Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
RifRaf

Default Yellow spots on Nana leaves - Iron defficiency?

Happening on older leaves. It just opened up a brand new leaf today
and it looks perfect. Also, like I'd said, it's only happening on a
couple of the leaves.

No pl*co's in the tank. Only thing that could possibly be bothering
it is the SAE or one of the Ottos....which I doubt.

Other plants:

Red Ludwiga
Cabomba
Java Fern

Chris

The Nana has always looked great but in the last couple weeks, I've
noticed some yellow spotting on SOME of the leaves...not all of them.

Old or new leaves?

Do you have a pl*co or something that could be damaging the leaves?

What other plants are in the tank?

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
kush

I have both ottos and plecos and (significantly) used to have lots of
anubias. The ottos are anubias scrapers and the plecos are munchers. So,
your description sounds more like otto damage but, even more likely, a
deficiency.

Because anubias grows so slowly the damage takes a long time to become
really grotty. I would think that your stems would have given you notice of
a deficiency long before the anubias. How long have the stem plants been in
the tank, and how well are the growing?

kush

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
RifRaf

Cabomba's are growing like they always do....not dense but grow like
crazy in overall length. Nicely green in color....just not very dense
at all.

Java Fern is growing hideously fast. Some leaves are two-toned green
(half leaf is darker green than rest of leat).

Red Ludwiga is new. Is growing seriously fast. Leaves at the top of
the water already and MUCH bigger than leaves below. very red leaves
near top. Looks healthy from what I can tell.

Nana just sprouted new leaf. Looks great except the green spot algae
on 90% of the leaves.

I can snap some pix of the yellow spots on the Nana and post a link if
that would help.

Chris

Other plants:

Red Ludwiga
Cabomba
Java Fern

How do they look?

Anubias are so slow-growing I'd expect the other plants to show any deficiency
long before the anubias did.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
RifRaf

Pardon my ignorance, but which are the stem plants? Cabomba and
Ludwiga?

Ludwiga has only been in the tank for about 2 weeks now.
Cabomba's were kind of a mistake. I removed them initially but
apparently some roots sprouted and now there's about 4 stems that have
already reached the top water line. (ie, fast).

Chris

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
RifRaf

I'll get some links up tomorrow afternoon.

Chris

I can snap some pix of the yellow spots on the Nana and post a link if
that would help.

Yes, do that!

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
kush

All three are stem plants.

kush

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
RifRaf

Parameters:

Tank 5 gallon tank
Lighting 13W CF 6700K (6 month old bulb)
Temp ~78F
pH 6.0 (AQ test) (Lower than I thought)
KH ~17.9ppm (AQ test kit showed color change nearly immediately)
GH ~36-54ppm (AQ test - hard to tell)
NO3 ZERO (AQ test)
CO2 15ppm (as measured by LaMotte CO2 test kit)

Water changes: 20% once a week (last water change was nearly a week
ago)

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...aFernTips1.jpg
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...aFernTips2.jpg
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...NanaYellow.jpg

Yes....that's green spot algae on the front glass.

Chris

I'll get some links up tomorrow afternoon.

Great. Post your tank parameters, if you know them. Size of tank, amount of
lighting, pH, KH, GH, temperature, nitrate reading, how often you do water
changes.

FWIW, it's probably not iron deficiency, if it's the old leaves being affected.
Have you see Chuck's page?

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
RifRaf

KH ~17.9ppm (AQ test kit showed color change nearly immediately)
GH ~36-54ppm (AQ test - hard to tell)

Your water is very soft. You might benefit from harder water. Is it this soft
coming out of the tap?

ARgghh....I knew I forgot to measure someting....was going to do that.
I'll meaure it later.

NO3 ZERO (AQ test)

That could be your problem. Nitrate should not be zero in a planted tank. See
Chuck's article on adding nitrate:

.....and that's even after not having done any vacuuming for several
weeks.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nitrate.htm

I suspect what's happened is that you recently added some fast-growing stem
plants, and they are out-competing the slower-growing plants for nutrients.

Actually, I had a bunch of Cabomba in there....which grew fast but
thinned out so much and started dissentigrating and making a mess that
I just pulled it out......then about 4 stalks starting growing out of
the gravel.....so I just let them grow....and GROW they did!

Otherwise, the Red Ludwiga that I've had in there for about 1-2 weeks
is growing like CRAZY!

It can be difficult to keep both fast and slow-growing plants in the same tank.
Some people do it, but I haven't been able to. My java fern turned black and
died, my anubias got covered with algae and stopped growing. I ended up
setting up a tank just for slower growing plants like java fern, anubias,
Bolbitis, and various mosses. They just didn't do well in my high-light,
high-tech tank. Not, I suspect, because they didn't like bright light and CO2
injection, but because they couldn't compete with the fast growing plants I
keep in that tank.

Would someting like Duplaplant gravel sticks (or whatever they're
called) help this situation? Can I somehow fertizize?

I plan on migrating to a 10 gal shortly and using the Flourite
substrate (wish I'd done this the first time)
Will this help the situation?

Chris