Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Nana Rowe's lily - for Bob

01 taken at beginning of June when in bud, others taken a few days ago.

Mary

Attached Thumbnails
Nana Rowe's lily - for Bob-nana-rowe-stem-02-s.jpg   Nana Rowe's lily - for Bob-nana-rowe-01-s.jpg   Nana Rowe's lily - for Bob-nana-rowe-03-s.jpg   Nana Rowe's lily - for Bob-nana-rowe-stem-01-s.jpg
Old 03-07-2008, 11:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
01 taken at beginning of June when in bud, others taken a few days ago.

Mary

Sorry, I did reduce the size, honestly. Not enough, obviously :-(

Mary

Old 03-07-2008, 02:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote
01 taken at beginning of June when in bud, others taken a few days ago.

Sorry, I did reduce the size, honestly. Not enough, obviously :-(

Mary, that is a perfect picture of a monstrous growth, it's something that
happens to plants when the growing tip is damaged and it flattens out into a
line instead of a point. You often see Cacti grown like that deliberately,
making a sort of crest.
It may be a chemical you have used or some other reason so I would suggest
you repot when it's dormant, be careful what you use on it next season, and
see what happens next year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-07-2008, 03:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote
01 taken at beginning of June when in bud, others taken a few days ago.

Sorry, I did reduce the size, honestly. Not enough, obviously :-(

Mary, that is a perfect picture of a monstrous growth, it's something that
happens to plants when the growing tip is damaged and it flattens out into
a line instead of a point. You often see Cacti grown like that
deliberately, making a sort of crest.

Well, that's an answer of some kind, I've neve heard of it but don't hear of
much about lilies :-)

Or cacti ...

It may be a chemical you have used

I don't use any chemicals anywhere near it. Spouse uses Derris on the
gooseberry, as you know, but that's many yards away and he's very careful.

or some other reason

Could it be mechanical damage? I have a couple of hive supers round it to
keep away the hens but they were only put there after they were scratching
round.

so I would suggest you repot when it's dormant, be careful what you use on
it next season, and see what happens next year.

As I said, it happened last year although didn't flower.

And it's not in a pot, it's been in the open ground since we got it, never
disturbed except possibly by Zen, Gen and Rab, little buggers!

Should I keep it in a pot?

Thanks very much for your thoughtful reply.

Mary

Old 03-07-2008, 11:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote
[...]

If it's growing well in the ground then leave it there. It may be also a
virus that has caused the damage especially as you say this is the second
year it's grown in that way. At least this year, as it's flowered, you can
collect some seed to propagate it (in time!).
Martagon lilies didn't last long with me when I tried to grow them but we do
have a serious problem with lily beetle around here.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:
01 taken at beginning of June when in bud, others taken a few days ago.

Mary

Nice Series
WOW! What a profusion of blooms from one stem.
That species is a new one for me.
Bob
Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

If it's growing well in the ground then leave it there. It may be also a
virus that has caused the damage especially as you say this is the second
year it's grown in that way. At least this year, as it's flowered, you
can collect some seed to propagate it (in time!).
Martagon lilies didn't last long with me when I tried to grow them but we
do have a serious problem with lily beetle around here.

Ah - that's just reminded me. Spouse sprayed some nearby (1metre) different
lilies for beetle last year and this, on advice from urg. It wasn't a heavy
infestation but it was a chemical and you did mention possible chemical
damage ...

Mary
wondering

Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Williams" wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote:
01 taken at beginning of June when in bud, others taken a few days ago.

Mary

Nice Series
WOW! What a profusion of blooms from one stem.
That species is a new one for me.

It's not well :-) It's cetainly not characteristic of the type.

Normally it has far fewer flowers, larger and nopt in the same
conformation - spiraling round the stem rather than one-sided.

Mary