Old 18-05-2007, 06:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Unidentified hawk

I know I've got a pair of Red Shouldered Hawks in the neighborhood. I've
seen them in full daylight and even posted a pretty good shot of one here a
few months back.

This morning this hawk landed on my back fence in the gloom of early morning
and about all I really had was a silhouette, but somehow it does not look
quite right for an RSH.

Any thoughts?

Approximate length from top of head to tail is 17-1/2" to 19".
--
Paddy's Pig

Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified hawk-mystery-hawk.jpg
Old 18-05-2007, 06:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Padraig" wrote in
:

I know I've got a pair of Red Shouldered Hawks in the neighborhood.
I've seen them in full daylight and even posted a pretty good shot of
one here a few months back.

This morning this hawk landed on my back fence in the gloom of early
morning and about all I really had was a silhouette, but somehow it
does not look quite right for an RSH.

Any thoughts?

Approximate length from top of head to tail is 17-1/2" to 19".

Call me crazy, but the long tail and dark back, coupled with the relatively
light beak, makes me think immature peregrine falcon. Check out the length
of those talons.

Worth thinking about, but I'd never call it a confident ID. :-)

-Josh
Old 18-05-2007, 07:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Josh Hayes" wrote in message

Approximate length from top of head to tail is 17-1/2" to 19".

Call me crazy, but the long tail and dark back, coupled with the
relatively
light beak, makes me think immature peregrine falcon. Check out the length
of those talons.

Thanks Josh.

I overestimated its size. Not having any familiar object near it makes it
hard to compare sizes, so my estimate was way off. After sending the first
post I went out and measured that rectangular horizontal tube that it's
standing on and found that it's not as thick as I thought. It measures only
1-5/16" from top flange to bottom flange, so the animal's length is probably
only about 10" to 12" which would probably make this a Sharpie. It
resembles a Sharp-Shinned Hawk in shape and size but since I cannot see much
color or shading in this picture it's hard to know for sure.

I wish he'd have the courtesy to come around in broad daylight!
--
Paddy's Pig :-)

Old 18-05-2007, 07:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
RJP RJP is offline

On Fri, 18 May 2007 11:02:20 -0700, "Padraig"
wrote:

I overestimated its size. Not having any familiar object near it makes it
hard to compare sizes, so my estimate was way off. After sending the first
post I went out and measured that rectangular horizontal tube that it's
standing on and found that it's not as thick as I thought. It measures only
1-5/16" from top flange to bottom flange, so the animal's length is probably
only about 10" to 12" which would probably make this a Sharpie. It
resembles a Sharp-Shinned Hawk in shape and size but since I cannot see much
color or shading in this picture it's hard to know for sure.

I wish he'd have the courtesy to come around in broad daylight!

Yes, it's more an accipiter shape than a falcon shape, and the very
long tail confirms it. I see hints of wide bands in the tail, too (on
my monitor, anyway). If it truly is 10-12", then it's a Sharpie.

Randy
Old 18-05-2007, 07:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

[...]

This might be the one that swooped into the yard a couple of months ago when
there were 50 to a 100 birds feeding. They all bolted over the fence in
various directions instantaneously, with him in hot pursuit of one target
bird. I did not see the kill but I'm pretty sure he got something.

It's a funny thing. When one of the larger Red Shouldered Hawks lands high
up in one of the pine trees behind my fence all the birds at my feeders seem
pretty casual about it. It's as though they sense they may not be on the
menu because maybe they're too small or something.

But when the Sharpie comes around - Katie bar the door! I'm sure he makes a
living eating them and other small animals. I wish I had some kind of
raptor in the area who would chase all my cute little Cottontail bunnies
away!
--
Paddy's Pig

Old 19-05-2007, 04:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Cat man" wrote in news:lrq3i.62$hw.40@trndny08:

Peregrine Falcon, not a hawk.
Very common in Virginia.

See?

It wasn't just me!

:-)

That's what I get for believing Paddy's size estimate!

-Josh

Old 19-05-2007, 07:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Josh Hayes" wrote in message
"Cat man" wrote in news:lrq3i.62$hw.40@trndny08:

Peregrine Falcon, not a hawk.
Very common in Virginia.

See?

It wasn't just me!

:-)

That's what I get for believing Paddy's size estimate!

-Josh

I initally thought peregrine as well. We have a pair in our city that nests
on a hotel roof every year. They are amazing to watch!

http://www.hamiltonnature.org/hamfalcam3.html

Jacqui

Old 20-05-2007, 02:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 18 May 2007 10:18:41 -0700, "Padraig" wrote:

I know I've got a pair of Red Shouldered Hawks in the neighborhood. I've
seen them in full daylight and even posted a pretty good shot of one here a
few months back.

This morning this hawk landed on my back fence in the gloom of early morning
and about all I really had was a silhouette, but somehow it does not look
quite right for an RSH.

Any thoughts?

Approximate length from top of head to tail is 17-1/2" to 19".

It's definitely a Sharp-shinned Hawk. Not a Red-shouldered, not a
Peregrine, not anything else.