Old 13-03-2005, 10:49 PM

Default PHOTOSYNTHESIS

what are the wavelengths that plants need to produce energy? do they
need uv-a and uv-b light or is normal light enough?

Old 13-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Richard Sexton

In article . com,
wrote:
what are the wavelengths that plants need to produce energy?

"Red and blue". It's a bit more complicated that that though;
the two primary photosynthetic pigments are chlorophyl A
and B. THeir absobtion peaks are at 430nm,662nm and 453nm,642nm
respectively.

But there are other photosynthetic pigments, that is the
range of light that results in photosynthesis does not
exactly match the absobrtion spectra of chlorophyll.

Caratinoids, whihc are red, orange and yellow in color
have their maximum absobrtion bewteen 460nm and 550nm.

do they need uv-a and uv-b light or is normal light enough?

UV stunts plant growth.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 14-03-2005, 03:38 AM
Watercress

Go to website of specialty fluorescent tube, for that for the Zoo-med
tubes. They have nice chart and everything.

And to answer your question, normal light is not enough. I assume you
mean normal fluorescent light. The good news is the specialty tubes
are not that expensive. I got my Zoo-med at about $8 a piece.

Incidentally, since you are asking this question, you probably have not
started this hobby. I just want to tell you that this hobby can be
quite time consuming, compared to say, just keeping a few topical fish.

Old 14-03-2005, 06:49 AM
Richard Sexton

Plants possess a number of pigments and if you look at O2 evolution
over the spectrum, 400-700 nm is the usable active radiation
wavelengths.

I'd suspect a two equivalent tanks one with green plants
and one with all very red plants (ie Alterneranthia) would
have different optimal absorbtion spectra though.

Not by much though if this is any indication:
http://www.msu.edu/course/lbs/145/lu...epsinPals.html

Old 14-03-2005, 06:52 AM
Richard Sexton

And to answer your question, normal light is not enough. I assume you
mean normal fluorescent light. The good news is the specialty tubes
are not that expensive. I got my Zoo-med at about $8 a piece.

Eh. A $2 warm white and a $2 cool white is fine. It's relaly a diminshed
return other than aesthetics if you spend even a tiny bit more.

Incidentally, since you are asking this question, you probably have not
started this hobby. I just want to tell you that this hobby can be
quite time consuming, compared to say, just keeping a few topical fish.

Doesn't have to be.

Old 15-03-2005, 06:06 AM
Watercress

$2? Where do you shop? I can't get those prices at Home Depot. The
normal tube are about $6 a piece I think. As for normal light, my
understanding is that it contains spectrum between red and blue. It
makes the light look brighter but encourages algae growth. Well, at
least that was what I read. The chart of that Zoo-med Flora Sun tube
showed two humps one at red and one at blue. To my eyes, the light
looked dim and unappealing, but my plants seem to like it.

Well, if you keep hardy fish in a fish only tank, you only need to do
weekly water changes and filter cleaning. To control algae, you only
need to keep the lights off when you are not viewing the fish. I don't
have to list what we need to do to keep our planted tanks thriving and
beautiful.

Old 15-03-2005, 06:56 AM
Richard Sexton

In article . com,
Watercress wrote:
$2? Where do you shop? I can't get those prices at Home Depot. The
normal tube are about $6 a piece I think. As for normal light, my
understanding is that it contains spectrum between red and blue. It
makes the light look brighter but encourages algae growth. Well, at
least that was what I read. The chart of that Zoo-med Flora Sun tube
showed two humps one at red and one at blue. To my eyes, the light
looked dim and unappealing, but my plants seem to like it.

Maybe it was a sale or something but there were $1.99 cool white
and warm white tubes at Home Depot around xmas.

Green makes tubes look brighter, not red or blue. But plants
can more easily utilize red and blue.