wrong things
(talking about ponds actually) and get away with it", (until such time as it
catches you, like it did my sewage treatment guy, or the expert woodworker
who cuts his finger tips off on a saw).
Sometimes the less "expert" users have less problems, as they have more than
a healthy concern for the substances/machinery they are using. They avoid
getting comfortable while using them, unlike many of the veterans
('experts").
Greg

"*muffin*" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 15-07-2003, 05:03 PM

oh yeah.

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

LOL!!! Ingrid, you actually made a joke.... you were joking right?
;o) ~ jan

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:09:17 GMT, wrote:

well... see.. actually you are like the guy in vanilla sky and just imagining this
group... you are actually in a coma from misusing it. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Potassium Permanganate... Marcus Fox Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 05-11-2004 06:46 AM
Where to get potassium permanganate, and will it hurt frog eggs? Pam Gibbs Ponds 3 22-07-2004 07:39 PM
potassium permanganate *muffin* Ponds 3 15-05-2003 11:44 PM
The Ultimate Potassium Permanganate FAQ Jim Ponds 3 07-05-2003 06:44 PM
Potassium Permanganate question ande Ponds 16 11-04-2003 10:44 PM