Old 02-04-2003, 04:56 PM
ande

Default Potassium Permanganate question

What is the amount of PP I should mix to soak new plants before adding them
to my pond? How long should I soak them? I know you guys have posted this
before but I just can't remember. I promise to write it down this time :0)

Old 02-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

First of all, you should mix a "stock" solution of PP. Use 15 grams (or
approx. 2 LEVEL tsp.) of PP to 1 ltr. of very warm water (this makes a 4 ppm
stock solution). I usually put about 1/3 of the water in the bottle, then
the PP, shake it like crazy, then fill the rest of the bottle with more hot
water. CLEARLY MARK IT before you store it. Add enough of this solution to
make the water deep purple, submerge your plants, cover them with something
(to keep curious hands out), and come back when the water looks like tea. Or
later. 24 hrs. should be OK. Drain the tub, rinse the plants, and rinse
again before you put them in the pond.

Be very, very careful with this stuff. If you're prone to making contact
with stuff when you play with it, wear rubber gloves. If you get it on your
skin, have some peroxide right there to apply to your skin, or be prepared
to look like strong tea until your skin flakes off. It will permanently
stain clothes and most other stuff it comes in contact with. It can be very
scary stuff, but it's also very useful. I finally got over my fear of the
stuff last year . . .it has too many benefits not to use.

Lee

Old 02-04-2003, 09:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
snip
Be very, very careful with this stuff. If you're prone to making contact
with stuff when you play with it, wear rubber gloves. If you get it on

your
skin, have some peroxide right there to apply to your skin, or be prepared
to look like strong tea until your skin flakes off. It will permanently
stain clothes and most other stuff it comes in contact with. It can be

very
scary stuff, but it's also very useful. I finally got over my fear of the
stuff last year . . .it has too many benefits not to use.

snip

OK, my interest is peaked...what is this stuff?

BV.

Old 02-04-2003, 10:08 PM

2X concentration (double)
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p....htm#POTASSIUM
however, I think copper sulfate works better. can get it in fish store as
coppersafe. ingrid
Old 02-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
snip

Be very, very careful with this stuff. If you're prone to making contact
with stuff when you play with it, wear rubber gloves. If you get it on

your

skin, have some peroxide right there to apply to your skin, or be prepared
to look like strong tea until your skin flakes off. It will permanently
stain clothes and most other stuff it comes in contact with. It can be

very

scary stuff, but it's also very useful. I finally got over my fear of the
stuff last year . . .it has too many benefits not to use.

snip

OK, my interest is peaked...what is this stuff?

BV.

It is a very potent chemical. It can be used to treat
plants to kill off bugs and also to treat sick fish. People
have been known to kill off their fish accidentally when
trying to treat the pond. If used correctly, it's great.

I'm not brave enough to use the stuff - never had the need yet!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 02-04-2003, 11:44 PM
K30a

It is also on the list of chemicals used for
manufacture of illegal substances ;-)
It would be wise to document your useage
and keep fish and plant type instructions with
it.
Roark had a really interesting article about it.
I've lost a lot of my links. (Hysterical wholesale
deleting one day....) But someone might have Roark's url.

k30a
Old 03-04-2003, 12:44 AM
John Rutz

K30a wrote:
It is also on the list of chemicals used for
manufacture of illegal substances ;-)
It would be wise to document your useage
and keep fish and plant type instructions with
it.
Roark had a really interesting article about it.
I've lost a lot of my links. (Hysterical wholesale
deleting one day....) But someone might have Roark's url.

k30a

--

http://www.click2roark.com/cgi-win/w...ocument=index2

John Rutz
spring is here but its wheels are stuck in the snow
see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 03-04-2003, 03:56 PM
ande

How do you go about using the copper safe for cleansing plants? I probably
have some of that stuff around anyway. I have used it in treating my
aquariums.

wrote in message
2X concentration (double)

http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...trtmnt.htm#POT

Old 05-04-2003, 03:20 AM
RichToyBox

PP is a strong oxidizer. If the pond has much mulm in it, it is impossible
to get a dose strong enough to keep its purple/pink/champagne color very
long. For killing parasites, it requires the color stay for 6 to 8 hours.
I have found it useful, through many applications in sequence at recommended
dosage to clean some of the mulm out of the rocks in those rock bottom
ponds. If you have a rock bottom pond, the mulm keeps it from ever really
maintaining the concentration long enough to do the parasites.
--
RichToyBox

Old 05-04-2003, 05:08 AM
K30a

Michael wrote
"Mulm" is in no dictionary I could find. What is it?

Oh! How can I resist?!
Mulm is stuff that builds up on the bottom of your pond.
It contains:
blown in dust
blown in sand
blown in dirt
fish poop
snail poop
frog poop
tadpole poop
bird poop
uneaten fish food
dead algae
dead zooplankton
dead tree leaves
dead lily flowers
dead plant foliage
shed husks of aquatic insects
a couple of drowned earth worms, a few
leeches, some horse hair worms,
a bunch of flatworms, lots
of redworms
and
the remains of Jimmy Hoffa.

k30a

Old 05-04-2003, 05:08 AM
mad

LOLOL
mad
--
The truly wise never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

From: ESPMER (K30a)
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 05 Apr 2003 03:50:33 GMT
Subject: Potassium Permanganate question

and
the remains of Jimmy Hoffa.

Old 05-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Mac Knight

lol - and it makes great mulch in the garden.

Mac Knight
http://www.macknight.addr.com

Old 05-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
[...]

And if you haven't guessed k30a spends her free time
examining it under a microscope!

Old 06-04-2003, 02:56 AM
RichToyBox

K30a,

Have never seen it explained better.
--
RichToyBox

Old 06-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Priscilla McCullough

Default Question

I'm go have to try that. While cleaning mine out and I had my hands and feet
down in that stuff for two days a snake just gliding by me one morning. lol
Priss
"Russ and Cathy" wrote in message
news
Would putting a fake owl on or near my pond keep away snakes? I am
petrified
of snakes and have seen a couple of them near my pond in the past couple

of
years. With adding another pond outdoors, i dont want the snake population
in my yard to multiply. We put moth balls around our foundation and i

think
that helps some but we have 3 dogs and i dont want them to think it is a
doggie treat.
Cathy

Potassium Permanganate... Marcus Fox Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 05-11-2004 06:46 AM
Where to get potassium permanganate, and will it hurt frog eggs? Pam Gibbs Ponds 3 22-07-2004 07:39 PM
Potassium permanganate OT maybe. *muffin* Ponds 7 15-07-2003 05:03 PM
potassium permanganate *muffin* Ponds 3 15-05-2003 11:44 PM
The Ultimate Potassium Permanganate FAQ Jim Ponds 3 07-05-2003 06:44 PM