Old 24-12-2005, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Slow or no Growth after repotting

Hey Everybody,
I repotted my phal violacea var alba in spike two weeks ago, the roots
had little green tips, but after I repotted they dissapeared or got
smaller, and the spike is growing a lot slower.
Could it just be recovering and storing energy for new root growth?
I repotted it from moss into moss
-eric

Old 24-12-2005, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave S

Hi Eric.

This isn't the best time of year for repotting. Unless the old media
was rotting this may have been ill advised. The lack of growth may be a
response to the short days right now.
Make sure your night temperatures stay above 65 F. Phal. violacea will
shut down with cooler nights. Alba forms tend to be a bit weaker than
types, but if you didn't damage the roots in the move it should be
fine. Keep it warm and in moderate light and it should start some new
root growth.

Dave

Old 24-12-2005, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Eric:
I once read in here that orchids sometimes shoot up a spike as a
last ditch effort to pollinate just as they're dying. You might try
cutting off the spike because of not too great a root system or watch
your watering (damp or dry) I once had my littlist orchid almost die-I
guess too much watering. I put it in a paper towel with a jar below for
support and each day as it dried out I watered it. This worked like a
charm-the roots took off like crazy and til this day I still have this
orchid. So what's the moral of the story? How bout experiment to see
what works best. Good luck
Burr

Old 24-12-2005, 10:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Adding to some of what's already been suggested, I'd guess that you have
shocked it a bit with the change in medium. "Moss to moss" may sound like
no change, but fresh- and old moss have entirely different chemistries due
to the accumulation of minerals and the organic decomposition process.

Being that the fresh moss is actually a better environment, crank up the
temperature to a 70° minimum and keep the humidity very high for a couple
of weeks, and it is likely to pick up where it left off.

oups.com...

Old 24-12-2005, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

I wouldn't cut a spike on Phal. violacea unless it was near death. They
usually only open one flower on a spike at a time.
-danny

Old 24-12-2005, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

We do not recommend repotting Phals in fall/winter, and especially not when
in spike or bud unless you are willing to sacrifice that spike to encourage
plant growth. The best time to repot, for most plants, is soon after they
bloom, when they start to make brand new roots and/or growths.

That said, if your plant was robust when you repotted, it will probably get
over it, and even go ahead and bloom without sustaining any lasting damage.
Orchids are TOUGH plants, that seem to have a tremendous will to live.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 24-12-2005, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well, luckily, temperatures in my growing area are 88F days and 71
nights, so that should help a lotand I'm growing under artificial
lighting, I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed, but it makes sense
what you talked about Ray, I read your article on root culture and
stuff
-Eric