Old 19-07-2007, 09:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Today's pickins ;)

Just returned from the vegetable garden, decided to go tame some of the
tomato bushes by tying them to their cages and poles. Came back with bags
full of them.

Found a couple of green branches that broke off with green tomatoes on them.
What to do? Fry them? I never tried frying green tomatoes or any tomatoes
before, would appreciate a recipe .

Mariana
NJ

Attached Thumbnails
Today's pickins ;)-2007-vegetables-030a.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007 vegetables 027.jpg (109.5 KB, 97 views)
Old 19-07-2007, 09:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article UZPni.3979$I76.1892@trnddc05,
"Jane Doe" wrote:

Just returned from the vegetable garden, decided to go tame some of the
tomato bushes by tying them to their cages and poles. Came back with bags
full of them.

Found a couple of green branches that broke off with green tomatoes on them.
What to do? Fry them? I never tried frying green tomatoes or any tomatoes
before, would appreciate a recipe .

Mariana
NJ

begin 666 2007 vegetables 030a.jpg
[Image]

end

begin 666 2007 vegetables 027.jpg
[Image]

end

From: Terry Pogue
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Subject: Fried Green Tomatoes With Bacon Vinaigrette And Warm Frisee
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 03:48:22 +0000 (UTC)
Originator:
(Patricia Hill)

Fried Green Tomatoes With Bacon Vinaigrette And Warm Frisee

Serves12

Recipe By: C. Jackson

4 largegreen (unripe) tomatoes -- sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
1 garlic clove -- minced
1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 ounces thickly sliced bacon (6 slices) -- cut crosswise into 1/2- inch
strips
1 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Cayenne pepper
2 large eggs
1 tablespoons water
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoons dried thyme
Canola oil -- for frying
1 large frisee lettuce (1/2 pound) -- torn into pieces

In a large bowl, gently toss the tomatoes with the garlic and
olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and let stand for 10 minutes.
In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat
until crisp, 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 2
tablespoons of the fat; stir in the vinegar.
In a pie plate or shallow bowl, season 3/4 cup of the flour
with salt, pepper and cayenne. In another pie plate, whisk the eggs
with the water. In a third pie plate, mix the cornmeal with the
remaining 1/2 cup of flour and the thyme and season with salt, pepper
and cayenne. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Drain the tomatoes.
Working with 1 slice at a time, dip the tomatoes in the flour,
tapping off any excess, then dip in the beaten egg and then in the
cornmeal; press to help it adhere. Transfer the breaded slices to the
prepared baking sheet.
In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of canola oil until
shimmering. Fry the tomato slices in batches over moderately high
heat, turning once, until golden, 5 to 6 minutes per batch. Transfer
to a rack lined with paper towels to drain. Sprinkle the fried green
tomatoes with salt.
Rewarm the bacon fat and vinegar in the skillet over low heat.
Add the frisée, season with salt and pepper and toss until slightly
wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer the fried tomatoes to plates and top
with the wilted frisee. Garnish with the bacon and serve right away.
---

Recipe Notes

Any good bacon is wonderful in this tart, smoky and rich salad, but
Vitale especially likes the applewood-smoked kind from Nueske's in
Wisconsin (nueskes.com).

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at
.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 19-07-2007, 11:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Jane, I can almost taste fried green tomatoes. I grew up on them
and love them just the way Mom made them - simple but yummy!

Fried Green Tomatoes (Mom's way)
Slice into 1/4 slices
Dredge in corn meal
Salt and pepper to taste
Fry in bacon drippings and give each slice a very light sprinkle of sugar on
both sides
as you turn them in the skillet. Fry until soft on the inside and crisp and
lightly brown
on the outside. Enjoy!

Most people use dredge them in flour, but having grown up eating them
dredged
in cornmeal, the ones made with flour just don't do it for me.

Old 20-07-2007, 02:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Jane Doe wrote:
Just returned from the vegetable garden, decided to go tame some of the
tomato bushes by tying them to their cages and poles. Came back with bags
full of them.

Found a couple of green branches that broke off with green tomatoes on them.
What to do? Fry them? I never tried frying green tomatoes or any tomatoes
before, would appreciate a recipe .

Mariana
NJ

My uncle fried tomatoes, and bread, too, for breakfast. Just fry up a
mess of bacon and eggs, leave the fat in the fry pan, and drop in slices
of tomato and slices of bread. Turn once. Done when slightly browned --
you'll get a sense of how long it takes after the first couple of tries.
Tomatoes can be fried with the eggs and bacon. Yummy, especially when
you're semi-starved warbaby.

--
Wolf
'Just because it's true doesn't mean it's the right answer.'
Old 20-07-2007, 05:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I like my green tomatoes fryed CRISP!

Slice thin, flour and fry in vegeatable oil -- salt in the pan...fry to a
medium brown! MMMMMMMM!

I wish I had some of your green tomatoes...I can make a meal on them!

Lisa - IN
(Kylie's Garden - lovemyskincare.com)

Old 20-07-2007, 10:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
Just returned from the vegetable garden, decided to go tame some of the
tomato bushes by tying them to their cages and poles. Came back with bags
full of them.

Found a couple of green branches that broke off with green tomatoes on
them. What to do? Fry them? I never tried frying green tomatoes or any
tomatoes before, would appreciate a recipe .

Mariana
NJ

Put the green ones in a basket on your kitchen counter. Pick over them
daily. They'll ripen, promise, without having to put them in the sun or in a
drawer or with a banana ....

I do this with all the remnants I bring in when the weather gets cold. It
means that we have ripe tomatoes at Christmas.

Mary

Old 20-07-2007, 03:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:39:16 GMT, "Jane Doe"
wrote:

Just returned from the vegetable garden, decided to go tame some of the
tomato bushes by tying them to their cages and poles. Came back with bags
full of them.

Found a couple of green branches that broke off with green tomatoes on them.
What to do? Fry them? I never tried frying green tomatoes or any tomatoes
before, would appreciate a recipe .

Mariana
NJ

Wonderful. Do you like fried green tomatoes?

[IMG] code is On

Planted beans today Mceezee Gardening 4 27-03-2003 10:08 PM
Today Elinor has mostly been planting peas..... Chris French and Helen Johnson United Kingdom 8 26-03-2003 06:08 PM
Saw my first robin today :( Betsy Gardening 41 15-02-2003 02:27 AM
Saw my first Robin today Jo Gardening 2 03-02-2003 07:42 PM
Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:14 AM