Old 22-12-2003, 02:33 AM
WILLIAM VINCENT

Default slow/no growth

I know, I know, we see this post all the time, but I am truly stumped.
Everything seems fine, but the growth is pathetic. Even the hornwort is
growing for krap. The anubias and swords look horrible, appear to be very
slowly approaching the clearing at the end of the path.

75 gallon, lightly planted, heavy bio-load.
gravel sub
eheim pro 2320
java fern
java moss
couple swords
half-dozen or so anubias

6 adult tiger barbs
3 medium angels
2 dozen danio
dozen or so various small tetra
5 SAE
1 small red tail shark
1 pang. cat
4 smallish clowns
couple other hangers-on

temp 78f
ph 7
am 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20-25ppm
gh 5-6
kh 3
light is currently 2x40
Lighting is generally 4x40, but a friend of mine has a 55 long with a few
swords and about 30 watts, and his swords look fantastic. I'm experimenting.
I shut off the second bank a month ago, and the plants haven't responded one
way or another.

Anyone help me out? I have 3 tanks with plants, and this is the only one I'm
having difficulties with. TIA

--
--------
Billy

Old 22-12-2003, 03:03 AM
Dinky

"WILLIAM VINCENT" wrote in message
k.net...
I know, I know, we see this post all the time, but I am truly stumped.

Sorry, forgot, I dose conservatively with Flourish, and no CO2.

billy

Old 22-12-2003, 03:32 AM
Alex R

Try to add some potassium. Plants need nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus as
their main nutrients. You already have plenty of NO3 without supplementing
any, which means you probably have enough PO4. You're also adding traces,
which leaves only potassium. Get a bottle of Flourish Potassium. If that
improves things, look into finding some dry potassium sulfate
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

news

Old 22-12-2003, 04:03 AM
Dinky

"Alex R" wrote in message
Try to add some potassium. Plants need nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus as
their main nutrients. You already have plenty of NO3 without supplementing
any, which means you probably have enough PO4. You're also adding traces,
which leaves only potassium. Get a bottle of Flourish Potassium. If that
improves things, look into finding some dry potassium sulfate
__

Hmm..IIRC, flourish doesn't provide trace elements at all. I have a bottle
of Seachem Trace around here somewhere, I'll check the ingredients. Thanks
much.

billy

Old 22-12-2003, 08:43 PM

"Dinky" wrote in message thlink.net...
"WILLIAM VINCENT" wrote in message
k.net...
I know, I know, we see this post all the time, but I am truly stumped.

Sorry, forgot, I dose conservatively with Flourish, and no CO2.

billy

Balance the fish loads in that tank like you have in the others.
The fish are supplying the plants with enough in the other tanks.
Also, are the other tanks smaller?Less light?

You'd do well to add CO2.
You can also add some floating plants. Enriched the substrate etc.
K+ is a good idea as mentioned but generally I do not do that with non
CO2 tanks, just fish waste.But the tanks are packed with plants also.

Remember the fish link to the plants. If you stop feeding the
fish/feed them less etc, the plants also get less.

You can increase the fish feeding /food etc and see if that improves
things, but it will take a about 2-4 weeks.
Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 22-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Eric Schreiber

"Dinky" wrote:

Sorry, forgot, I dose conservatively with Flourish, and no CO2.

I second Alex's advice to add some potassium. I had the slow/no growth
in my tank for a long time too. Adding CO2 didn't seem to help much,
and the only thing I was able to grow well was algae. I started adding
potassium on the advice of some of the experts here, and my plants
went nuts. Every 10-14 days now I cut out handfuls of new growth.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 22-12-2003, 10:51 PM
Alex R

"Dinky" wrote in message
.net...

"Alex R" wrote in message
Try to add some potassium. Plants need nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus

as
their main nutrients. You already have plenty of NO3 without

supplementing
any, which means you probably have enough PO4. You're also adding

traces,
which leaves only potassium. Get a bottle of Flourish Potassium. If that
improves things, look into finding some dry potassium sulfate
__

Hmm..IIRC, flourish doesn't provide trace elements at all. I have a bottle
of Seachem Trace around here somewhere, I'll check the ingredients. Thanks
much.

No, Flourish is precisely a trace supplement. Flourish Trace is one too,
except it doesn't have iron. You'd use it if you didn't want to add iron for
some reason.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Old 23-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Dinky

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
"Dinky" wrote:

Sorry, forgot, I dose conservatively with Flourish, and no CO2.

I second Alex's advice to add some potassium. I had the slow/no growth
in my tank for a long time too. Adding CO2 didn't seem to help much,
and the only thing I was able to grow well was algae. I started adding
potassium on the advice of some of the experts here, and my plants
went nuts. Every 10-14 days now I cut out handfuls of new growth.

Thanks all for your input, I'm going to try adding potassium, as it's the
easiest and cheapest route right now. CO2 is just too expensive, and I've
tried DIY on this tank, it's just too big.